July 4th Weekend in DC - 2 Days (July 3-4), 5 Meals, 3 People

StorageLady

My daughter just graduated from college and is moving to DC July 1 to start her new job, and I'll be spending a couple of days down there helping her move and celebrating the 4th.

I don't get to DC that often though I live just north in Frederick, MD.  so I'm looking for some dining options.

Her new apartment is near the Convention Center, but we will be touring around DC with the rest of the tourists on the 4th.

She loves to cook and eat good food - but she's not a fine diner (nor am I). Foams, foie gras, etc. are not up her alley. ALso, please note that Mom (that's me) will be footing the bill for the 15 meals to come. So.... Komi it ain't!

What would be some good casual not too expensive places that we might consider for lunch and dinner?

FWIW, we went to Rasika yesterday and LOVED it!

Thanks!

I looked up all three of those - and I'm definitely adding them to the list!  Just a bit concerned about wait time at Daikaya though... should I be? And, DC crudite - you are right, we don't need to stay around the CC

Reservations needed at any of these?

I looked up all three of those - and I'm definitely adding them to the list!  Just a bit concerned about wait time at Daikaya though... should I be? And, DC crudite - you are right, we don't need to stay around the CC

Reservations needed at any of these?

Daikaya only serves one thing: Ramen. Once seated, the service is quick. Tables turn quickly as it only takes 20 minutes or so to enjoy a great bowl of ramen.

I think weekend lunch on the patio at Zaytinya is always very nice.  Plus you will be right across the street from the Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum.  I would recommend a reservation, since that will be a busy tourist weekend.

• Like 1

Teaism is casual and inexpensive, and I've loved their new menu (I tend to get the cauliflower pasanka and the exotic mushrooms, which make a filling and delicious lunch). Multiple locations.

I'm a fan of Bayou Bakery in Arlington, though I haven't tried their new DC outpost yet.

Seconding the recommendation for Daikaya.

Thanks for all of the tips on wher to eat. We had a great bowl of ramen at Daikaya. Actually we all agreed that the spicy miso bowl was even better than the traditional ramen bowl. I was not a fan of the dumpling appetizer though.

We couldn't get in to Red Hen, ended up at NoPa.  A lovely place, but the service was uncomfortably bad, the food not good enough for the prices. The bar happy hour was a treat though. Interesting not-too-sweet cocktails at low prices at the bar.