Jersey Mike's Subs, A New Jersey-Based Sub Chain Founded in 1956 with Many Area Locations

Jersey Mike's was not found in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, so I thought I'd fire up a thread...

I like this place and would rank it ahead of Potbelly in the subs/sandwiches category.   The standard, to me, is the Italian Cold Cut (ICC) and I use that as my benchmark when comparing places.   Jersey Mikes follows what I call the 'wet tube" philosophy, where an ICC sub is would tight and has lots of wet stuff like shredded lettuce, oil, vinegar, mayo and 'hots'.  Contrast this to the loose and relative dry subs at White House subs in Atlantic City, NJ - and you'll get the drift.

Growing up in Rockville, the great submarine war between Ollie's and Twinbrook Deli produced an endless supply of great wet tube ICCs.  They still do and if you can't get to Rockville, Jersey Mike's is the next best thing.   Being a huge chain, of course there can be some variation between locations but in my experience the food is pretty consistent between the 5+ locations I've visited. (the people making it, not so much.)

I recommend asking them to go light on the oil and vinegar; sometimes the bottles are mistaken for cocktail mixers...and the sub suffers.  But if done right, you get a tangy ICC that's sloppy but not disintegrating.

You may disagree below :)

• Like 1

I think there have been a scattering of Jersey Mike's mentions in other threads, but not a whole thread.

There used to be a Jersey Mike's in Calabash, NC, near my parents house, and we would pick up subs before heading out to the beach.  After a good couple of hours body surfing in the waves, few things beat an ICC enjoyed on the beach.  And I always enjoyed getting Jersey Mike's.

Jersey Mikes is my go to when I'm in the airport in Vegas and need food for the 6 hour flight (while more than likely dealing with a bad hangover :ph34r: ).  I don't think they're revelatory, but I agree - they're great for picnics (or for making the folks on the plane jealous) and what not.

Though I don't like being *this guy* (who moans about the quality of other regions specialties in the DC area) but Jersey Mike's probably has my favorite cheesesteak in the area. And that's not necessarily a compliment, but an assessment of everyone else's "steak & cheese". Jersey Mike's bread is OK - still a little too dry and flakey, but at least it holds the ingredients, for the most part. Gets the job done.

My significant other grew up near the original location in Pt. Pleasant, NJ so I have had Jersey Mike's quite a few times. I definitely prefer it to the other chains, the ICC is my go to as well. Subs from the original tended to be sloppier than from the franchises- not always a bad thing.

Not a fan, but I note that they slice the meat and cheese in the big slicer for each order, which is something....one recently opened in Springfield, but it's across the street from the best Banh Mi shop in Springfield (Le Bledo Dalat Bakery) so it has not yet risen to my level of interest....I'll note that the Jersey Mike's in Santa Clarita, California, where a KN daughter lives, is frequented by many with ones out the door, and the few times I've fetched quick meals there it didn't suck at all.