L'Hommage Bistro - Chef Josh Perkins at 5th and K Street NW in Mount Vernon Triangle - Closed

It took some digging, but I independently confirmed that L'Hommage Bistro will be opening at 450 K Street NW, just east of Mount Vernon Square.

The Chef de Cuisine will be Josh Perkins, who was most recently at Ecco in Atlanta - he has 25 years of experience in the industry.

The Mâitre d' is named Mustafa Fairtout (I'm not sure about the spelling of Mustafa's last name), who was a Server at Cafe Milano.

This will be a classical French bistro with onion soup, páté, steak frites, etc.

The restaurant will seat 175 with 50 at the bar and 80 on the patio.

Owner is Hakan Ilhan of Al Dente et al.

A bakery will be attached to the bistro, selling French breads, sandwiches, coffee, and to-go meals - the bread will be made in-house.

---

I was also sent this article: "Alba Osteria Owner Hakan Ilhan to Open French Restaurant in Mount Vernon Triangle" by Rebecca Cooper on bizjournals.com

I heard a rumor (emphasis: rumor) from a friend who overheard two employees of L'Hommage Bistro talking at a bar, and they were saying that the restaurant was closing, and then switching over from French to Mexican under the same ownership. This was the very first I'd heard about this, and I haven't seen it published anywhere else.

This person heard it with his own ears, and he is extremely trustworthy; whether or not the two employees knew anything factual, that's a different story entirely.

However, I did a little probing, and on L'Hommage's Facebook page, it now says that it's a "Mexican Restaurant."

Screenshot 2017-06-16 at 4.11.37 PM.png

So, even though it must be considered "unsubstantiated" (I haven't confirmed it with ownership, and it's not mentioned on their website), I've now heard/seen this in two independent places.

Screenshot 2017-06-16 at 4.10.03 PM.png

It should also be noted that OpenTable shows absolutely no signs of closure, and usually when a restaurant is going to close, they prohibit reservations after a certain date.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2017 at 7:12 PM, DonRocks said:

I heard a rumor (emphasis: rumor) from a friend who overheard two employees of L'Hommage Bistro talking at a bar, and they were saying that the restaurant was closing, and then switching over from French to Mexican under the same ownership. This was the very first I'd heard about this, and I haven't seen it published anywhere else.

Now confirmed, from the Mt Vernon Triangle CID Facebook Page:

Restaurateur Hakan Ilhan (seen here with MVT CID President & CEO Kenyattah Robinson at this year's Annual Meeting) has announced plans to launch a new restaurant and a gelateria shop in the current L’Hommage Bistro Francais and bakery spaces at 5th and K Streets, NW. L’Hommage and the bakery space will close their doors on Monday, July 3, after operating through the July 1 and 2 weekend.

After undergoing a complete redesign and renovation, the L’Hommage space will become a yet-to-be-named Latin American restaurant with a menu offering approachable, moderately-priced foods from Mexico, Spain and other Latin American countries. In the current bakery space adjacent to L’Hommage, Ilhan will open a separate gelateria — already named “Gelateria Dolce Vita” — with delicious #gelato made in-house with the best possible ingredients. This will be the second location for Gelateria Dolce Vita, with the other currently operating on the Georgetown waterfront.

Ilhan noted, “We are very excited to bring our new Latin American concept to the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood. The restaurant menu will provide diners with an array of fresh, house-made options, from small plates to all-you-can-eat offerings, along with an exciting beverage list. Our large restaurant space lends itself well to this new concept. Our gelateria will be the first of its kind in the community and we think it will be a perfect fit for residents, office workers and visitors from around the city.”

Both concepts will open in early 2018, joining two other Hakan Ilhan restaurants, Ottoman Taverna and Alba Osteria, as destination restaurants in the MVT CID.

• Like 2

I guess I feel that if you are making an entire concept for a restaurant, investing money and time in decor and, hopefully, doing menu research and development, that you get these basic things right. 

Edited to add:  it also goes to a pet peeve of mine - namely lumping Mexican, "Spanish", and Latin American foods together.  Latin America is a geographic concept - the countries are individual and draw from many different influences.  Central Americans tend to hate spicy food, whereas Mexican love it.   You'll find no tortillas in Brazil or Argentina or Chile, where corn is not a huge staple, just as you'll find little yucca in Mexico.  People get upset about Pan-Asian, what about getting upset about Pan-Latin?   And don't get me started about Spain -- yes, Spain was an influence on most of these cuisines, but in general you'll find few traditional Spanish dishes in the Americas.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rieux said:

I guess I feel that if you are making an entire concept for a restaurant, investing money and time in decor and, hopefully, dong menu research and development, that you get these basic things right. 

Edited to add:  it also goes to a pet peeve of mine - namely lumping Mexican, "Spanish", and Latin American foods together.  Latin America is a geographic concept - the countries are individual and draw from many different influences.  Central Americans tend to hate spicy food, whereas Mexican love it.   You'll find no tortillas in Brazil or Argentina or Chile, where corn is not a huge staple, just as you'll find little yucca in Mexico.  People get upset about Pan-Asian, what about getting upset about Pan-Latin?   And don't get me started about Spain -- yes, Spain was an influence on most of these cuisines, but in general you'll find few traditional Spanish dishes in the Americas.

Could not agree more.