Freddie King (1934-1976), Legendary Texas Bluesman and One of the "Three Kings of Blues Guitar"

The Hersch

One of the greatest and most influential electric guitar-players in the history of electric guitar, his live performances were, well, electrifying:

I had the enormous pleasure of catching Freddie King live at the old Jazz Workshop on Boylston Street in Boston, probably about a year after this recording, and man that cat could wail. He had this way of throwing in some really surprising, flawless lick, and then he'd look out at the audience with a sly grin. His set that night was one of the high points of my life. He really tore the house down:

• Like 2

Don: Thanks for the link (that you inserted in my post) about Paul's Mall/Jazz Workshop. Sometimes I feel like I must have imagined those rooms. I still can't figure out how I managed to see so many great acts there (Bob Marley and the Wailers! Bobby Bland! The Johnny Otis Show! Freddie King!) during a period of my life when I had practically no money at all.