Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

I had a meal in the back room at Palena about 2 weeks ago, but I haven't been to try the bar menu in a couple of months.  Can someone give an overview of what's currently on it?  Anything good for a vegetarian dining buddy?

Well, I can say with some confidence that any veggie that meets Palena's kitchen makes its mark. Sure bets are the soup and salads (with substitutions maybe), as well as those rockstar fries and the gnocchi. I love beets at Palena, mushrooms, rooty vegetables, beans (yeah, beans!). There are dishes that highlight the egg, as well. Or if worse comes to worse, eat extra dessert.

Edited by Meaghan

Jennifer, you were at Palena tonight as well? I was there, doomed to one of the side tables in the rear, and enjoyed a fabulous meal]. Not mentioned in my blog post, the deliciousness of the Sicilian Martini, Marisa's "Lily" (Prosecco and Pomegranate juice) and later, my Manhattan. Yum.

We later had a jenga-type contest with the pumpkin and goat cheese cake, to see who would make the cake "tower" tower. I won.

Oh, and MelGold was also spotted there tonight. Quite a night for Rockwellers out and about.

K

beans (yeah, beans!).

the minestrone is hardly vegetarian, but it is worth its beans, which hold their own against the small meatballs. a lesson i am slowly learning: cook them until they break. they burst with flavor at palena because of it (at first i thought instructions in an italian recipe to simmer soaked garbanzo beans half the afternoon were mad, until i followed them.) it is no surprise by now the lengths they will go to in this kitchen.

The minestrone also has bacon (making it my favorite soup squared).

Yep, I was in last night. My +1 and I arrived around 7:30 and were sitting at the left end of the bar, near Meaghan's favorite bit o' artwork. :) I had the corned beef dish ('na piccolo belotti? I'm botching that I know). Delicious. I chased the hen's egg with at least two pieces of bread when the meat was consumed. The pesto-like condiment that came with it was also wonderful although I couldn't name the various ingredients.

Very limited Cafe menu tonight; burger, salad, fries, chicken, and maybe one other item. No big deal for me as I was getting the chicken. Nothing to add about the usual items, but the chocolate mocha eclair was killer!

I had a pleasant, celebratory meal at the bar at Palena last night. The only minor downers for me were 1. the cafe menu was still on the brief side (desperate for minestrone!!!!), like mdt said, and 2. I got the broken bar stool (you know the one with the big chunk missing from the back). Like I said, minor.

There was a nice contingent of dr.com types present. In addition, I was there with one member (who can self-identify, if desired) plus an unregistered reader (you know who you are!!).

We ordered a nice sampling of dishes from both menus including a fry plate, beef carpaccio (genius), gnocchi (love that sausage-filled sauce!), veal cheeks (these were new for me; truly delicious, with a nice hint of sweetness that does not overwhelm), chicken, a cheese plate and cookies.

One of my companions ordered the wine. All I can say about that is that he made a fine selection.

Arrity is back from vacation. She hooked me up with one of those delicious mocha eclairs. Yum!

I was in the bar at Palena last night as well - in a booth with my wife and in-laws. The chicken was, as always, perfect, and the gnocchi were loved by all. We did have a bit of a wierd service moment - the server (whom I did not know), came over to our table and insisted on cutting our chicken for us. He then proceeded to do just that, ignoring the fact that we were already eating said birds, and were quite happy to cut them ourselves. Fortunately, he did stop when he was asked to, repeatedly. If only he were doing this while on a Segway...

Anyway, another memorable evening at Palena, albeit one with a bizzare service issue. One of these days I'll bring myself to try something other than the gnocchi and the chicken.

I was in the bar at Palena last night as well - in a booth with my wife and in-laws. The chicken was, as always, perfect, and the gnocchi were loved by all. We did have a bit of a wierd service moment - the server (whom I did not know), came over to our table and insisted on cutting our chicken for us. He then proceeded to do just that, ignoring the fact that we were already eating said birds, and were quite happy to cut them ourselves. Fortunately, he did stop when he was asked to, repeatedly. If only he were doing this while on a Segway...

Anyway, another memorable evening at Palena, albeit one with a bizzare service issue. One of these days I'll bring myself to try something other than the gnocchi and the chicken.

That is truly bizzare!! You're already eating the chicken and the server insists on cutting it up for you despite your protests? How inexpicable.

That is truly bizzare!!  You're already eating the chicken and the server insists on cutting it up for you despite your protests? How inexpicable.

Yes, it was bizarre. He got through one chicken before we were able to dissuade him from going further. It was odd, but no matter. The food was delicious as always, and I can't wait to go back.

I had a second birthday dinner, on my actual birthday, at Palena last night. Hadn't planned to but it seemed like just the thing to do. Got there just after 6:30 as the parking in front turned legal again.

Kelly seated us in a booth up front. We started with 2 Bronx's. I'm easy--I prety much love a drink with Gin.

We split the pork and beans which was wonderfuly rich--housemade bacon, great beans and a coddled egg. I know some folks say that you should order any dish at Palena that has the housemade pork. Personally I think you should order anything with the coddled eggs.

I had the burger--I haven't had it in ages and I'd been daydreaming about it. Perfect as always.

Mr. BLB had the gnocchi and let me have a taste or two. I still like the version before this one better--but this is darn good to.

He had the eclair for dessert. I thought my taste was disappointing and reminded me of my failed attempts at making them in junior high--the dough was tough. I had the pumkin goatcheese cake and it was as wonderful as always.

Took a cookie plate home to munch on today.

It was a low-key evening and a nice way to conclude my birthday.

Jennifer

Just returned from the bar at Palena. As always, everything was excellent. The Pork, Beans & Truffles with the coddled egg were really delicious, particularly for such an odd combination of items. Same with the chestnut ravioli with lobster -- I could have finished several plates of that. Beau went with the lamb two ways (shoulder & shank I believe) which is a fabulous dish and highly recommended. We should have skipped desserts, but after reviewing the extended list (Ann's back in full force) we couldn't resist the Warm Apple Tart with Caramel Ice Cream and the light & airy (really!) napoleon.

So glad that Palena is in the 'hood.

-Camille

I went to Palena last night with some of the DC Crü and had a great meal. I started with the carpaccio, beautifuly presented and so tender and flavorful that you almost had to scoop it with the fork. The chestnut ravioli with lobster was a killer, absolutely fantastic. Light and so flavorful that I was relentless in getting the last of the sauce on my fork. The lamb two ways was to die for and the warm apple tart with caramel ice cream was the perfect ending. One of the others had the mapoleon and was nice enough to give me a taste. What a light and wonderful rendering.

Wines were as usual, excellent. We started the evening with the '02 Radio-Coteau Zinfandel Von Weidlich while we were deciding what to order. The first course was accompanied by a '99 White Burgandy, though I didn't remember to write it down and now I can't remember which it was, but it was fantastic. We ended with the '02 Match Cabernet and an '02 Wolf Family Cab. While I liked the Wolf Family best at first, the Match opened up as the evening progressed and gave the Wolf Family a run for the money. All were excellent.

Am I the only one that consistantly gets poor service at Palena?

It's been a consistent, albiet low-level, criticism. It's showed up on the Sietsema chat, with Tom more or less seconding the notion that there's a gap between the quality of the food and the quality of the service, and it's showed up on the eGullet Palena thread, as well.

It's been a consistent, albiet low-level, criticism.  It's showed up on the Sietsema chat, with Tom more or less seconding the notion that there's a gap between the quality of the food and the quality of the service, and it's showed up on the eGullet Palena thread, as well.

I can't complain about the service we got at Palena, but it was a very slow night in the back room so the server only had two tables to worry about. At times I have found the service leasurly, but attentive and inobtrusive.

Am I the only one that consistantly gets poor service at Palena?

the first time i have heard of it. however, last saturday night was a little hairy up front. to the left of me was an elderly couple from philadelphia; the wife told her husband she had not come there to eat the hamburger, he wasn't sure he liked the prices on items from the regular menu and announced that it was ridiculous to wait 45 minutes for the chicken. the wife took an extended powder room break at one point. to my right, two dinners decided that they were not happy with, among other things, bitter salads, which were taken away. i assumed this was a date gone wrong. the man seemed to be looking for a better table, unsuccessfully because we had taken seats at the adjacent table, crowding them. at one point, he also took a prolonged powder. he just about hit the roof when a small portion of seafood and pasta arrived and made a show of downing it in one gulp. both sides stared with conspicuous envy at our abundance by the time they were departing, still hungry: half of a chicken accompanied by a bowl of beans, a cheeseburger and palena fries. we were happy the pouting had ended, but their behavior, and who knows what else transpiring in the busy room, had clearly taken its toll on our waiter. at the height of the turmoil, my wife received a drink that wasn't exactly what she ordered and it took a bit of an effort to find a spoon for the pot au feu. that's about the worst i can say about the service at palena, where we have eaten many times. saturday night, palena was just slightly off, somewhat rushed while we were there. confronted with a tough assignment of handling customers who were displaying hatred in their mating rituals, i would say our waiter acquitted himself well.

It's been a consistent, albiet low-level, criticism.  It's showed up on the Sietsema chat, with Tom more or less seconding the notion that there's a gap between the quality of the food and the quality of the service, and it's showed up on the eGullet Palena thread, as well.

I don't know what it is about that place! There is a HUUUUGE gap between the service and the food! So I don't have to post it again, here is my original post on EG (I'm not sure if linking to EG is allowed here. I'm sorry if it isn't).

I would like to add to that post that I called last week to get a gift certificate for my mother in law so that she could try the chicken that I've been raving about. They took down my information and cc number and said they would send it out immediately. Well, yesterday I noticed that they never charged my cc and I never recieved my GC. The ditsy manager that I spoke with said that they have had trouble in the past with people receiving mailing from them (nice excuse, but they never charged my CC so this leads me to believe that they dropped the ball again and just forgot about it). Other than the food, can't they get anything right!??

We're at Palena a lot--it's very much our neighborhood joint.

Here's what I've learned:

If you're in a hurry, don't sit in the little red booths between the front room and the back room. You're just asking to be forgotten. (Note: We love those tables most of the time and if time isn't an issue, we ask to sit there.)

99.9% of the time the slow service is because of the kitchen. It's not like the wait staff is standing around twiddling their thumbs while the food is getting cold. Really....

The core bartending staff continues to be strong in the tradition of Derek, Jeff, et al., but when the subs come in, watch out... You may be in for a bumpy ride.

Even on the weirdest, bumpiest nights, the service is always cheerful!

Jennifer

I have always had good service in the cafe, but find the back room to be an underachiever. I do love dining in a well-run formal room, but at Palena I'd just as soon order off the "back" menu in the front room and enjoy the bustle of the place and worry less about the service being up to snuff.

It's all about the people, pupusas.

Get to know those people who run the show. (don't beat me up after school, either)

No matter how busy, no matter who else is in there at the same time, I always feel welcome, even at the very end of the night (when the staff is hopefully getting to unwind and have a drink).

I rarely dine in the back, but for how busy the place is and for how many marriages the place holds together by threads and for how many wine bottle toting pricks they have to fluff, and for the mere fact that everyone worships Frank...

I forgive the humanity.

I'm not very objective, I guess.

Edited by Meaghan

I have always had good service in the cafe, but find the back room to be an underachiever.  I do love dining in a well-run formal room, but at Palena I'd just as soon order off the "back" menu in the front room and enjoy the bustle of the place and worry less about the service being up to snuff.

Just a thought - since my one experience in the formal back room was subpar*, and there seems to be near-universal admiration for the cafe up front. Why don't they just turn the entire space into cafe? Can we please vote or something?

*edited to add that my subpar experience in the back room was not just because of the service.

Edited by crackers

Just a thought - since my one experience in the formal back room was subpar, and there seems to be near-universal admiration for the cafe up front.  Why don't they just turn the entire space into cafe? Can we please vote or something?

from my experience, it is an incorrect assumption that the service is better in the front than in the back. if anything, the opposite may be true. the main difference is that it is not as bustling in the back. i like the idea of having a more affordable alternative of a fine dining place (ie, baby routh and the routh street cafe, of yesteryear), and here it is virtually in the same place. i don't know exactly what people are expecting in the back anyway. i think there is a danger in changing the formula at palena, as long as business is holding up in the back. look what happened to greenwood; after it turned into buck's it took that place a while to find its way back and in the process it lost the lower prices that were the rationale for messing with it in the first place. (the food was clearly suffering at early buck's.) of course, i realize that some people have loftier expectations in the service department than i do. i keep saying that the service at heitage is usually pretty good, and nobody will believe me.

Four of us went to Palena on Wednesday, in the back room. Service started slow - beyond a normal definition of "leisurely" but not to the point of "what's taking so long." It got better, and for most of the night the pacing was relaxed but comfortable, exactly right for our group. Otherwise service was very good, and our server (whose name I've forgotten) was friendly, knowledgeable (not that the menu is challenging in scope) and suggested a very good wine (name also forgotten). Perhaps not quite as attentive as we've experienced in some places that truly focus on service, but professional and pleasant. There was also a large and enthusiastic group seated near us that I'm certain must have taken a large share of the staff's attention, but we didn't notice any problems as a result.

(On a very positive note, our neighbors were apparently in the wine business - they brought many bottles with them, and generously sent some of the excess supply to our table.) :lol:

I agree - it's all about the people in that I know some of the people and they treat me wonderfully. However, a customer shouldn't have to know the people to get good service. Palena might be developing a touch of an in-crowd problem. I say that with all due respect because I love the place and certainly wish to continue enjoying good service.

It's all about the people, pupusas.

Get to know those people who run the show. (don't beat me up after school, either)

No matter how busy, no matter who else is in there at the same time, I always feel welcome, even at the very end of the night (when the staff is hopefully getting to unwind and have a drink).

I rarely dine in the back, but for how busy the place is and for how many marriages that places holds together by threads and for how many wine bottle toting pricks  they have to fluff, and for the mere fact that everyone worships Frank...

I forgive the humanity.

I agree - it's all about the people in that I know some of the people and they treat me wonderfully.  However, a customer shouldn't have to know the people to get good service.  Palena might be developing a touch of an in-crowd problem.  I say that with all due respect because I love the place and certainly wish to continue enjoying good service.

i have always had good service at palena and i am not part of the in crowd. i don't know the people.

Edited by giant shrimp

i have always had good service at palena and i am not part of the in crowd. i don't know the people.

Same here.

Perhaps the mixed perceptions of the service discussed in this thread reflect a cognitive dissonance caused by the ambiguous "feel" of Palena's back room, which I think straddles the fence between casual and formal. Those who see the room as "formal" might have different expectations about the kind of service offered there than those who see it as more "casual" and therefore have no problem with a more "leisurely" approach. My guess is that Palena itself does not see its back room as formal dining in the strict sense of the term, and I think the overall approach of the waitstaff there reflects that. Customers who don't share that view may therefore be unpleasantly surprised.

Same here.

Perhaps the mixed perceptions of the service discussed in this thread reflect a cognitive dissonance caused by the ambiguous "feel" of Palena's back room, which I think straddles the fence between casual and formal. Those who see the room as "formal" might have different expectations about the kind of service offered there than those who see it as more "casual" and therefore have no problem with a more "leisurely" approach. My guess is that Palena itself does not see its back room as formal dining in the strict sense of the term, and I think the overall approach of the waitstaff there reflects that. Customers who don't share that view may therefore be unpleasantly surprised.

I'd generally agree with the above idea. When I dined in the back room a few weeks ago, I thought the service was generally good, but not necessarily on par with a similarly priced experience elsewhere. For example, there was a bone that was already on the carpet by 8 pm, when I arrived. Still there at 11 when I left, though now having been stepped on and moved about by at least 3 waiters. That was, to say the least, disgusting to see. Also, the refilling was a bit off: empty glass for the main, so I just filled myself, which I have absolutely no problem doing, but it probably shouldn't happen at this price point.

Same here.

I guess it IS all perception. But I am not willing to pay $60-$80 per person (before wine/tip/tax/etc) to suffer through lackadaisical service. When I'm paying that kind of price, I expect attentive service! What do you think separates Palena from places like Restaurant Eve, Nectar, Galileo, etc? They are/were right around the same price. When you spend an evening at Restaurant Eve and at Palena, there are very discernable differences between the quality of care and service. They both provide very creative and memorable food and they are both very similar in pricing. What puts Eve head and shoulders above Palena is the service!

Same here.

There's no excuse, at any place where you're likely to spend upwards of $100 a person, for substandard service, however you want to describe it.

Edited by Waitman

I guess it IS all perception.  But I am not willing to pay $60-$80 per person (before wine/tip/tax/etc) to suffer through lackadaisical service.  When I'm paying that kind of price, I expect attentive service!  What do you think separates Palena from places like Restaurant Eve, Nectar, Galileo, etc?  They are/were right around the same price.  When you spend an evening at Restaurant Eve and at Palena, there are very discernable differences between the quality of care and service.  They both provide very creative and memorable food and they are both very similar in pricing.  What puts Eve head and shoulders above Palena is the service!

I always perceved Palena's back room more as the bistro end of the restaurant's feel than a formal dining room, just as the the front room is the Americanized Cafe end. I don't expect FORMAL service, just attentive service. Every time I've been there I've enjoyed just that. Sometimes it was leasurely but I think that is more the kitchen than the service staff.

My post will not be as cryptic or pretty as Nadya's but I'll do my best.

Last week I had the pleasure of joining some friends at Palena for dinner in the cafe. It began on an interesting service note, the bartender may have been a bit put off that the first two (me included) in our party ordered only water (one 'fancy' though) and when the third of our party showed up, the bartender never checked to see if we needed anything else. Truthfully, I was waiting before I ordered a drink... finally I called for the bartender and drinks were ordered.. a wine and a frou frou drink for me (all I remember is that it had a sugared rim and a blood orange slice).

The rest of our party was (um) late, so stomachs were growling. An order was made for the Palena Frite. OH MY!!! Wow, the fries and onion rings were above average but the lemon slices were most unique. Very clever.

The rest of our party arrived so we were seated. On a Wednesday night we were suprised to find that they were out of hamburger! So many orders of chicken were made with few exceptions. I started with mushroom soup which was amazing, perfect for the cold night outside. I probably would not have had soup but 45 minutes are required to present the chicken.

The chicken arrives... drum roll... wow, it really is special. 'nuff has been said by others... but everybody should probably order it once.

Now, dessert... I didn't care for mine... cupcakes with peppermint ice cream. Though another at the table who had the same dessert did not agree with me, it seemed that the ice cream was basically vanilla a top crushed peppermint. Clever presentation but true peppermint ice cream is such a treat. Oh and the cupcakes, well I took one and half of them home as I was stuffed.. does it say anything that five days later one is still left?

The cookies on the other hand (flips backward) were so much fun and so good. The caramel was as good as any dessert I have ever had.

So, my advice is skip dessert and stick with the cookies. And have great company with whom to spend the evening.

After a vile, meager lunch that came out of a can, and a grueling 2-hour workout, Monday Night @ Palena has finally rolled around. It was everything I wanted, with a few unexpected and heavenly bonuses.

Anything pasta that comes out of Frank Ruta's kitchen should be painted, framed and lovingly kept in the family. The dish that shone the brightest for me last night was Yucon gold gnocchi. That was sheer orgasm in the mouth that never subsided until the plate was clean. The taste was a beautiful merger of light but full of potato-ey goodness with creamy castelmagno that I thought differed wonderfully from the variety of cheeses one tends to get on one's gnocchi. Coupled with a sweet kick of balsamic, the result was almost like...like cheesecake but savory. Gorgeous. Blissful. Angel comfort food.

I rave of pasta, but am often reminded that this kitchen does magical things with all house meats. Honestly, I'm not a big charcuterie person, but any piece of Frank Ruta's meat I would devour to the last piece. Last night, smoked goose and foie gras terrine - oh so good, so rich, so smooth and melting. When bollito (beef brisket with coddled egg and veal tongue) made an appearance, I was already getting full and that was the only reason why I may have had less than one half. Intensely flavored, fork-tender, surrounded by meat juice, runny egg and herb mixture, that was a polish-your-dish with a piece of bread thing.

I continue to be baffled by complaints about service. Last night, we shared every dish and our waiter took care, without any requests from us, to bring every item except the unsplittable bollito, evenly divided between two plates, including a burger that was cut in two with surgical precision. I would describe the service as quietly competent, looking ahead and completely unobtrusive.

I dined at Palena tonight (up front). Second time in the last month or so. I don't know, I'm just not sure I have the kind of enthusiasm for the place that many here do. I've not dined there on a Monday, do they have different offerings? I think that, yes, the food is very affordable on the bar menu, and it is well prepared and simple, and Palena deserves to be a regular neighborhood spot, but I don't know that it's anything so special (except the chicken, which is exceptional). The fries, for example, don't boggle my mind. The desserts have never been thrilling. The mushroom soup is good, but it's really just a mushroom soup. I wrote up a couple ideas on my blog (below), curious to know what you all think.

Edited by gks_eats_dc

I dined at Palena tonight (up front).  Second time in the last month or so.  I don't know, I'm just not sure I have the kind of enthusiasm for the place that many here do.  I've not dined there on a Monday, do they have different offerings?  I think that, yes, the food is very affordable on the bar menu, and it is well prepared and simple, and Palena deserves to be a regular neighborhood spot, but I don't know that it's anything so special (except the chicken, which is exceptional).  The fries, for example, don't boggle my mind.  The desserts have never been thrilling.  The mushroom soup is good, but it's really just a mushroom soup.  I wrote up a couple ideas on my blog (below), curious to know what you all think.

The chicken is killer and the fries are very good when they are on. Never been in the formal part of the restaurant for a meal. Since I can order from the regular menu out front I usually do that. I like the casual atmosphere. I hamburger and such have their fans, but I much prefer to order a first and/or second course from the regular menu. The items are more interesting (to me) and have always been very good. The gnocchi are very good and any type of terrine or charcuterie plate. I agree that desserts are hit and miss, the apple tart and mocha eclair were two of the best desserts that I have had there.

My name is Nadya and I'm not rethinking my laud.

I am leaving aside the issue of a possibility of an off night. Anyone can have an off night. Michelle Kwan fell in her freeskate in Salt Lake City in 2002 and that does not make her a not the idol champion legend skater.

I am leaving aside the possibility of a difference in taste. You say tomaytoe, I say tomahto. You scintillate, I titillate. File under "W", that's "whatever."

But I must differ from the claim that Palena offers a "fairly priced, casual menu."

Palena offers exquisite food at ridiculous prices.

On my last visit, amongst other wonders, we had a smoked goose/foie gras terrine. We had gnocchi with castelmagno and balsamic. And these are not the items one finds at a casual neighborhood joint, and certainly not at what, $15 a pop? Most casual neighborhood restaurants can't tell foie gras from viah grah. Most casual neighborhood joints don't even know what castelmagno is.

Desserts never titillate? Pumpkin mousse cheesecake with pistachio brittle is the best damn dish ever. I had it around Thanksgiving, and I still tell stories about it.

I used to hate burgers. No, it wasn't the Palena burger that converted me - you can't get deflowered twice, I'm afraid - but if I discovered Palena before Mendocino, you know who'd be sporting the honor. To me, there is no better comfort on a Monday night than biting into that juicy burgermagic Palena serves up.

And oh, I have plenty of friends in Woodley/Cleveland Park who think the food is excellent, the dining options are plenty, and life is good. And they don't even know about Palena! Palena's reputation does not depend on the scarcity of options around it. It depends on the bloody fantastic, soulful and uncompromising food that comes out of its kitchen. Somehow I doubt that the best chefs in this town would have been seen with some regularity at a "casual neighborhood" place on their only day off, when the world is their oyster.

And will you people stop telling your friends about this place? I mean, we had to wait for a table, on a Monday night! Enough with this unrestrained publicity already.

I am leaving aside the issue of a possibility of an off night. Anyone can have an off night. Michelle Kwan fell in her freeskate in Salt Lake City in 2002 and that does not make her a not the idol champion legend skater.

I am leaving aside the possibility of a difference in taste. You say tomaytoe, I say tomahto. You scintillate, I titillate.  File under "W", that's "whatever."

But I must differ from the claim that Palena offers a "fairly priced, casual menu."

Palena offers exquisite food at ridiculous prices.

Well, I agree off-nights should be controlled for, but I've been there three times in a month. And it is certainly true that there may be an issue of "de gustibus non disputandum" at work. I also just meant the bar menu is be fairly priced and casual. I agree that 3 courses for $57 is hardly a good deal.

Like I said, I'm glad to dine there regularly, maybe I'll eventually have a dish that amazes me.

Well, I agree off-nights should be controlled for, but I've been there three times in a month.  And it is certainly true that there may be an issue of "de gustibus non disputandum" at work.  I also just meant the bar menu is be fairly priced and casual.  I agree that 3 courses for $57 is hardly a good deal.

Like I said, I'm glad to dine there regularly, maybe I'll eventually have a dish that amazes me.

Actually, I believe what Nadya was saying was that the main menu IS a good deal.

For the quality of food, one would expect to (and in this town will) pay much more.

Actually, I believe what Nadya was saying was that the main menu IS a good deal.

For the quality of food, one would expect to (and in this town will) pay much more.

I reread Nadya's post, I misread 'ridiculous.' I'd argue that for similar prices, you can have 4 or 5 courses at other places, and they would also be offering foie gras and the likes.

Ok, I'm game.  Which places?

Jaleo or Zaytinya spring to mind, if we're sticking to the same level of dining.

Not having had the pleasure of being to Palena yet, though, I can only conjecture that we're talking a difference in orders of magnitude when we're talking about the size of the individual courses in question.

Jaleo or Zaytinya spring to mind, if we're sticking to the same level of dining.

Not having had the pleasure of being to Palena yet, though, I can only conjecture that we're talking a difference in orders of magnitude when we're talking about the size of the individual courses in question.

I was talking about his comment on the regular menu where a 3 course meal is $57. I also don't Jaleo or Zaytinya compare to what you can get off the cafe menu.

Corduroy is probably my selection for price/quality.

BTW, does the 3 course include dessert or is it a first, second, and main from the regular menu?

eta: menu question

Edited by mdt

IMO, Jaleo and Zaytinya are not close to the same level of dining as Palena. I can understand criticism of the restaurant, and have criticised Palena myself on occasion. But overall, I think Palena represents a bargain in terms of fine dining in Washington.

I was talking about his comment on the regular menu where a 3 course meal is $57.  I also don't Jaleo or Zaytinya compare to what you can get off the cafe menu.

Oh, I know, that's what I was trying to convey... that it seems like he's comparing apples to oranges.

So you wouldn't even put J or Z on a par with Palena's bar menu? Harsh!