Emil Gilels (1916-1985), Soviet Pianist from Odessa, Ukraine - Widely Considered One Of the Twentieth-Century Greats

DonRocks

Two extremely knowledgeable friends of mine (a professional musician and a world-class amateur) cannot agree on this one performer - I say Gilels is world-class in every respect; they say he's "stiff." I say they're wrong; they say I'm wrong. I'm hoping that this title attracts knowledgeable pianists on Google that are familiar enough with Gilels to express an opinion.

I don't even see this as being a close call. Gilels plays 20th-century Russian music better than anyone, including Richter.

Love of Three Oranges (you have to watch on YouTube)

Petruschka is brilliantly executed by Gilels, but it is not instructive to the argument.  These are very clever and fun showpieces, and display a side of Gilels' playing that is not being disputed.  There is so much more to Stravinsky, and it takes a complete artist such as Maria Yudina to hammer the point home, despite a slight pun being buried somewhere in this sentence.

Don't care for this 129, even though I am quite a fan of Kissin.  Too fast (clearly serving the purpose of the occasion), with a marvelous rhythm and the sense of humor being lost.  This 111 is outstanding, one of the greatest I've ever heard; very similar to Richter's actually, but with more poise despite the blitzkrieg.  How is all this related to Gilels?