Sign in to follow this  
DonRocks

Clemson Tigers Football (1896-), ACC (1953-) Atlantic Division (2005-)

On 10/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, DonRocks said:

Hunter Johnson is a true freshman who, by ESPN's rating system, was rated as the #1 pocket-passing quarterback in the country in 2017; yet, he's currently the 3rd-string quarterback for Clemson. From what little I'd seen of him, I thought sure he should be the starting quarterback for Clemson this year, but that job went to Kelly Bryant, the #10-rated dual threat QB in 2015 (while the backup job has gone to Zerrick Cooper, the #9-rated pocket-passing QB in 2016).

"Hunter Johnson Elects To Transfer, Leaving Clemson with Only Two Five-Star QBs" by Nihal Kolur on si.com

From everything I saw, Hunter Johnson should have been the starting QB last year - I never understood what they saw in Kelly Bryant - whoever lands Johnson is going to be very fortunate.

The signing of Trevor Lawrence signaled the eventual transfer of Johnson - now, Clemson needs to hope Lawrence doesn't get hurt.

"Clemson Football: Johnson Transfer Says More about Trevor Lawrence" by Shawn Spencer on rubbingtherock.com

Alabama's sophomore Tua Tagovailoa has a cannon for an arm, JT Daniels is starting for USC (after being named Sports Illustrated's Male High School Athlete of the Year), and Justin Fields is starting for Georgia - it's a heck of a time for young, college quarterbacks - barring injuries, I predict Trevor Lawrence is a future NFL All-Pro - this kid is fantastic, and I don't see how Clemson is going to lose this year until the playoffs (and I've never, *ever* thought that before).

"Clemson Names True Freshman Trevor Lawrence Its Starting Quarterback" by Khadrice Rollins on si.com

An elite team may find out that Clemson's Achilles Heel is their defensive backfield, and someone like Tagovailoa has the potential to exploit that relative weakness, but he's going to be passing while on the run - Clemson's defensive line might be the greatest in college football history. Sports Illustrated said as much:

Clemson.jpg

"The 4 Unique Talents that Combine To Create the Country's Most Terrifying Defensive Line" by Richard Johnson on sbnation.com
"Clemson Could Have a Defensive Line for the Ages" by Greg Joyce on nypost.com
"The 2019 Defensive Line Class Could Make Modern NFL Draft History" by David Ching on forbes.com
"Clemson's Four Defensive Linemen Are Inseparable, Unblockable" by David Hale on espn.com

Well, now it's starting to make sense to me: Of the five quarterbacks listed below, three (including former starter Kelly Bryant) are now transfers:

On 10/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, DonRocks said:

Clemson is known for their ferocious defensive line, but they've snuck up on everybody when it comes to recruiting pro-style quarterbacks:

Pocket Passers
2018 Trevor Lawrence #1
2017 Hunter Johnson #1
2016 Zerrick Cooper #9

Dual Threat
2015 Kelly Bryant #10
2014 Deshaun Watson #1

On 10/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, will_5198 said:

"The trend is clear: Most elite high school QBs think they’re going to beat out whoever is front of them.""

If you're good enough to be considered one of, if not the best quarterback in HS, you don't think about losing a competition. Call it hubris or naivete or that alpha dog mentality so treasured in football, but these guys only see themselves as competition. If I grew up loving Clemson and Clemson loves me, and I've outperformed every other quarterback I've ever been put up against, I'm not going to my second choice because somebody else with a high star ranking is already there.

Of course, as anyone who follows college football regularly can tell you, there are plenty of times that these highly ranked recruits turn out to be not that good. Especially at quarterback. So an abundance of riches ends up being one viable starter.

That reminds me of USC's 2006-2007 recruiting classes, at the height of the Carroll dynasty. In 2006 they signed four of the top 13 running backs in the class. In 2007 they signed the top 1 and 2 running backs in the class, the former being the number one overall player in the country. None of them turned into an All-American, a few transferred out, only one was drafted by the NFL and at the end of their careers it just turned into the familiar recruiting tale that the next big thing may never come -- even if you have a bunch of them.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:29 PM, DonRocks said:

"Hunter Johnson Elects To Transfer, Leaving Clemson with Only Two Five-Star QBs" by Nihal Kolur on si.com

From everything I saw, Hunter Johnson should have been the starting QB last year - I never understood what they saw in Kelly Bryant - whoever lands Johnson is going to be very fortunate.

The signing of Trevor Lawrence signaled the eventual transfer of Johnson - now, Clemson needs to hope Lawrence doesn't get hurt.

"Clemson Football: Johnson Transfer Says More about Trevor Lawrence" by Shawn Spencer on rubbingtherock.com

"Clemson Quarterback Kelly Bryant Says He Will Transfer after Demotion" by Manie Robinson on usatoday.com
"Why the Clemson QB Transfer Will Reverberate through Every College Football Locker Room" by Dan Wolken on usatoday.com

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney gave Bryant the courtesy of letting him know *before* this weekend's game. That gave Bryant the freedom to transfer without having to sit out a year; had Swinney simply not said anything, and played him this coming Saturday, Bryant would have been stuck at Clemson (due to the new red-shirt rules). That says a lot about Coach Swinney, putting an individual's well-being before that of his own team (Clemson is now left without a decent backup quarterback, and it may well cost them the national championship) - it was one of the classiest moves I've ever seen.

I won't say much about Clemson (people are probably sick of it), but I'd be remiss not to at least mention it for posterity.

dabo.jpg

There's also a cover about Trevor Lawrence - both he and Justyn Ross really are special talents.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 4:11 PM, DonRocks said:

Clemson's defensive line might be the greatest in college football history. Sports Illustrated said as much:

Clemson.jpg

"The 4 Unique Talents that Combine To Create the Country's Most Terrifying Defensive Line" by Richard Johnson on sbnation.com
"Clemson Could Have a Defensive Line for the Ages" by Greg Joyce on nypost.com
"The 2019 Defensive Line Class Could Make Modern NFL Draft History" by David Ching on forbes.com
"Clemson's Four Defensive Linemen Are Inseparable, Unblockable" by David Hale on espn.com

---

On 2/22/2019 at 1:44 PM, TedE said:

He shouldn't play another second of college basketball

23 hours ago, DaveO said:

Shut it down Zion.

How cool is it that the entire Clemson defensive line came back to win a National Championship? 

"From Fellow Recruits to Blossoming Stars, Clemson's Defensive Line Ready for One Last Ride" by Grace Raynor on postandcourier.com

• Like 1