The Juice Joint on Vermont Ave. Absolutely fantastic lunch spot. The Chicken wrap with spinach, feta, kalamata olives, red onions, and balsamic vinegar is always impeccably fresh and superb. Ditto for the whole wheat pita with hummus, carrots spinach, sprouts, and a drizzle of lemon juice. Great smoothies. Really nice people.

Glad to see that Tom mentioned it in the chat as well. Strictly M-F Breakfast and Lunch.

Edited by B.A.R.

The restaurant in that space used to be called Elysium.  What happed to it?

They have removed the Elysium name and it's now a (more) formal dining room. Grover and I went there for our anniversary one year (when they had the made to your order with our ingredients) dinner. The food was very good. Grover, I and our befuddled dining companion Mark went late last year and Elysium was gone but we went to the same room and had some very good food (I'd have to find Grover's dining diary to find out what we ate). Very attentive service, and a very good roasted garlic spread for the bread stand out in my (somewhat erratic) memory.

I don't think Elysium lasted all that long after Gian Piero Mazzi left  - a year or so at the outside. 

"The chef will come talk to you about what ingredients we have and what you like/dislike then go back in the kitchen and create" idea is neat, and I certainly enjoyed the dinners I had there, but there were a lot of people dining there who clearly weren't comfortable with the idea.

Our reaction as well...some of the "older" diners the night we were there looked like they were being asked to go butcher the beef for their dinner or something...(this doesn't preclude me being an old-fart..a title I proudly wear).

My Italian is rather poor, but I believe the chef's name is Boyardee. Did I spell that right?

Ciao,

Al

Mike,

You're not being cynical now, are you? Mrs. LaPorta still makes a pretty mean carrot cake and some of their food is pretty good (and very filling)...and the jazz pianist in the bar is decent...

Mike,

You're not being cynical now, are you?  Mrs. LaPorta still makes a pretty mean carrot cake and some of their food is pretty good (and very filling)...and the jazz pianist in the bar is decent...

I could make better red sauce with a bottle of generic ketchup, a bottle of 2-buck chuck, and some road kill (provided it's fresh).

:lol:

I could make better red sauce with a bottle of generic ketchup, a bottle of 2-buck chuck, and some road kill (provided it's fresh).

:lol:

Surely it can't be any worse than Ecco. I am not sure that anything that comes out of their kitchen was not formally frozen.

Anyone ever been to Juniper (24th and M, in the Fairmont hotel)?

I spent the summer at a firm next door and had almost weekly lunches at the restaurant that was in that space back in 2001. Nothing I would pay my own dime for, but serviceable hotel cuisine. I never had a horrendous meal, but never a really excellent one either.

What was really horrible in that area is Thai Kitchen and the restaurant that James Carville and Mary Matalin opened around the corner from the Fairmont (I believe that place has been put out of its misery.)

Anyone ever been to Apartment 2G out in Front Royal/by Skyline Drive?  Reviewed by Sietsema here.

Response to an old post, but had dinner at 2G on Saturday night and the essence of this place always really excites me. It was our second time there, and both meals were really strong, solid fare and really tops for what you'll get in Front Royal. The +1 and I have a cabin not far from there and 2G is so far at the top of our list (over Public House and Four and Twenty Blackbirds in Flint Hill, frankly). Siestema's is absolutely right on--eating there is like going over to your friends house who are really great cooks. Have never been for Wed and Thursday "tapas" nights, but both times for the weekend prix fixe. Some details, impressions:

Restaurant is on the second floor of a remodeled row house so you're eating in one of four former bedrooms, each with one or two 2- or 4-tops which makes it fairly intimate dining experience (with whomever is also seated in the room with you, in addition to your dining companions) but the overall ambience is nice, and very cozy, especially in the winter months. Our server on the first visit mentioned that they only do a single cover every night and they stagger the reservations so the entire restaurant isn't swampped at once, which meant when we sauntered in a few minutes before our rez, the hostess knew exactly who we were and walked us right to our table--a really nice, welcoming gesture.

Menu gives choices only on a main course and dessert. First time we were there it was a toss between filet and tuna, this time, filet, tuna, or rack of lamb. While the filet seemed identical to our last visit (with a potato and onion cake and spinach) the rest of the menu had changed since the fall, reflecting the seasonal change. Menu price of $45pp includes starter, salad, entree, and dessert which is amazing considering the quality and quantity of the food. I would even argue that you almost leave too full in a border-line bad way.

Partially because the Gedney's also have the gourmet store on the first floor of the building, they also have a great sampling of wines to choose from--all of which are EXCEEDINGLY well priced (think low $20 to high $30s for a great selection of wines) which the servers are great at helping navigate for those lesser known bottles.

Love the whole overall idea of this place in general. The visibility into the kitchen is great, the staff is fantastic, and the food is solid--best in class for the area. The kitchen can't compare to some of the top places in DC certainly, but the bottom line is that the guests, the servers, the chefs are all seem really happy spending their collective evenings together. When the non-foodie boyfriend feels comfortable walking back into the kitchen to mention to Stacey Gedney that he may have to kidnap her so she can make him chocolate paves at home, and she laughs back, you know you're in a good place.

Edited by mstevens

So happy to hear the positive reviews!  Trying it for the first time tomorrow night, and was frankly worried that the lack of Rockwell discussion meant there was something wrong with it.  Yippee!

I am sure that there are a bunch of places that are worthy of a trip that are not discussed here. It is great to see new/old members post about different places. Hopefully this starts a trend.

A lot of places have been mentioned on this thread, and here is my response to them.

Aquarelle

Bangkok Bistro

Bistro Lepic

Marshall's

MeinU

Moby dick's

Teaism

note I live across from the watergate so these are my neighborhood places

Aquarelle- Good caesar salad, w/ anchovies, quail eggs, asparagus. $10,, sauce could be a little thicker. Everything else is a rip-off and not worth it.

600- Good onion soup for $5, which is a deal. They are skimpy with the cheese, but make up for it with coke in glass bottles, I love that. I thought the rest of the food there was ok and reasonably priced. Asparagus and heart of palm salad $10, the sauce could have used a little jazzing up, some horseradish maybe. Shrimp Scampi appetizer for $12- not much shrimp but good flavor, nicely butterflied.

Bangkok bistro- Good thai, they do the fried banana at the table in front of you, and you can get a four course meal for 20 dollars at dinner, no time limits, great deal, great place. Good for groups too.

Bistro Lepic- Amazing! Great french food. The onion tart appetizer is great but very filling. The beef with polenta was fantastic, though I think polenta is a little plain, would have loved some pommes soufflés. Their risottos are usually good also. One of the few places around that still does floating island, one of my fave deserts of all time.

Marshall's- Overpriced, not that good. Burgers are ok, nothing special. The meat lasagna is pretty solid, not the biggest piece in the world though, and no sides. Drinks are overpriced too

Me'in'U- Good drinks at the bar, good place to take girls- sweet girly house house specials. . The appetizers were better than the main courses, can't remember much more.

Moby Dick's- AMAZING! Great kebab, great salads. Call the counter guy a Cosface, you'll get a laugh.

Teaism- Dupont- Really Good- cool different kinds of teas, hot and cold. Went for brunch. Incredible french toast, real baguette type bread, with crispy edges, old fashioned maple syrup, not too sweet, with fresh strawberries on the side. Also the home made granola, with cream is simple, hearty, filling and good. Very reasonable prices for food, the french toast was $7. Teas run a little expensive but it's a tea snob kinda place so what do you expect? Seating was a pain, not nearly enough, and no outdoor seating, no organized seating, it was fight for space.

Red Sage - meh. It was ok when I ate there recently before a show at the Warner. We were too cheap to pop for B9.

I love The Melting Pot (well, at least the one in Reston, can't speak for the other local iterations), but to nominate it for a RAMMY? Why? You're basically getting a bunch of ingredients and making your own food.

At Red Sage Border Cafe I had a really good salad (Border Café Chopped Salad, Romaine,Iceberg Lettuce, Pico, Roasted Corn,Marinated Jicama and Tricolor Peppers, Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette Topped with Corn Tortilla Shoestrings). That was the only time I'd ever been there, but I can't speak badly about the place.

Butterfield 9 the only time I've ever been was for Restaurant Week, so I can't judge them too harshly. The food was fine. The service was quite hurried and abrupt (we were definitely treated as RW patrons).

Melting Pot I do enjoy. Is it strange to have a chain nominated for a RAMMY? I don't know much about the award. It is true that you do basically cook your own food, but the servers have to be pretty on top of things. They make your cheese and dessert fondue for you and have to teach you how to do everything. Probably not too easy to deal with a lot of folks that come in there.

They hauled the art out of it yesterday, It was sold, the new owner is re-opening as 219 with some changes to the menu, more later as it develops.
219 has been (re)opened for a few months now - doesn't look like too much has changed, other than maybe a fresh coat of paint. The menu (at a passing glance) looks very similar to before - I've only eaten there a few times, mostly went for drinks and the live jazz upstairs (and the occasional crowded, smoky, beer-drinking experience downstairs).

It may be mentioned further back in this thread, but I couldn't find a specific thread for 701 Restaurant. It's been selected for a business dinner, so I'm wondering what to expect. Any suggestions?

It may be mentioned further back in this thread, but I couldn't find a specific thread for 701 Restaurant. It's been selected for a business dinner, so I'm wondering what to expect. Any suggestions?

I haven't been in about four years, but it was good, solid, and dependable if not terribly exciting modern American cuisine. Please do start a thread after your dinner there.

My husband and I went to 2G for our anniversary. I had wanted to stay in town and go to Komi, but we decided to take advantage of the long weekend and explore.

We chose Apartment 2G bc of the Sietsema review and to learn the origin of the name from the Gedney's. My husband thought it was from an old movie; I thought it was from The Stranger. Apparently it's from a cartoon reference to Apartment 2B, changed to G in reference to their last name.

Dinner was a $50 tasting menu, which included a salmon mousse amuse boche; a saffron/ seafood risotto which rivaled Hanks; a mixed green salad, which included some wonderful cheeses and asparagus; and a choice of halibut (I forgot how it was prepared), lamb with polenta and broccoli rabe, or filet mignon, onion pie, and sauteed spinach. Desserts included a cheese plate; a strawberry rhubarb tart, and some kind of interesting chocolate tart, which my husband adored. (Clearly, I'm not a chocolate hound.) Though the menu this weekend wasn't a food adventure, it was, as Tom said in the review, really solid.

Solid food, charm, and oddly enough, the view of the goings on in the kitchen won us over. If you stay to 10, you can hang out in the kitchen and talk with them. Stacey said they had wanted to get rid of the cameras that were originally installed for the cooking school, but customers said they really liked them. She also said that they haven't gotten dc press since Tom's review. She believes they've improved since then.

If you're not ready to head back to your hotel after that, you can always hit the Village Idiot. But that would go in the Dive Bar thread.

Response to an old post, but had dinner at 2G on Saturday night and the essence of this place always really excites me. It was our second time there, and both meals were really strong, solid fare and really tops for what you'll get in Front Royal. The +1 and I have a cabin not far from there and 2G is so far at the top of our list (over Public House and Four and Twenty Blackbirds in Flint Hill, frankly). Siestema's is absolutely right on--eating there is like going over to your friends house who are really great cooks. Have never been for Wed and Thursday "tapas" nights, but both times for the weekend prix fixe. Some details, impressions:

Restaurant is on the second floor of a remodeled row house so you're eating in one of four former bedrooms, each with one or two 2- or 4-tops which makes it fairly intimate dining experience (with whomever is also seated in the room with you, in addition to your dining companions) but the overall ambience is nice, and very cozy, especially in the winter months. Our server on the first visit mentioned that they only do a single cover every night and they stagger the reservations so the entire restaurant isn't swampped at once, which meant when we sauntered in a few minutes before our rez, the hostess knew exactly who we were and walked us right to our table--a really nice, welcoming gesture.

Menu gives choices only on a main course and dessert. First time we were there it was a toss between filet and tuna, this time, filet, tuna, or rack of lamb. While the filet seemed identical to our last visit (with a potato and onion cake and spinach) the rest of the menu had changed since the fall, reflecting the seasonal change. Menu price of $45pp includes starter, salad, entree, and dessert which is amazing considering the quality and quantity of the food. I would even argue that you almost leave too full in a border-line bad way.

Partially because the Gedney's also have the gourmet store on the first floor of the building, they also have a great sampling of wines to choose from--all of which are EXCEEDINGLY well priced (think low $20 to high $30s for a great selection of wines) which the servers are great at helping navigate for those lesser known bottles.

Love the whole overall idea of this place in general. The visibility into the kitchen is great, the staff is fantastic, and the food is solid--best in class for the area. The kitchen can't compare to some of the top places in DC certainly, but the bottom line is that the guests, the servers, the chefs are all seem really happy spending their collective evenings together. When the non-foodie boyfriend feels comfortable walking back into the kitchen to mention to Stacey Gedney that he may have to kidnap her so she can make him chocolate paves at home, and she laughs back, you know you're in a good place.

I haven't been in about four years, but it was good, solid, and dependable if not terribly exciting modern American cuisine. Please do start a thread after your dinner there.

And I haven't been in 6 years or so but I would agree. I have some friends who have been in the last year or so and said they had a good experience. Nothing mindblowing though.

And I haven't been in 6 years or so but I would agree. I have some friends who have been in the last year or so and said they had a good experience. Nothing mindblowing though.

We've been a couple of times in the last year or so. It is a good choice for a business dinner. Solid American cooking, professional service, a good wine list, and nice ambiance. While it will not WOW you, it will not disappoint either.

I'd nominate Cafe Salsa in Old Town. They've gotten some not-really-bad-but-not-really-good press, but I think if you go in knowing how to order, you can come away with a very good meal. The trick (unfortunately) is to stay away from their entrees. Some are okay-to-good, some are okay-to-bad. None have knocked my socks off and a couple have left me wishing I'd ordered something else instead.

However, that having been said, their appetizers are delicious. When my GF and I go in we typically stick to two appetizers each and the tres leches for desert. The fried plantains chips and salsa they bring doesn't hurt either.

The biggest draw for me though has to be the mojitos. I'd place them on par with Cafe Atlantico as the best I've had in the city. Cafe Salsa's are a bit different than Cafe Atlantico (though I've only been to Cafe Atlantico once so I don't remember exactly how, other than thinking when I was at Cafe Atlantico that they were a bit different than Cafe Salsa's) but both are the top rung for me.

I'm not certain if I'd go out of the way to go to Cafe Salsa or not. I know my GF would in a heartbeat. We only live a couple miles away from Old Town and she works a couple blocks away from Cafe Salsa so it's convenient. And the mojitos draw me in :-)

I'm really not sure since I've only lived in DC for around 3 years now... Cafe Salsa has been open a bit over 4 I think (not entirely certain).

It's on King, between Columbus and Washington. Majestic Cafe (which I still have to get to as well) is one block further from the water, as a reference.

Is this the place in the old King Pepper space?
That's the one. Although I haven't been in quite a while, I'd agree with the assessment - entrees aren't always too exciting. I do recall having had a good one - a fish special. The mojitos are decent and the bar upstairs is a fun place to hang out once in a while. If you feel like dancing, the salsa/pop combo beats the karaoke/top 40 scene at Rock-It Grill down the road!

It's on King, between Columbus and Washington. Majestic Cafe (which I still have to get to as well) is one block further from the water, as a reference.
Forget Cafe Salsa and go to Majestic...but don't take your GF, or you won't be going back to Cafe Salsa again.

Anyone ever been to Max's Kosher Cafe in Wheaton? I had a Ukranian-Israeli cabbie last night who swears up and down that they have the best shwarma he's ever had outside of Israel, and better than most he's had IN Israel...

I'm hoping this thread will be a holding place for any Mom-n-Pops you might come across until there is some response that merits a thread split.

So I'll start: Three I've heard about recently. Do any of them deserve their own thread?

Flavors Soul Food in Falls Church

French Quarter Café – Cajun in Germantown (9847 Century Blvd. in Germantown Town Center; 301-515-7693).

The Best Sandwich Place – 18th and L (approximately)

I'm hoping this thread will be a holding place for any you might come across until there is some response that merits a thread split.

So I'll start: Three I've heard about recently. Do any of them deserve their own thread?

Flavors Soul Food in Falls Church

French Quarter Café – Cajun in Germantown (9847 Century Blvd. in Germantown Town Center; 301-515-7693).

The Best Sandwich Place – 18th and L (approximately)

i am a big fan of the sandwiches at "so's your mom" 1831 columbia road.

one of these days rocks will accept my sandwich and pool challenge - smoked turkey, bacon, avocado on toasted croissant, followed by several games of one-hand one pocket at bedrock billiards which happens to be a few doors down on columbia

i am a big fan of the sandwiches at "so's your mom" 1831 columbia road.

one of these days rocks will accept my sandwich and pool challenge - smoked turkey, bacon, avocado on toasted croissant, followed by several games of one-hand one pocket at bedrock billiards which happens to be a few doors down on columbia

Danny no way I'm playing one-pocket against you - last time I was in you told me you subscribe to Hustler magazine.

Santa Fe Cafe in Mt. Pleasant in the basement of an apartment complex on 16th. 14K, a hotel restaurant in the Crowne Plaza (?) on 14th and K. I pass by these places all the time. Are they any good?

Had a memorable meal at 14k last year. As the weather was warm, we dined outside relaxing and enjoying the view.

The menu was limited, but excellent. They had both a few fine dining options and the usual steak house selections. Makes sense as they are in a hotel catering to business travelers who find comfort in the likes of Ruth's Chris, Morton's, The Palm, Capital Grille, etc.

The scallop appetizer though pricey was well worth it -- the absolutely most melt-in-my-mouth sea scallops ever. Oh, so delicately cooked!

How about the Sangria Cafe on 16th Street in Mt. Pleasant?

Sangria Cafe is interesting. I once had a couple of pupusas there while waiting for a friend who lives in the Woodner. It was really loud, as there were a couple of kids' birthday parties taking place, and a few groups of men having drinks on their Saturday afternoon. It was also really dark. I get a feeling they don't serve a lot of food, mostly beer. The pupusas were unremarkable, and took a long time to come out. The bartender seemed a bit confused that I actually wanted to eat something. I wouldn't really recommend going there, but I must admit it would be pretty sweet to have a bar on the ground floor of your apartment building, not to mention a grocery store.