Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Tonight's memorable selection:

Bavarois of Wild Alaskan King Salmon, cucumber salad, smoked sable I was amused that our server asked if I knew what a Bavarois was, and mentioned that they've had a number of people send it back. Chunk of moist tender salmon, sliced of egg, sprig of tarragon (I think), in a salmon pink creamy gelatin, served with paper thin slices of cucumber with dill and what I guess is creme fraiche, and slices of smoked sable. Delicious. I haven't made a Bavarois in years but that will change.

Edited by Heather

Tonight's memorable selection:

Bavarois of Wild Alaskan King Salmon, cucumber salad, smoked sable  I was amused that our server asked if I knew what a Bavarois was, and mentioned that they've had a number of people send it back.  Chunk of moist tender salmon, sliced of egg, sprig of tarragon (I think), in a salmon pink creamy gelatin, served with paper thin slices of cucumber with dill and what I guess is creme fraiche, and slices of smoked sable.  Delicious.  I haven't made a Bavarois in years but that will change.

Please enlighten the rest of us: what is a bavarois? Sounds like a great dish.

Please enlighten the rest of us: what is a bavarois? Sounds like a great dish.

Larousse defines it as a cold dessert made with custard and stiffened with gelatine, mixed with whipped cream and sometimes fruit puree or other flavors, and set in a mold. Orange bavarian cream served in a hollowed orange was one of my favorite dinner party dessert for years - looks great and dead easy. A savory version is a neat twist.

The definition goes on to say it's similar to a moscovite so I had to look that up, and interestingly the entry below it (a la moscovite) includes a listing for Salmon a la moscovite: salmon covered in jellied mayonnaise, with slices of truffle, hard cooked egg, and tarragon leaves, and covered in aspic. Sounds delicious.

In Palena's case, I don't know...the menu changes daily. I guess they could put up a representative seasonal menu, but given a choice, I'd rather let them focus on the food. :P

How about a campaign to get Palena to update their web site?

Had dinner with two friends in the main dining room at Palena last night. The food was fabulous as always. One of my friends had something or other which came with a bavarois of avocado. My friend imagines he doesn't like avocado, and is almost tempted to ask them to leave that item off the plate. The plate comes, he tastes, he swoons, he is changed forever. The gnocchi last night were sauced with sweet corn; a beautiful dish. The papardelle, which I unfortunately didn't order for myself but tasted off my friend's plate, were astonishing, with a brilliantly green basil sauce that tasted as vivid as it looked. How do you keep basil that green when you pulverize it? I should have thought it would blacken. The cod I had as a 3rd course was so luscious, it changed my mind about cod, which I usually find a kind of boring fish (except for salt cod, which I've loved since a sojourn in Portugal).

Upthread somewhere there were some comments on possibly bad or slow service in the Palena main room. Well, the courses have always come out of the kitchen at Palena at a rather...deliberate pace, but that's not a service issue. I have never had anything less than good service there, and last night I and my friends felt very well taken care of indeed. Thanks, Roger. :P

Unfortunately they had just sold out of it last night when I was there. :P

Instead, I had wine and cheese. Three of the four cheeses were wonderful, but the fourth? My friend and I really thought it was gross (and we LOVE stinky cheeses). This one didn't stink so much as leave a lingering sourness on the palate. We devoured a goat blue, savored a cheese described as akin to manchego and consumed another blue (details forgotten) with gusto. But after one taste each of that fourth...thing, it went untouched.

Unfortunately they had just sold out of it last night when I was there.  :P

Instead, I had wine and cheese.  Three of the four cheeses were wonderful, but the fourth?  My friend and I really thought it was gross (and we LOVE stinky cheeses).  This one didn't stink so much as leave a lingering sourness on the palate.  We devoured a goat blue, savored a cheese described as akin to manchego and consumed another blue (details forgotten) with gusto.  But after one taste each of that fourth...thing, it went untouched.

Do you remember what it was?

Unfortunately they had just sold out of it last night when I was there.   :P

Instead, I had wine and cheese.  Three of the four cheeses were wonderful, but the fourth?  My friend and I really thought it was gross (and we LOVE stinky cheeses).  This one didn't stink so much as leave a lingering sourness on the palate.  We devoured a goat blue, savored a cheese described as akin to manchego and consumed another blue (details forgotten) with gusto.  But after one taste each of that fourth...thing, it went untouched.

Wass it 'bruss'?

In the past week I have had the pleasure of the Roman bread soup twice. If I thought they wouldn't look at me funny for walking in two nights in a row I would probably have gone and had another bowl tonight.

Imagine your grandmother's chicken soup with melted saltines. But instead of saltines there is wonderful bread, adding body to the soup. Sprinkled around are pieces of tomato. Enough so you know they are there but not too much to take over the dish. In the background is a flavor you can't quite figure out as it entices your tongue. A peek later at the menu reveals marjoram. Finish it with a drizzle of olive oil that adds and earthy finish to each spoonful.

Floating on top is a perfectly coddled hen egg. Break it open and the yolk creates a creamy texture that swirls around the broth allowing you to choose the texture of your next quiet slurp.

That is the magic that is the soup.

In the past week I have had the pleasure of the Roman bread soup twice.  If I thought they wouldn't look at me funny for walking in two nights in a row I would probably have gone and had another bowl tonight.

Imagine your grandmother's chicken soup with melted saltines.  But instead of saltines there is wonderful bread, adding body to the soup.  Sprinkled around are pieces of tomato.  Enough so you know they are there but not too much to take over the dish.  In the background is a flavor you can't quite figure out as it entices your tongue.  A peek later at the menu reveals marjoram.  Finish it with a drizzle of olive oil that adds and earthy finish to each spoonful.

Floating on top is a perfectly coddled hen egg.  Break it open and the yolk creates a creamy texture that swirls around the broth allowing you to choose the texture of your next quiet slurp.

That is the magic that is the soup.

Damn that sounds good. Looks like I will need to make a stop there on Thursday evening.

Hey Palena lovers--

I'm hitting Palena twice this week to celebrate my birthday. A bit indulgent I know, but Wednesday in the cafe and Thursday in the back room. I've never eaten in their formal dining room before so I'm very excited about that. I'm hoping gnocchi will be on the menu! Besides that, what other recent back room dishes are can't miss?? Thanks!

Hey Palena lovers--

I'm hitting Palena twice this week to celebrate my birthday.  A bit indulgent I know,  but Wednesday in the cafe and Thursday in the back room.  I've never eaten in their formal dining room before so I'm very excited about that.  I'm hoping gnocchi will be on the menu!  Besides that, what other recent back room dishes are can't miss??  Thanks!

Next time you are in the cafe look at the non-cafe menu as that is what is served in the back room. I have had a very good lamb shoulder and the Kobe steak has been very good the couple of times that I have chosen that.

Ok, I've been lurking and reading for a while now as a guest and only just got around to finally registering. I've appreciated everything I've read so far (esp steering me towards Courderoy's scallops).

Anyway, I'm hoping to finally try out the cafe at Palena some time in the near future (after all the raves on here and on Tom's chat)...what is the one thing that I absolutely can't miss? No dietary restrictions, so I'm up for whatever! I'm sure I can't really go wrong with anything, but I need some direction! :P

I LOVE the chicken.

However, my love for the chicken is only surpassed by my love for the gnocchi. I could definitely eat two servings of that stuff. It just melts in your mouth.

The second time I ordered it, I didn't realize that it came in a different preparation...and came out with a pork ragu. Unfortunately, I don't eat pork and it was my own fault (i.e. I just ordered the gnocchi without even looking at the menu). The bartender asked me if I wanted it prepared a different way, and I said anything simple is fine. It back came out with olive oil and chives and was heavenly. I thought it was a very classy thing to do and certainly beyond the call of duty of a restaurant.

When my husband's out of town, I go to Palena Cafe and sit at the bar, start with a glass of the Jessie's Grove Zinfandel and figure out what other menu item is going to go well with the gnocchi. (I think the chicken + gnocchi + one of dessert is way too much food for me, and dessert is certainly a must).

I love the chocolate tart (though, for me, that generally needs to be shared) and the lime tart. I was there for dessert 2 weekends ago, and was SO disappointed to find that the lime tart wasn't on the menu. I was happily sated with the chocolate tart, though.

Last night, we had the tomato bread soup that hillvalley loves so much, and we were definitely not disappointed. It was awesome. Add in a cafe salad, the pappardelle (mine - yum), a burger, a cheese plate, cookies and several glasses of wine and the result was three happy campers.

Well, until one of the three discovered that her wallet was missing (that trick again??) and another of three (ok, me) picked up the tab. Still, <$100 pre-tip for three? I can do that.

All's well that ends well - her wallet was at the office and I have dinner coming to me soon. :lol:

So the Palena birthday double-header was fabulous--- the cafe was delicious as always. I can't get away from the fry plate and chicken. I always intend to try something new but I can't resist that chicken.

The backroom did not disappoint. The service was great and that gnocchi really does just melt in your mouth! The only mild disappointment was the baltimore lemon cake was a little dry, but with the raspberry sauce and lime sorbet it was better. Is that the style of the cake?

Alright, am I really the only person in the town who doesn't like the fries?   :lol:   

Yes. :P

Actually I've only had them a few times and remember them being crispy enough, but with a few limp ones in the batch. But I liked the potatoes dauphines the best. And I remember liking the aioli with the hot sauce for dipping.

Edited by bilrus

Yes. :lol:

Actually I've only had them a few times and remember them being crispy enough, but with a few limp ones in the batch.  But I liked the potatoes daupines the best.  And I remember liking the aioli with the hot sauce for dipping.

I'm pretty sure that Frank Ruta could make crispy fries if that was what he was trying to achieve. If I could change one thing on that plate, I'd increase the fried-lemon-to-onion-ring ratio, but that's because I'm a citrus slut (although the rings are quite good with that dipping sauce).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Happy day before your bday, gnathrobed! Way to go, double header at Palena!

As for the fries, each time I've had them, they've never been particularly crisp, just good. They're hand cut potatoes, fried twice in oil? Maybe?

But shoooot, put enough of that aioli on it and anything tastes good!

I'm pretty sure that Frank Ruta could make crispy fries if that was what he was trying to achieve.  If I could change one thing on that plate, I'd increase the fried-lemon-to-onion-ring ratio, but that's because I'm a citrus slut (although the rings are quite good with that dipping sauce).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Dinner last night at Palena consisted of: mixed salad, burger, roasted chix and veal. The veal was below average...tasted like baby food fried in bread crumbs...I couldn't tell whether I was eating "protein" or meat-flavored Gerber. The anchovies that came with it was the highlight of that dish.

I would definitely go back for the burger and fries but nothing else...

Dinner last night at Palena consisted of: mixed salad, burger, roasted chix and veal.  The veal was below average...tasted like baby food fried in bread crumbs...I couldn't tell whether I was eating "protein" or meat-flavored Gerber.  The anchovies that came with it was the highlight of that dish.

I was at Palena Friday evening, and one of the courses I had was "Squab 'Pojarski,' a riff on a classic Russian dish.

I found the origin of Pojarski on answers.com, where they have a webpage devoted to foods named after people:

Veal cutlets Pojarski – Pojarski is said to have been a cook/innkeeper favored by tzar Nicholas I because of his version of minced veal or beef cutlets. Sometimes called meat balls Pojarski, the originals were reformed on veal chop bones for presentation.

Your veal sounded suspiciously close to the squab presentation I had on Friday, and so I wrote Frank Ruta to inquire about it. Sure enough, you had "Veal 'Pojarski'. Instead of being served with house-cured sauerkraut like my squab was, the veal last night was offered with house-cured anchovies, borlotti beans, and a parsley sauce. The meat is finely chopped by hand, then re-formed into the shape of a veal chop, with the bone re-inserted to complete the look.

In Frank's own words: "The meat is ground seasoned only with salt and paprika. Separately, stale bread is soaked and completely imbibed with cream. The two are then chopped together by hand into an homogenous paste. Chilled then shaped, insert bone, standard breading procedure. Shallow fat fried when ordered. I can imagine the roots of the dish. Hungarian or Polish cookery. A butcher or housewife needs to make do with the meat she has. I find it completely satisfying."

I can understand not liking the dish, but it might be hasty to dismiss this fascinating presentation as 'Gerber' without having investigated the rationale behind it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

while totally biased, because i work at palena...i sat at the bar last wednesday to try the pojarski that we in the kitchen had been so intrigued by (i thought pojarski was a character from "Welcome Back, Kotter). I thought it was delicous. The type of food that the flavor just lingers in the mouth for a good while.

In Frank's own words:  "The meat is ground seasoned only with salt and paprika. Separately, stale bread is soaked and completely imbibed with cream. The two are then chopped together by hand into an homogenous paste. Chilled then shaped, insert bone, standard breading procedure. Shallow fat fried when ordered. I can imagine the roots of the dish. Hungarian or Polish cookery. A butcher or housewife needs to make do with the meat she has. I find it completely satisfying."

I can understand not liking the dish, but it might be hasty to dismiss this fascinating presentation as 'Gerber' without having investigated the rationale behind it.

I grew up eating "koteleten" --Russian-style pan fried burgers made with ground beef or ground veal and panade (only my mother used cracker meal soaked in milk instead of bread in cream). However, they were always seasoned more assertively than just with salt and paprika. Like onion, garlic, Worcestershire, pepper. When I make Veal Koteleten a la Pojarsky, I use ground veal, finely chopped shallot, a drizzle of white wine in the panade, finely minced fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme, chervil--depends on what I have in the refrig), grated lemon zest, salt and white pepper. The ovoid patties are rolled in seasoned cracker meal and pan fried in oil and butter. Served with fresh lemon wedges. These babies are deLICious, not Gerberous in the least. Much as I admire Frank Ruta--we're going to the cafe for dinner tonight--the thought of a ground veal patty seasoned only with salt and paprika sounds unworthy of his exceptional talent. I mean, when I go to Palena, I'm looking for something a bit more than what a making-do Polish housewife might put on the table.

Edited by zoramargolis

Much as I admire Frank Ruta--we're going to the cafe for dinner tonight--the thought of a ground veal patty seasoned only with salt and paprika sounds unworthy of his exceptional talent. I mean, when I go to Palena, I'm looking for something a bit more than what a making-do Polish housewife might put on the table.

Do you really think Frank Ruta makes this the same way a "making-do Polish housewife" would? Even if the recipe's the same, I'm pretty sure that the output is different. Frank is truly an amazing talent and I don't have to say that because I worked at Palena, he stopped signing my paychecks a year ago.

The Gerber comment is a bit much. I remember Cathal Armstrong's comment about how he felt when "pratts [tell] me that what I put my heart and soul into 16 hours a day six days a week is 'nothing special', 'no wow factor'. Like Cathal, Frank breaks his back, literally, making this stuff. It's fantastic, continues to be fantastic, and he's as good as it gets in this city and I'll let you know outside of the city once I spend some more time at some three-star Michelin joints.

That's my rant.

Dinner last night at Palena consisted of: mixed salad, burger, roasted chix and veal.  The veal was below average...tasted like baby food fried in bread crumbs...I couldn't tell whether I was eating "protein" or meat-flavored Gerber.  The anchovies that came with it was the highlight of that dish.

Did you bother to transmit this to either the server or the manager at the time? Next day, on the internet, anonymously, is kind of lame. This is a small community. Just my opinion. Pojarski is a classic dish. It might even be in Repertoire de la Cuisine. "Meat flavored Gerber" is kind of rude and insulting, IMHO.

EDITED TO ADD: ROCKS, THIS SHOULD BE A REAL NAME SITE, NOT LAME ANONYMOUS TAGS.

Edited by Mark Slater

Why Moan and Complain on a sight like this. Look we are are human beings we are going to have off nights. But if you tell us while it is happening we can try to fix it. But if you write about it online the next day the restaurant cannot change anything. Please if you have a problem with food or service in a restaurant tell someone about it in real time.

I found the origin of Pojarski on answers.com, where they have a webpage devoted to foods named after people:

Of course they do. Isn't the internet great?

Your veal sounded suspiciously close to the squab presentation I had on Friday, and so I wrote Frank Ruta to inquire about it.  Sure enough, you had "Veal 'Pojarski'.  Instead of being served with house-cured sauerkraut like my squab was, the veal last night was offered with house-cured anchovies, borlotti beans, and a parsley sauce.  The meat is finely chopped by hand, then re-formed into the shape of a veal chop, with the bone re-inserted to complete the look. 

Thanks for looking that up, Don.

To me, Palena's burger and fried lemons are good, but I am far more interested in trying Chef Ruta's experiments (experiments informed by history or tradition), like this or the riff on Salmon a la moscovite I had last month. Even if you don't like something it can always be an occasion to find out more: what country was the original dish from and what inspired the chef to do his variation? Is it in Larousse or another cookbook? Could I do this at home? What would I do to make this more to my taste?

And I agree about using real names.

Frank is truly an amazing talent...

...Frank breaks his back, literally, making this stuff....It's fantastic, continues to be fantastic, and he's as good as it gets in this city...

No argument from me about this. I've been posting for years on local boards that Palena deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with Citronelle, Maestro and Laboratorio as the best restaurants in DC. I have had breathtaking dishes at Palena--the boudin blanc is the most ethereally exquisite morsel that has ever passed my lips. I have dreams about the housemade bacon. Ruta is a culinary magician. Does that mean that everything on the menu every night is always equally fabulous? He's human, how could it be? That isn't true anywhere else, either. The night I went to Maestro, I thought the highly touted Turbot in Hay Sauce was completely uninteresting. The fish was flavorless and the sauce no more than a clever idea. It didn't work for me at all. The rest of the dishes I had that night were fabulous. Does that mean I think less of Fabio's talent? Absolutely not! But when the bar is set very high, the diner's expectations are as well. No restaurant can bat 1,000. Is the sense of disappointment more acute when a dish doesn't deliver the anticipated measure of pleasure, in a place like Maestro or Palena? Unfortunately, for those gifted chefs like Frank Ruta, it is. Especially when the diner is someone who may need to save up and splurge on special meals only for very special occasions. Let's keep it in perspective, though. Crazeegirl expressing her disappointment on DR.com is not Sietsema in the Washington Post, although given the drubbing she's gotten here, she's not likely to express any opinions again, negative or positive.

As a creative artist, I have had the exhilarating experience of being applauded and praised by audiences and critics. And the gut-wrenching, painful experience of being rejected and trashed in print. And I know with complete certainty that the people who praised my talent were perceptive and discerning, and that the idiot who trashed me was a mental midget who had no clue about the years of pain and passion that went into the work that he so viciously dismissed after a casual glance. So what else is new?

As a creative artist, I have had the exhilarating experience of being applauded and praised by audiences and critics. And the gut-wrenching, painful experience of being rejected and trashed in print. And I know with complete certainty that the people who praised my talent were perceptive and discerning, and that the idiot who trashed me was a mental midget who had no clue about the years of pain and passion that went into the work that he so viciously dismissed after a casual glance. So what else is new?

:lol:

No argument from me about this. I've been posting for years on local boards that Palena deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with Citronelle, Maestro and Laboratorio as the best restaurants in DC. I have had breathtaking dishes at Palena--the boudin blanc is the most ethereally exquisite morsel that has ever passed my lips. I have dreams about the housemade bacon. Ruta is a culinary magician. Does that mean that everything on the menu every night is always equally fabulous? He's human, how could it be?.......Let's keep it in perspective, though. Crazeegirl expressing her disappointment on DR.com is not Sietsema in the Washington Post, although given the drubbing she's gotten here, she's not likely to express any opinions again, negative or positive.

I am all for freedom of expression, praise and condemnation. However, Frank Ruta is not just some hack cook in a greasy spoon diner. He deserves respect. It is one thing to say "I didn't care for the texture of this dish", or, "the spicing was out of balance" (all of which can be transmitted to the server/manager in a non-confrontational way). "Gerber baby food fried in bread crumbs" is laying it on a bit thick, IMO, and I objected to it.

it was amazing to me the amount of controversy that was generated by one phooey about palena a week or so ago, as if the restaurant were incapable on its own of standing up to the criticism. this is one place you can be sure the food will rise to special occasions, but we had never tried the cafe until saturday night, and everything glowing that has been posted on don rockwell is spot on. i never imagined the pomodoro would be so good. i thought the postings here were probably exaggerations, but if anything they were understatements simply because you can't really put it into words. you have to eat it. babies should eat it, too, and if i had one i would make sure to carry some home. the whole street food thing that is going on here -- hamburgers, fries, cinammon scented chicken -- takes some favorite american foods to places they have seldom gone before. a crab blini was excellent, and, i just noticed, not on the bill. for dessert, we only had room for an apple cream tart with cranberries. there were still a couple of open tables in the cafe area when we departed around 7:30, asking ourselves how can it be?

Edited by giant shrimp

Had a nice dinner outside at Palena this evening. I started off with the Heirloom tomato salad that had about 5 variations of tomatoes on it. I was accompanied with a tiny brucheta topped with anchovies and a mousse of avocado. The menu description did not mention the avocado mousse on it and I asked the waiter what it was and he said he thought it was a cheese but that he would check to be sure, good thing he did. I then had the veal raviolinnis (sp?) with sliced veal tongue and it was excellent. I also got to taste the gnocchi that was delicious as usual. This version had a really fresh pesto sauce on it. Since Dino opened I hadn't been to Palena nearly as much as I used to, but I was glad we went tonight.

we were at the cafe on tuesday night and the place seemed on the deserted side, leaving at about 8:30, and even the back seemed quiet. i noticed two large parties heading there, and not much more. which got me wondering if maybe business is slowing down in the dc area. dino's looked like it had empty tables as well, though i am not sure, because the entire restaurant looks so orange tomato from the street.

our son said the hot dog was the best he has ever had, and loves the pickling here, and also made it most of the way through a burger and fries, but, as an ex-bartender, denounced the mojito. i traded him for a great sidecar and found his potion acceptable, though not for quaffing, a bit too syrupy (creme de methe?) for the real thing. the martinis here provide outstanding fortification. a glass of pinot d'alsace went well with japanese sea bass accompanied by red pepper. the salad was excellent, with the best-tasting beets i have had in some time. no room for dessert, which was a crying shame. and there were way too many items on the menu we had to leave until next time.

I had another enjoyable solo meal at the bar, reminding me that it's been far too long since my last trip there. As others have commented, it was a bit quieter than I remember it being back in the spring, but it's nice that way--doesn't feel like a mob scene, but more like the serene and elegant place that it is.

I started with the charchuterie plate, and loved sampling the 3-4 different items, namely fabulous squab rilletes (which had a perfect consistency and saltiness-- you could really taste each little morsel of squab), a pate spread on crostini, pickled cabbage and potatoes of some kind. (Forgive me if this isn't precise...). Also two excellent leaves of arugula--peppery and wonderful. Everything was light, yet full of flavor. Perfect. Next, of course, I had the gnoochi, which is now prepared with pesto, beans and potatoes. (In that regard, very similar to the preparation at Notti Bianche, although I don't think their gnoochi had the beans.) Excellent as usual.

I could not resist the cheesecake (sour cream and goat cheese) with a raspberry sauce, complete with lime curd and a cookie on top. Now, my favorite dessert was the lime tart, so I ate the cookie and curd separately (almost making it two desserts), in an attempt to relive that experience. The cheesecake was great--nothing heavy or unnecessary richness, but had the distinct sour cream/goat cheese flavor. A few blackberries finished it off.

Struck up a very nice conversation with JLK, :lol: and had excellent service from Arrity (sp?--sorry!). All in all, just a very nice solo evening--what I've come to expect from Palena!

I had a VERY quick dinner at the bar tonight before a meeting. Getting there early makes all the difference!

The veal raviolinis (sp?) were terrific and the sauce was great--perfect to soak up with the bread.

The pesto version of the gnocchi was also amazing. Yum! More bread soaked up the extra sauce.

(I know...two pasta dishes but what can a girl do?)

The sour cream goat cheesecake was lovely but not nearly as good as the pumpkin version. Roger (?) consoled me that it is still too early for pumpkin season.

Took home cookies to Mr. BLB who was working late.

Sipped a very much needed Bronx too...

I also haven't been in much lately--not really sure why. Dino is probably a factor. We've had lots of baseball and I've been working like mad. My affection for Firefly is too... Whatever the excuses, I need to get back more often.

Are they doing Saturday lunch again? Cleveland Park book sale is this weekend...

Jennifer

Palena was closed yesterday for the Columbus Day holiday. You should have seen my face when I arrived and found the restaurant lights dimmed and a sign on the door. :lol:

Still, dinner at Dino was very enjoyable. Great to have more options in CP.