IOTA Club & Cafe ... from the first day this joint opened it was a cut well above your typical bar food.  I have had some brilliant dishes in the cafe and some great times on 1/2 wine Mondays.  Haven't darkened its door lately, anyone else?

Completely agree. I've had a Lobster Risotto, and a Osso Bucco at Iota that can stand up there with some of the better restaurants in town.

701....hmmmm. Slightly overpriced, decent wine program, but food just not there. With so many other choices in the Penn Quarter, i would have to opt out. How about across the way at Signatures. A bit more up to date on decor, something 701 needs to think about.

Agreed, but Signatures is too brightly lit in my opinion. Those tuna rolls though - yummmmmm

I'm surprised we don't talk of Cashion's Eat Place more often, given the accolades received by the chef, the handsome space, and sublime cooking. I went there for brunch with my wife and (egads!) two-year old daughter and had a marvelous time. The staff could not have been more accomodating, the food was delicous, and the homemade sausage was to die for. Ann Cashion is a magician with pig.

Vidalia is one of a number of excellent restaurants (Equinox comes immediately to mind) that are rarely mentioned on any board. It's really a by product of continually reinforcing the same restaurants which are "popular" on a particular board. When was the last time Kinkead's was mentioned on here? A dinner there two months ago showed this to be on the level of excellence when he was up for a Beard award. Which Jeff Buben won at Vidalia! Obelisk? Has this really fallen from the heights of two years ago when it was the first answer on CH for a great Italian? Or just that no one on this board has been in a while? I suspect the latter.

There is a great deal of excellence and effort in the D. C. area that just hasn't been touched on.

Has anyone been to Dahlia in Spring Valley? I've been thinking about it since it's kind of near my 'hood, which doesn't have much in terms of good eats (Friendship Heights). Here's the link to Tom S.'s mention in the Weekly Dish: Dahila It sounds nice but at the $18-$27/entree price-point, I'm looking for more info before going.

I was at a wedding reception the other week, with Aquarelle's kitchen providing the food.  Maybe not fair to judge them based on that, but it certainly didn't make me want to eat at the restaurant.

Oh dear...I'm heading there tonight. :lol:

And speaking of the Watergate, what about the 600 restaurant just across the Kennedy Center? I would refer to it in the thread for "Never Again" experiences, but unfortunately I keep returning because it's the only game in the area for a drink after a rehearsal or a performance. They do a great deal of business based on the likes of me and others in the cast and crew of KC productions. (Once the maitre asked me when I walked in, "Are you guys through with rehearsal now?)And otherwise they also have a literally captive audience, given their proximity to the KC and lack of competition late at night. The result can be truly abysmal. The food is overpriced and seldom rises above "catering hall" style (a term also used in an earlier post on Aquarelle). There is a bartender there who is the worst bartender I have ever encountered in my life, except for one of his colleagues, now thankfully departed, who insulted my pregnant wife when she ordered a non-alcoholic drink. If Kafka joined up with Dr. Caligari to open a restaurant, the result would be the 600. If only Notti Bianche were open late.

There is a bartender there who is the worst bartender I have ever encountered in my life, except for one of his colleagues, now thankfully departed, who insulted my pregnant wife when she ordered a non-alcoholic drink. If Kafka joined up with Dr. Caligari to open a restaurant, the result would be the 600. If only Notti Bianche were open late.

Ah, one of these has to be Ulysses (not "Moses"), the surliest man in the business. People have been so offended by this guy that they've moved next door to Cup A Cup A for drinks, and that says a lot.

We used to go to 600 for happy hour, but then the Gods gave us Circle Bistro.

Edited to add: Mistakenly remembered this guy as Moses, when it is in fact Ulysess. Bible, Epic, what's the dif?

Edited by Capital Icebox

Ah, one of these has to be Moses, the surliest man in the business.  People have been so offended by this guy that they've moved next door to Cup A Cup A for drinks, and that says a lot.

Nope. The name of the guy still there has a closer relation to Irish literature than to the bible. I wouldn't want to give Moses an unduly bum rap.

What's up with Cafe 15?

And what's that place called near the Spy museum? Zoloft or something.  Is that place a goner?

I think that Zola is going to go strong for sometime. It keeps getting mentioned in all sorts of tourist publications as one fo the places to go in DC :lol: , and I think it was either in the new Food and Wine or Bon Appetite it was mentioned as one of the best museum restaurants in the country.

Marshall's Bar & Grille A discussion on a different thread brought up the question of where to find a good burger, and it reminded me of the 1/2 pounder that Marshall's serves up that is damn tasty. The burger is also half price on Monday evenings. Nobody ever mentions this place on the boards, but it really has consistently good food. They have homemade pastas and breads, and entree size salads that aren't just same-old-same-old. It's located in a strip of a few restaurants where L St. merges with Pennsylvania Ave. right before going over Rock Creek Park into Georgetown.

Marshall's Bar & Grille  A discussion on a different thread brought up the question of where to find a good burger, and it reminded me of the 1/2 pounder that Marshall's serves up that is damn tasty.  The burger is also half price on Monday evenings.  Nobody ever mentions this place on the boards, but it really has consistently good food.  They have homemade pastas and breads, and entree size salads that aren't just same-old-same-old. It's located in a strip of a few restaurants where L St. merges with Pennsylvania Ave. right before going over Rock Creek Park into Georgetown.

Great place as long as it isn't crammed full of barfing co-eds. :lol:

Meiwah (two locations, I think)

I am not a fan of Meiwah. I have never had anything there that I like. As the boss is a fan, I used to have frequent carry out from Mei Wah. I finally decided that it was worth taking a stand on, and I now order separately (usually from Rice, sometimes from Kaz). Several others have joined me in this decision.

Anyone been to Pasta Mia recently? I don't think I've been for years, but I used to like the eggplant fusili there. Nice generous portion that creates leftovers for the following day. We're thinking about going this weekend and are at a loss for a casual "cheap eat" that is not "ethnic" (Hanks would fit the bill, but we went last weekend.).

When I used to live in Woodley Park, I have to say that I was never tempted by Pesto. Remember when it was Mrs. Simpson's ? Always looked a little pricey without someone to vouch that it was worth it.

Anyone been to Pasta Mia recently?  I don't think I've been for years, but I used to like the eggplant fusili there.  Nice generous portion that creates leftovers for the following day.  We're thinking about going this weekend and are at a loss for a casual "cheap eat" that is not "ethnic" (Hanks would fit the bill, but we went last weekend.).

You can get pasta for about the same price ($12) without the wait at San Marco, right down the street (18th and Kalorama). I do like Pasta Mia, and their portions are certainly larger, but timing it right to get there right when they open (so as to avoid 45 minutes standing outdoors) has been more hassle than I'm willing to suffer now that I've found an attractive alternative.

You can get pasta for about the same price ($12) without the wait at San Marco, right down the street (18th and Kalorama). I do like Pasta Mia, and their portions are certainly larger, but timing it right to get there right when they open (so as to avoid 45 minutes standing outdoors) has been more hassle than I'm willing to suffer now that I've found an attractive alternative.

Hey Jael-- Thanks for the tip. Maybe we'll try that instead! I have a pasta craving. When we go, we try to make it by 6:15 but it just seems so ridiculous. I can't believe that it's still like that after all these years. And what is up with the empty back area that they save for their friends? (I guess exactly that :lol: )

That hasn't been my experience there. I live a block away from Marshalls and it used to be the go-to place after work. Not any more.

That could be. I used to work a block away and it was one of our after work go-to places too, but I've only been there for food in the main dining room recently, which hasn't seemed to change. Maybe when I left that job the rowdy young attorneys decided the bar was no fun anymore. :lol:

QUOTE(Mark Slater @ Oct 28 2005, 12:41 PM)

That hasn't been my experience there. I live a block away from Marshalls and it used to be the go-to place after work. Not any more.

That could be. I used to work a block away and it was one of our after work go-to places too, but I've only been there for food in the main dining room recently, which hasn't seemed to change. Maybe when I left that job the rowdy young attorneys decided the bar was no fun anymore.

I Imagine Mark gets out of work fairly late, hence the shift in clientele.

Well, i know it exists and I've been before, but:

The Occidental

La Chaumiere

Matisse

Persimmon

Obelisk (so, tell me then!)

Ristorante Terrazza (closed?)

How's Pesce these days?

Ella's

The Bombay Club

Oval Room?

I guess we just know what we like. I certainly do!

:lol:

Bambule in Friendship Heights. Because I ate lunch there on Saturday, I guess that means I get the honors of starting a topic on it. Will draft it soon.

Not to scoop myself, but...it wasn't as bad as I thought (some parts of the meal were nice, actually).

Edited by JLK

Well, i know it exists and I've been before, but:

The Occidental

Matisse

It has been a while since I last went to The Occidental, but when I did, I had one of the best salads I have ever eaten. It was simple, but every ingredient was at the right proportions, and were perfectly fresh. It was a simple green salad dressed with a lovely, but not overpowering olive oil, a wedge of Stilton, pecans, and aged balsamic. It was simply beautiful and delicious.

As for Matisse, I have eaten there twice, the last time about a month ago. The food on the first occasion was only OK, the food last month was much better. I will have to find the menu from the dinner to remember what I had, but it was quite good. Both Matisse dinners were "wine dinners" and not necessarily indicative of the meal one would get when ordering from the menu.