Pineapple and Pearls, Fine Dining Restaurant on Barracks Row by Rose's Luxury, $325 All-Inclusive Including Drinks - $225 (No Drinks) at the Bar

I'm not spending $500 on dinner unless I've heard it's fantastic from a number of sources.

For better or for worse, this.  At that price point I'd rather spend somewhere in Spain or Japan (especially while exchange rates are so favorable by recent standards), or even SF/NYC.  Or simply wait in line at Rose's given that we haven't been in nearly three years.

• Like 2

A first look at the dinner offerings from Washingtonian

"Scott [Muns], our head chef, has a smoked beef rib dish," Silverman says. "He's excellent at Mexican cuisine, so it's a smoked beef rib with an intricate mole and nixtamalized grits."

"Another plate Silverman is quick to show off: white-asparagus okonomiyaki from sous chef Jonny Black. A tender asparagus spear coated with mushroom duxelles and chicken mousse is rolled in a rice-flour crepe, then topped with bonito flakes for a play on the Japanese street food."

"The nightcap combines Dolin Blanc vermouth, Speyside Scotch, strawberry vinegar from Lindera Farms, and the leftover juice from the compressed strawberries adorning the cheese course."

For better or for worse, this.  At that price point I'd rather spend somewhere in Spain or Japan (especially while exchange rates are so favorable by recent standards), or even SF/NYC.  Or simply wait in line at Rose's given that we haven't been in nearly three years.

Completely agreed.

Also from the Washingtonian:

"The seats at the bar are for reservations only, but the experience is different from the dining room and the chef's counter. "We want the bar to have its own appeal to it," Faile says. There, diners will eat the same tasting menu, however drinks are not included, which drops the base price down to $150. Faile's $20 "show cocktails," are available for purchase, and you can also order classics."

Although maybe not ideal, and definitely ironic, those who don't want to drink alcohol can get the tasting menu only at a lower price point if they sit at the bar.

• Like 2

Although maybe not ideal, and definitely ironic, those who don't want to drink alcohol can get the tasting menu only at a lower price point if they sit at the bar.

That's partially true. If you reserve at the bar, drinks aren't included, but they obviously expect you to order drinks a-la-carte. If you reserve at a table, during checkout, you are asked if you want the alcoholic or non-alcoholic pairing. The non-alcoholic pairing is a lower price, I think by $20 or $30.

The space is really beautiful - we went to Rose's on Saturday night and Chef Silverman was nice enough to give us a tour before we sat down to eat.  The bar in particular is absolutely gorgeous.  It's definitely not as "homey" of a feel as next door, but it is still very warm and inviting.  The kitchen is magnificent - I couldn't believe it was the same space that used to be a home goods store!

I'm semi surprised this place hasn't been reviewed as it's already been open for a full week!   I just did a quick tally of available seats and by my count there are 453 open seats between now and May 6th, the last day they are currently offering reservations for.

Both those data points are rather telling.

• Like 1

I'm semi surprised this place hasn't been reviewed as it's already been open for a full week!   I just did a quick tally of available seats and by my count there are 453 open seats between now and May 6th, the last day they are currently offering reservations for.

I went for one of the soft opening nights and have nothing but good things to say, but wouldn't review a place based on that experience.

• Like 1

I think more is in play here than just a reluctance to pay the $250 price. The reservation schedule has only two windows for reservations - 5 to 6 PM and 8:15 to 9:15. For many, the first block is too early, due to work schedules and whatnot, and the second window may be to late for starting a 2 to 3 hour dining experience in the middle of the workweek. I say that because there is currently only one open reservation (for 3) for Friday, May 13th on the website, and only a few openings on the Fridays proceeding that date.

As someone who often dines as a single, the biggest problem is that the only option I would have for any reservation is at the bar. There are no single reservation options at the tables and booths (for obvious reasons), and none at the Chef's Counter (my favorite spot) in the latest reservation block.

TSchaad

• Like 1

I am not surprised at all; potential diners like me are approaching this place with trepidation given Chef Silverman's penchant for "southern/comfort" cooking.  For $250 a head, I first want to see the menu and hope that it includes the likes of caviar, foie, wagyu, etc...  The fact that P&P operates as a morning cafe serving fried chicken sandwiches also cheapens the brand for me personally.

I am not surprised at all; potential diners like me are approaching this place with trepidation given Chef Silverman's penchant for "southern/comfort" cooking. For $250 a head, I first want to see the menu and hope that it includes the likes of caviar, foie, wagyu, etc... The fact that P&P operates as a morning cafe serving fried chicken sandwiches also cheapens the brand for me personally.

The Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare is Michelin 3 Star restaurant. Attached to a grocery store.
  • Like 2

I am not surprised at all; potential diners like me are approaching this place with trepidation given Chef Silverman's penchant for "southern/comfort" cooking.  For $250 a head, I first want to see the menu and hope that it includes the likes of caviar, foie, wagyu, etc...  The fact that P&P operates as a morning cafe serving fried chicken sandwiches also cheapens the brand for me personally.

"Cheapens the brand"...really?  who cares what the cafe serves during the day? (other than you obviously).

"Cheapens the brand"...really?  who cares what the cafe serves during the day? (other than you obviously). 

Hmmm.... $250 a head at night vs. a $10 falafel sandwich during the day from the same restaurant.  To each his own, I guess.

Hmmm.... $250 a head at night vs. a $10 falafel sandwich during the day from the same restaurant.  To each his own, I guess.

wow, that's one of the most ridiculous rationals I've read on this board, and a lot of ridiculous things have been posted on this board over the years.

Was the Laboratorio experience cheapen because Roberto served kick ass roast pork sandwiches from the same space during lunch?  That's just silly.

• Like 1

I get a sense that some people are hoping for crash and burn ... Just the tone of a lot of people. The fact that it sounds like what Rose's isn't is why I'm not excited about it.

Hey, that whole falafel thing in the AM and fine dining just might not appeal to people. Like listening to Yo Yo Ma at a dive bar, haha ... Not a big deal to me, but it might be for others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tweaked said:

wow, that's one of the most ridiculous rationals I've read on this board, and a lot of ridiculous things have been posted on this board over the years.  

Was the Laboratorio experience cheapen because Roberto served kick ass roast pork sandwiches from the same space during lunch?  That's just silly. 

How many times are you going to modify your posts? :)

As I had politely mentioned earlier, the concept does not appeal to me personally.  Ridiculous or not, that is my opinion.  I enjoy a falafel and a fried chicken sandwich just like most people on this forum.  Also, just like many of you here, I have traveled extensively and eaten at some highly coveted restaurants (Michelin and not) throughout the world.  For a price of $250 a person, most (if not all) high end restaurants in Europe and Asia will be fully committed to their lunch/dinner service only, where an almost identical menu is served.  I hope P&P is a massive success (Sietsema's just published WP review seems to suggest it will be) and will be trying it in the near future.  The overall inexpensive cafe/expensive restaurant concept is a bit too casual for my liking, however.

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:

I get a sense that some people are hoping for crash and burn ... Just the tone of a lot of people. The fact that it sounds like what Rose's isn't is why I'm not excited about it. 

I wouldn't go that far, but it's hard not to get a feeling of hubris when observing Silverman in general. Whether it's the no reservation policy at Rose's, or the lack of Saturday service at P&P, you certainly get a "I'm doing it my way and if you don't like it screw you" vibe. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that...it's entirely his right, and good for him if he can back it up.

Still, I'd never, ever root for someplace to crash and burn...I have too much respect for anyone that takes the risk to open a restaurant. But at the same time, I don't root for them to succeed as much as I might root for people like Ferhat, or Jeff Heineman, etc., those that truly seem to care about what's best for their customers.

Then there's the price. I think it's safe to say that most places in town that are at a similar price point are those that started lower and moved up as their stature improved. I remember Minibar at $65. Jumping in on top, again, is a bold move, especially with the ticketing policy.

So to sum up, I hope the restaurant is fantastic and they do great...but don't expect me to be enthusiastic about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MSDCX said:

How many times are you going to modify your post? :)

As I had politely mentioned earlier, the concept does not appeal to me personally.  Ridiculous or not, that is my opinion.  I enjoy a falafel and a fried chicken sandwich just like most people on this forum.  Also, just like many of you here, I have traveled extensively and eaten at some highly coveted restaurants (Michelin and not) throughout the world.  For a price of $250 a person, most (if not all) high end restaurants in Europe and Asia will be fully committed to their lunch/dinner service only, where an almost identical menu is served.  I hope P&P is a massive success (Sietsema's just published WP review seems to suggest it will be) and will be trying it in the near future.  The overall inexpensive cafe/expensive restaurant concept is a bit too casual for my liking, however.

Whatever.  I fail to see how a falafel served 8 hours before hand, in a section of the establishment that you walk past to get to the dining room, cheapens your experience of eating bone marrow served in an egg shell. 

And I'll modify one of my posts as many times as I want to modify one of my posts.  Thank you very much.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoshNE said:

I went for one of the soft opening nights and have nothing but good things to say, but wouldn't review a place based on that experience.

Likewise.  That said, Sietsema's very favorable review nicely describes a number of the things we noticed, enjoyed, and happily consumed. 

On 4/4/2016 at 0:55 PM, DanielK said:

That's partially true. If you reserve at the bar, drinks aren't included, but they obviously expect you to order drinks a-la-carte. If you reserve at a tabe, during checkout, you are asked if you want the alcoholic or non-alcoholic pairing. The non-alcoholic pairing is a lower price, I think by $20 or $30.

Yes, at the bar, you can choose what you want for drinks.  I had dinner at the bar and pre-paid $150 for food.  Once I was there, I was given the option of the alcoholic beverage pairing ($100) or a cocktail or wine by the glass.  I didn't ask, but I would assume you could ask for the non alcoholic pairing as well.  As of last week, I think cocktails were available at the bar but not the dining room.  I enjoyed both the presentation and taste of the coffee cocktail ($20 including tip/tax) (I'd order the coffee cocktail with dessert).

• Like 3

On 3/30/2016 at 0:20 PM, mtureck said:

Personally, I'm surprised that there are so many bookings.

I'm not spending $500 on dinner unless I've heard it's fantastic from a number of sources.

Agreed. Theoretically, the pedigree is there (I have no idea as I will never go to Rose's Luxury myself due to no reservations policy and I have no desire to wait hours for a table).

On 3/6/2016 at 6:48 PM, Bart said:

One thing that strikes me as a little strange is the fact that they are not going to be open on Saturday night.  Seems like a weird choice for special occasion type of place where the meal will likely be many hours long.

I do too. For $250 a head all in for a multiple-hours dinner during the week is a little odd. I have done it, but I prefer to do this thing on a Friday (which they do have), Sunday or Saturday (especially!). I'd rather they be open Wednesday to Sunday and I might actually go there. With their current hours....? It just quickly went way down on my list to try. I'd rather go to Kinship.

Doesn't look like we've split the thread yet, so...

Hubby (and doggie) and I walked to P&P on Friday afternoon to grab lunch.  We were thrilled to see and catch up with Jeff F. - it had been a long time.  The place was doing a very steady business - seemed like more people were going in for coffee/pastry than for sandwiches, but it was on the earlier side.

We got the fried chicken sandwich and the falafel sandwich, both of which were $9.  If I had to choose a favorite, the falafel would win by a nose - it was really fresh and tasty, and I thought it was huge for the price.  The chicken sandwich was a nice mix of sweet and salty, but it was very hard to eat without utensils - I went back in to see if they had a plastic fork or something, and no dice.  Maybe they would have had cutlery if I'd asked, but I was in a bit of a hurry, and I think it's a little weird for a 100% take-out place not to have that kind of thing out for customers to grab.

We wolfed everything down - very, very good.  Not someplace we'll go every week, but it's a nice, quick option that also is a high-quality product.

• Like 1

There's a part of me that wants to try P&P, but there are 3 reasons I probably won't.

1) I don't drink alcohol and I'm not going to spend $75 on a mocktail pairing.  I find it offensive.  I know I can avoid that by sitting at the bar, but why require people who don't drink to sit at the bar??  

2) They aren't open on Saturdays. I believe it's a terrible business decision and they will eventually realize it.   My work schedule isn't predictable enough to make a weeknight reservation with 100% certainty, and I'm not going to risk $250 on it.

3) I ate their spicy fried chicken sandwich for lunch and, maybe I'm just clueless about acceptable ways of frying chicken, but it was burnt to a crisp on the outside (to the point where it was black in color and the outer 1/2 centimeter of the chicken had zero moisture and was stringy.  Maybe I'm just ignorant and this is a perfectly acceptable way to fry chicken, and I'd be curious if that is in fact the case.  Even if I am wrong, if the chef can't cook a fried chicken sandwich to my taste, I'm not going to trust them enough to drop $250 on dinner.

I won't wish failure on a restaurant, but I do worry that if Aaron Silverman succeeds with P&P in its current form, he will push the envelope even more on his next restaurant and require guests to eat blindfolded standing up, cook their own food and clean their own table, charge $25 for special filtered water, or something similarly absurd.

• Like 4

On 4/25/2016 at 8:08 PM, ALargeFarva said:

There's a part of me that wants to try P&P, but there are 3 reasons I probably won't.

1) I don't drink alcohol and I'm not going to spend $75 on a mocktail pairing.  I find it offensive.  I know I can avoid that by sitting at the bar, but why require people who don't drink to sit at the bar??  

2) They aren't open on Saturdays. I believe it's a terrible business decision and they will eventually realize it.   My work schedule isn't predictable enough to make a weeknight reservation with 100% certainty, and I'm not going to risk $250 on it.

3) I ate their spicy fried chicken sandwich for lunch and, maybe I'm just clueless about acceptable ways of frying chicken, but it was burnt to a crisp on the outside (to the point where it was black in color and the outer 1/2 centimeter of the chicken had zero moisture and was stringy.  Maybe I'm just ignorant and this is a perfectly acceptable way to fry chicken, and I'd be curious if that is in fact the case.  Even if I am wrong, if the chef can't cook a fried chicken sandwich to my taste, I'm not going to trust them enough to drop $250 on dinner.

I won't wish failure on a restaurant, but I do worry that if Aaron Silverman succeeds with P&P in its current form, he will push the envelope even more on his next restaurant and require guests to eat blindfolded standing up, cook their own food and clean their own table, charge $25 for special filtered water, or something similarly absurd.

1) I can't disagree with this point. I would love to have dined at the kitchen counter. 

2) I think you're wrong.  Of course I'm only speculating, but I believe Silverman et al have built enough of a following that they will have no problem filling tables Tuesday thru Friday.  Having the other days off means Rose's Luxury won't be playing second fiddle to P&P, so quality won't suffer. Not just the quality of the food, but the quality of the staff and therefore the quality of the experience.

3) Sucks about the chicken, but mistakes happen. If mine had come out that way I would have politely asked them to make me another. The one I ate today was nothing like what you described.  I hope yours was the aberration, not mine!

53 minutes ago, porcupine said:

Nonetheless, I wanted to try Pineapple and Pearls because I have a lot of respect for what the Rose's Luxury team has done.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe how wonderful the meal was.  Many dishes presented had crazy combinations of ingredients that couldn't possibly work together, but every one did.  They were brilliantly conceived and perfectly executed.

There's no use to me describing the food.  I loved it, I loved the experience (they know how to be hospitable), and I can't wait to go back to see what Silverman and his crew come up with next.

Please book a meal at Metier and do a comparison!!!    (kidding......not really kidding)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JoshNE said:

I'll take up that challenge.  Metier booked for mid-May.

I'm going tonight....whooo-hooo,  but don't have a P&P visit planed yet.  All the talk upthread scared me a little.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert Rymarz said:

With neither open 30 days yet. Imagine after giving them a full year of service. 

Hey man...I have less than 2 months left in DC!  Gotta get in while the getting's good.

• Like 2

was at Pineapple and Pearls a little over a week ago.  I sum it up in two words:  HOLY CRAP.  Honestly, I think the space, execution, and service are impeccable.  The distinguishing factor between this and other restaurants with high-end tasting menus is that P&P has a fun factor. In my mind, the cost is well worth it. Next time I will sit at the bar and forego all the alcohol- it was just too much for me.  But I loved sitting at the counter and watching the action for my first visit. My blog post has the rest of my impressions.

• Like 8

It just so happens that I prefer tasting menus to a la carte (under the right circumstances), so Pineapple and Pearls was right up my alley. I think it's the perfect place for anyone who has never done a tasting menu or has been intimidated by fine dining in the past. One evening here could possibly turn them onto these kinds of experiences going forward. It's that  awesome.

• Like 6

I've been meaning to write about our dinner for weeks -- we went on April 19th -- but I've finally gotten to it.  For the weeks between making the reservation and that night, I tried really hard to moderate my expectations, but this was the most excited I'd been about a meal in DC in ages. I'm relieved that I wasn't disappointed. 

My biggest complaint about the night was the early pacing of the meal.  We stood around drinking our cocktails for a few minutes before being led behind the curtain (literally) to our seats at the kitchen counter; not a big deal, but I'd probably have been a bit annoyed if I'd been wearing heels.  The snacks trickled out slowly, and we didn't receive a course more substantial than bite-sized until more than half an hour after we arrived, by which time we were starving.  (I'll chalk it up to newness and assume that the pacing will improve as they get more settled.) 

The room itself is beautiful; the bf commented that it's like what Kinship should be.  (Perhaps controversially, we don't like the Kinship dining room much.  It feels too monochromatic, kind of cold.  We much prefer Kinship's bar area.)  P&P has plenty of white, but pops of colors (like the mustard chairs) and texture (like the strings in a sort of 3D mural on the right wall), plus the view into the huge open kitchen, make it inviting.  I loved being able to watch what the chefs were doing only feet away, although our front-row seats didn't help my mounting hunger.  

The first real dish (after snacks) -- "Avocado and Osetra Caviar" -- was amazing: a perfectly balanced mix of salty roe with creamy avocado ice cream and creme fraiche, punctuated with bursts of finger lime.  

Next course: eggs two ways.  I really liked the beautiful parmesan-infused "Snap Pea & Spring Garlic Egg Drop" soup.  The egg-and-cheese broth, ladled over vibrant spring vegetables (including peas and nasturtium), had just enough chili spiciness to cut the richness, and an herby puree emphasized the dish's springiness.    Unfortunately, the "Blue Ribbon Coddled Egg" was the only real technical (and service) failure of the night.  Although the onion marmalade and morels on top were delicious (and would have paired well with the unctuousness of a runny yolk), our eggs were basically hard-boiled.  We ate the toppings and left most of the egg at the bottom.  (When a waiter came to clear these dishes, he asked which we'd preferred, and I said honestly that it had to be the soup because the other egg was overcooked.  He didn't react to that comment at all, nor seem to notice that we hadn't actually eaten the egg.)  

Loved the "Spanish Mackerel with Wild Ramps & Virginia Bluebell," and mackerel is definitely not one of my favorite fishes. I badly wanted bread (which we didn't yet have) to mop up very drop of the ramp vinegar and puree.  Visually beautiful, brightly oniony, nicely acidic from the vinegar, not too fishy -- just lovely.

"Toasted Rice Bread with White Miso Butter" arrived a course too late to savor the ramps, but I was still excited to see it.  (Years of excellent breads at Rose's have bred high expectations; no pun intended.)  The rice porridge brioche (as it was described) didn't taste noticeably porridgy, but it was predictably tasty, fluffy inside its nicely browned crust.  And the white miso honey butter was fantastic.  Visually evocative of curled shavings of tete de moine cheese, it was creamy and sweet and had just enough funk; we ate it all. 

The "White Asparagus Okonomiyaki" was one of the few dishes that I noticed (from overhearing descriptions to other diners) had meat removed (as opposed to just subbing a course), but I didn't miss the chicken.  White asparagus in a crispy crepe with dashi-soaked maitakes, bonito shavings, lime zest.  So salty in a good way.  (I could see some complaining, but I love salt, especially on crunchy carbs or mushrooms.)  Excellent haute drunk food. 

One of the desserts, the "Pecorino Cake with Basil Gelato," combined elements of pesto -- moist pecorino cake, cheese crisps, basil ice cream, pine nuts -- and (slightly macerated?) strawberries into one of the best desserts that I can remember.  Flawless.  The chocolate souffle was well executed if not unusual; loved the "Crispy Buckwheat & Honeycomb Ice Cream" that accompanied it -- the roasted buckwheat groats' savoriness tempered the honeyed sweetness.

I see Pineapple and Pearls becoming one of our favorite splurges in DC, especially if the menu changes frequently.  There has been a lot of debate about the price -- $250/person is going to cause sticker shock -- but considering that it's all-inclusive, it's a bit cheaper than Komi, a lot cheaper than minibar (whose inflated price at the new location combined with too much of the same old menu really galled me), and generally a good value (to the extent such a thing is possible at this cost) in terms of food and overall experience.  (Plus, prepaying allows for a certain charming seamlessness to ending the evening without the presentation of a check.)  We both opted for the wine pairing at my urging, but we'll definitely do one non-alcoholic pairing next time.  The wines were all good (and the pours so generous that we didn't end up finishing a number of glasses, which isn't our norm), but nothing stands out as a particularly unusual wine or an especially astounding pairing with the food, two features common to our favorite pairing experiences over the years.  (I realize that when the pairing is the only option, you've got to tailor it to please as many people as possible; I assume this pairing will satisfy most diners.)  In contrast, the non-alcoholic pairing sounded like it would include a number of very interesting drinks, and the hazelnut and pistachio nut milks that we tried in lieu of end-of-the-meal caffeine suggest that P&P will do them well.  Next time.  We'll be back, and probably pretty soon.

Full write-up of all dishes with photos: fromagophile.blogspot.com/2016/05/pineapple-and-pearls.html.

• Like 9

My wife surprised me with dinner here last night. Good lord. It's absolutely outstanding, and probably the best meal I've had in DC, top to bottom. I'll go over it a bit more later with the menu so I can better remember exactly what we had. Our meal was quite similar to jca76, with some differences (our caviar course had potato ice cream rather than avocado - and was incredible). 

We sat at the chef's table, facing the kitchen, which was very cool. Service is fantastic, in the was that Rose's has always been able to pull off. And while I was confused about the space, with the coffee shop in front and fine dining in the back, I think it works very well in practice. 

Just an incredible experience. 

• Like 7

On 5/21/2016 at 9:10 AM, jandres374 said:

We are headed here next Friday night with friends.  We have a later reservation (8:45).  Looking for suggestions on a place to meet up before hand and grab a drink.  Any suggestions?

We did Beuchert's Saloon, and I'd definitely recommend it. Barrel also does cocktails well. 

2 hours ago, danielahn31 said:

For the people that have went, would you rather eat at Roses and have more control or is Pineapple and Pearls worth the extra cost?

They're very different. But if I wanted a very special occasion experience I wouldn't think twice and would book Pineapple and Pearls.