Any recent visits to report? We liked Sabang when we lived in Wheaton but it's been several years since we visited. I had heard it's gone downhill.

We heard the same thing. Years ago we used to go there every year just after new years for a friends birthday and have a rather embarassing pig-out. It was awesome. We stopped going there maybe 5 yrs ago, so I can't say for certain.

Any recent visits to report? We liked Sabang when we lived in Wheaton but it's been several years since we visited. I had heard it's gone downhill.

Last time I was there, about 2.5 years ago, it was thoroughly mediocre. Went with a dozen friends and none of us had a memorable dish. I used to love the place.

Truth in advertising? :)The Wonderland Ballroom

So come by and see why The Washington City Paper will [emphasis added] one day call us "a surprising culinary hotspot serving up delightful meals at reasonable prices."

Especially since it was,

for almost five decades, Nob Hill, a gay bar that catered to middle-age, middle-class African Americans.
Ahh... Nob Hill... such fond memories... My! How the 'hood has changed!

Flying Fish on King Street. Anyone other than Grover and I gone there? Surely we're not the only ones...anyone?

I had a wonderful lunch there yesterday and I just love the art deco style of the place! It was pretty empty and they were having problems with their POS system (I guess you could say that their POS is a POS), but that did nothing to distract from our meal.

I had a wonderful lunch there yesterday and I just love the art deco style of the place! It was pretty empty and they were having problems with their POS system (I guess you could say that their POS is a POS), but that did nothing to distract from our meal.

Is this the newish place on King St? I ate there once maybe about 2 months after they opened (which was maybe 5-6 months ago now). We thought the sushi was okay but not great so we haven't really had a reason to go back. Usually if I'm in the Old Town area and looking for sushi we head over to Tokyo Japanese Steak House near the water, not that it's really all that special either but it always does a fine job for my tastes.

Is this the newish place on King St? I ate there once maybe about 2 months after they opened (which was maybe 5-6 months ago now). We thought the sushi was okay but not great so we haven't really had a reason to go back. Usually if I'm in the Old Town area and looking for sushi we head over to Tokyo Japanese Steak House near the water, not that it's really all that special either but it always does a fine job for my tastes.

I'm not sure how long they've been open, but I had a roll with an interesting texture that I really enjoyed; smooth and crunchy at the same time. You may want to give them another shot.

Does anyone know about Twigs?

I was captivated by an ad in the Washingtonian years ago, and always wanted to try it. Of course, that was 20 years ago, and the restaurant may be past its prime...

Twigs in the Hilton (or a hotel on 16th street?). I had a bland, expense-account type lunch there a few years ago. Definitely would not go on my own dime.

A few other places that don't seem to come up:

imho, two of the better Thai places in the District:

Thai Tanic

Kanlaya

for that matter, Thai places in the district don't seem to come up all that much on this board even though there are a fair number of them (e.g. Haad Thai, Thai Chili, ThaiPhoon, that place near Tortilla Coast, etc). Vietnamese also.. though I'm at a loss to come up with a single example in the District proper.

others that don't come up much..

Coppi's

Cafe Luna

many of the places on 8th St SE.

So how come nobody ever brings up Tiffany Tavern and Bistro Lafayette on King St? Even if you don't believe the (self proclaimed) "Best Hamburger in Town" sign, the Bluegrass is pretty decent (just watch out for the amateur Karaoke singing). Bistro Lafayette is small, small, small and somewhat arrogant in a nice French way.

A few other places that don't seem to come up:

imho, two of the better Thai places in the District:

Thai Tanic

Kanlaya

for that matter, Thai places in the district don't seem to come up all that much on this board even though there are a fair number of them (e.g. Haad Thai, Thai Chili, ThaiPhoon, that place near Tortilla Coast, etc). Vietnamese also.. though I'm at a loss to come up with a single example in the District proper.

I like Thai Tanic. And I was glad to see it packed the last time I went on a Saturday. We end up at Rice before Thai Tanic usually, mainly because it's a few blocks closer, and I was afriad Thai Tanic would suffer from other people doing the same. Doesn't seem my fears were warranted. And the green beans with chicken dish was nice and spicy.

Vietnamese also.. though I'm at a loss to come up with a single example in the District proper.
Nam Viet in Cleveland Park, and I think it has come up, is generally agreed to be the best Vietnamese in the city, although that's not saying very much. Then there are the almost universally reviled two restaurants next door to each other on M St. in Georgetown, and Miss Saigon on the other side of the street in the next block. The incarnation of Miss Saigon that used to be on Columbia Road was pretty good; I've never heard anything about the Georgetown place.

others that don't come up much..

Coppi's

Cafe Luna

many of the places on 8th St SE.

Belga Cafe

Fusion Grill (This is still so very very wrong. That place has been a Chinese restaurant since the late 70's or early 80's.)

Levi's Port Cafe

Old Siam

Tapitini and Ugly Mug are mentioned on this thread about eating near Eastern Market.Somewhere around here people talk about the Italian place next to Banana Cafe.

In the last few months I have hit Banana Cafe, Finn McCool's and the cheesesteak place at the corner of 8th and G. When it first opened BC was really, really good. Their mango margaritas were amazing and the roasted tomato salsa was fantastic. But it has lost a lot of the flavor that made it good. All I have had is beer and far food there but it was good. And the cheesesteak place, well, I hold a special place in my heart for that place. It's been around for around 20 years. During the 8 weeks my parents remodeled the kitch in the mid 80's we had subs and cheesesteaks there at least twice a week. The couple who worked there (and I think still do) became like family. Marty's deserves a nod as a good place on the hill for a family to eat and basic American food.

So how come nobody ever brings up Tiffany Tavern and Bistro Lafayette on King St? Even if you don't believe the (self proclaimed) "Best Hamburger in Town" sign, the Bluegrass is pretty decent (just watch out for the amateur Karaoke singing).

I thought the karaoke was up the road at the Rock-it grill? I know Tiffany had open-mike nights but I thought they had to do better than that :P Tiffany has always been a bluegrass place for me first, food good enough but secondary. Burgers good, but mass produced freezer fries. Dinner fish special usually overcooked on a broiler plate with a baked potato and salad, but decent for the price. It reminded me of dinners on vacation in Florida when I was younger, and not bad memories.

I thought the karaoke was up the road at the Rock-it grill? I know Tiffany had open-mike nights but I thought they had to do better than that :P Tiffany has always been a bluegrass place for me first, food good enough but secondary. Burgers good, but mass produced freezer fries. Dinner fish special usually overcooked on a broiler plate with a baked potato and salad, but decent for the price. It reminded me of dinners on vacation in Florida when I was younger, and not bad memories.
You're correct, it is open mike...got my Rock-It and Tiffany mixed. Burgers are good, fried forgettable, some of the singers worse. Like the bluegrass, tolerate the fish.

Don't ask me why I thought of this now, but I always meant to ask what the deal was with Peter's Passion, which sat vacant for a long time (Mourayo is there now). Who was Peter and what happened to him?
It was by far the most expensive restaurant on a block with a whole bunch of options (including Bistrot du Coin), and there was almost never any patrons whenever I walked by the place. High prices+no customers=Cooked Goose.

Ever since finding their old location empty and shuttered some years back, I had been wondering what happened to Pepino's Trattoria in Burtonsville. Imagine my surprise to discover (thank you, Google!) that not only are they alive and kicking, but that a lot of familiar names discussed them on eG a couple of years back!

This was a lunchtime favorite of mine when I lived and worked in Laurel a dozen years ago. So, do they still do that ex-Pines-of-Rome white pizza and their addictive yeasty bread? Is Memo still working the kitchen?

i was just discussing nirvana with a vegetarian co-worker, who has eaten there more recently than the one time i did, and neither of us was exactly thrilled with the place. the dosas weren't nearly as good as those i used to order all the time decades ago out of a hole in the wall above dupont circle. did you ever eat at paru, he asked? i couldn't recall, but when he told me the location i realized that paru was the source of the masala dosas that in my memory, at least, put nirvana to shame. it turns out that paru's masala dosa was exactly the same point of comparison that had soured him on nirvana.

Don't ask me why I thought of this now, but I always meant to ask what the deal was with Peter's Passion, which sat vacant for a long time (Mourayo is there now). Who was Peter and what happened to him?
I don't know but we had one really great meal there and then it disappeared. I seem to recall that Tom Sietsima gave it a very good review.

Mr. BLB and I spent 30 minutes trying to remember the name of it a few weeks ago--now if I could just remember where we went for my birthday in 2004, I'd feel like my brain hadn't completely fried itself...

did you ever eat at paru, he asked?
I mentioned Paru's in the "auld lang cuisine" thread quite a while back, but no one chimed in. Perhaps if I'd mentioned the location (it was on S St. between 20th and Connecticut, across from where Thai Phoon is now). I loved Paru's. Their dosas were probably the best I've ever had. You could have a feast there (or from there, as they were mostly a take-out joint) for about what you'd spend at McDonald's. I was really sorry to see them go.

Nirvana, on the other hand: A few weeks ago I ate from their buffet, and it was not an experience likely to draw me back. It was basically a choice of four or five different kinds of slop.

I have no earthly idea why Villa d'Este came to mind recently. Decent (if pricy) Italian on St. Asaph. Grover and I have eaten there a couple of times and the food is reasonably good but it just doesn't seem to be a destination restaurant (except for guests from the hotel across the street).

The second place is Stella's on King St. across from the King St. Metro. Another adequate place with some interesting menu items. Seems to be a after-work spot for west Old Town workers of a certain (youngish) age.

The second place is Stella's on King St. across from the King St. Metro. Another adequate place with some interesting menu items. Seems to be a after-work spot for west Old Town workers of a certain (youngish) age.

They make a pretty good burger, and the beer selection ain't bad. I used to go there after work when I was at the Whole Foods in Old Town. The last time I walked by, it seemed they were making an inexplicable attempt at a sushi bar. :lol:

They make a pretty good burger, and the beer selection ain't bad. I used to go there after work when I was at the Whole Foods in Old Town. The last time I walked by, it seemed they were making an inexplicable attempt at a sushi bar. :lol:
Unless Stella's is moving and completely redecorating, they're gone gone gone. Rasmus is currently auctioning off all of their stuff, right down to the old-timey bathroom signs.

Unless Stella's is moving and completely redecorating, they're gone gone gone. Rasmus is currently auctioning off all of their stuff, right down to the old-timey bathroom signs.

I guess that sushi bar was a last ditch effort to survive.

I've got dibs on the model airplane that hung over the bar!

That's too bad. Stella's perservered while the entire Eisenhower Avenue corridor built up. It would seem that a lot of potential customers moved into that area over the past several years and no one seems bent on capturing them, unless they all are goint to Ted's Montana Grill.

Speaking of restaurants that never come up, what about Monroe's at the corner of Monroe Ave. and Commonwealth in the Del Rey area. It's been reliable ever since it opened up. Basic Italian menu, good neighborhood spot. Always hard to get a seat on weekends. Lots of families.

Speaking of restaurants that never come up, what about Monroe's at the corner of Monroe Ave. and Commonwealth in the Del Rey area. It's been reliable ever since it opened up. Basic Italian menu, good neighborhood spot. Always hard to get a seat on weekends. Lots of families.
Middling Italian but Mary's mom (of DelMerie fame) owns it I believe. I do like the red wine bottle on the table, pay for what you drink idea though. It's where we go when we have friends who aren't adventurous enough to go somewhere "daring".

That's too bad. Stella's perservered while the entire Eisenhower Avenue corridor built up. It would seem that a lot of potential customers moved into that area over the past several years and no one seems bent on capturing them, unless they all are goint to Ted's Montana Grill.

I ate there years ago when Alison Swope was the Chef. It was decent.

Monmarte and Bistro d'Oc. two of my absolute favorites. Cozy French Food with authentic service and delicious food. not too extravagant, but perfectly presented.

I never hear enough about Tune Inn.

I think we should start a Tune Inn haiku post.

I'll think a couple up in my spare time... :o

Belga Cafe would get many more mentions if it wasn't located in the culinary wasteland that is Capitol Hill. Beck's may be the mussles hot spot of late, but they do a great job with several different preparations of them here. Plus, dining al fresca is a great option at this time of year. Entrees are priced in the high twenties, but they are doing some interesting stuff. This is a serious restaurant and one that is doing some interesting things from salads to onion tarts.

Tonight for the first time, MMV and I went to eat -in at Rice and Noodles, a small (seemingly family run) Thai eat in/take out/delivery near the intersection of Franconia and Beulah in Va. We've been getting take out and delivery for a while and it's always been good.

We got there around 6:30 and were seated right away. There are about 15 or so tables inside, with 3 seats at the bar. Everything was cooked fresh and presented nicely, without being shy about spice. Larb Gai, Tiger Beef, Pad Prik Ka Prow with shrimp and Yellow Curry with Chicken pleased us both. Our waiters were nice: asking how things were and filling waters often (whooooo, the larb worked up a thirst!). We packed up a bit of leftovers, and with a beer it came to just under $40 with tip.

They seemed to know regulars and took special orders without a problem. There seemed to be a very popular drink that I saw several folks order. I think it had cream added to it, and when stirred, became carrot colored. Hadn't seen that before.

Last the place was small, clean and not at all hip but rather quaint.

Make sure you get hominy grits. They are harder to find but well worth it. They are toothsome unlike the quick grits you find at most grocery stores.

I know there are quite a few restaurants around this area that use Anson Mills for their grits. Not sure if Cashion's is one, but check 'em out. They're cheap enough just to give a shot, you know??

http://www.ansonmills.com/

I know there are quite a few restaurants around this area that use Anson Mills for their grits. Not sure if Cashion's is one, but check 'em out. They're cheap enough just to give a shot, you know??

http://www.ansonmills.com/

Yes, I have tried these. Very good grits, but they take forever to cook. They can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to get them just right.

This kind of brings up the idea of doing a, perhaps once-a-month, Discovery Safari. Pick a restaurant that is either not represented, or severely under-represented and, for better or worse sample its wares. Shogun's Woo Lae Oak is a neat call. Not particularly inconvenient to get to. Have any of us ever been there? It might be fun to hit somewhere that none of us have been to so we have absolutely no expectations.

Does anyone have any interest in doing this? Maybe an informal, week-long, go-whenever-you-can Restaurant of the Week? I'd make it a point to squeeze in a visit, so you have at least one taker here.

I was in Bethesda a while back and saw some unfamiliar joints:

Nark Kara-- a Thai restaurant

Mia's Pizza-- pizza, apparently

La Panetteria-- checkered tablecloth Eyetalian

Anyone have the 411?

La Panetteria has been in Bethesda at least 20 years. I haven't eaten there in 10 or so, but it used to be pretty good. Not outstanding, but good and worth going back for, which is unusual enough around here. It's not the great Italian you can get in any midpriced hole in the wall in any town in NJ, NY, or CT but it was good.

I think Tom Sietsema or Todd Kliman did a review of Mia's Pizza perhaps in the past 6 mos.