DR outing for Peking Duck at Peking Duck Restaurant, Alexandria

http://www.pekingduck.com/

This thread is to organize an outing for Peking duck at Peking Duck Restaurant in Alexandria.

So far, Bart and JSnake are interested. Please let me know if you'd like to join.

I suggest a Saturday or Sunday because I won't be able to get there at a reasonable time on a weekday with rush hour traffic.

A Sat or Sun in August? Lunch or dinner? What works for people?

• Like 1

A Sunday lunch works best for me, since I'm disabled and have to bring my home nurse everywhere I go. I have a different home nurse every day and my most capable one works on Sundays and leaves in the late afternoon.

In addition to being out of town most weekends, we'll be driving back from the Outer Banks that day so I'm doubly out.

I'll just note that August 9th will be the 20 anniversary of Jerry Garcia's passing, so if you're making toasts, send one Jerry's way!

Anyone else interested?  I'm planning to call them on Saturday after lunch.

Do you know if they allow outside alcohol?  Perhaps some of us could bring a few bottles of bubbly/wine since we'll have at least 10 people and pay a corkage fee?

I've made the reservation for Sun, Aug 9, at noon under Rockwell. Please bring cash to make paying simpler.

Do you know if they allow outside alcohol?  Perhaps some of us could bring a few bottles of bubbly/wine since we'll have at least 10 people and pay a corkage fee?

I asked, and the answer is no.

I am slowly getting back into my knife sharpening. Since my kitchen remodel has overtaken my workroom, I'm just doing it by hand on my Edge-Pro, but if anyone coming to the dinner wants to arrange some sharpening (either before to pick up on that Sunday, or bring them on Sunday to pick up sometime after), please PM me and we can work out arrangements.

• Like 1

Hopefully they had a round table with a giant lazy Susan that could twirl around and seat 12.

It was a long table.  I couldn't hear what Thistle and The Matt were saying 'cause they were at the other end, but I have no other complaints :) . Too bad you couldn't be there. You would have enjoyed the company.

Watching the duck be carved was pretty amazing, though most of what I saw of that was a table near me getting some, not ours.  The pancakes were the lightest thinnest crepes imaginable.  Really good.  I hadn't had Peking Duck in ages, but the pancakes were never that translucent.

And we ordered a huge amount of other food.

(OK, lovehockey, I went first :P )

• Like 2

The steamed dumplings were the surprise hit for me. I mean, I loved the duck, but I knew that was going to be good. But the dumplings had such a gentle bite, weren't overly heavy and were loaded with sauce and tasty filling. Good meal, overall. :)

• Like 1

The steamed dumplings were the surprise hit for me. I mean, I loved the duck, but I knew that was going to be good. But the dumplings had such a gentle bite, weren't overly heavy and were loaded with sauce and tasty filling. Good meal, overall. :)

Now I need to get some steamed dumplings...

We came, we saw, we ate.  Two whole ducks and a bunch of other dishes.  I think everyone went home with leftovers.  I know I did.

And because of the varied company there were dishes I'd never seen before and I've been going there for quite a while (you get in a rut and...).

Good company, good place to frequent.  pekingduck.com

It was great to dine with other enthusiastic eaters (y'all don't mind if I call you that, right?) & revisit a place I haven't been to in awhile. While I'm still unconvinced on duck (a personal quirk), the hot & sour soup & the Szechuan green beans that Matt ordered were my favorites. I was disappointed that the bang-bang shrimp which was described 'w/ a spicy pepper sauce' was kind of nondescript.

The ladies waiting on us were very sweet & scolded my daughter for not eating more of her broccoli. Lizzy gets her driver's license today & for her first solo outing, I'm letting her drive herself & a friend to El Paso for lunch. It's only 2 miles away, I'll probably be a little nervous, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. Edited- they went to Wegmans, for sushi, instead.

• Like 1