Vapiano, A Germany-Based Italian Pizza Chain Comes To The DC Area

Curious, why do you feel the concept is clever?

Mediocre food aside, I do not like the concept, especially when you are with a group of people. Depending on which line one stands in, food is ready at staggered times. if you want to eat together, chances are someone(s) will be eating less than hot food.

How can such mediocrity be catching on in this economy?

Only PassionFish stands out in the Town Center, amid chain after loathsome chain....

Agreed here also. Seems like a pretty clear correlation between developed 'town centre' concepts and largely mediocre, cattle-car restaurants. And, of course that's not too surprising given the economics/rents with these places. That said, I think Pitango deserves a nod alongside PassionFish for RTC.

The Ballston location closed on June 30, 2015, via ArlNow.

Along with Pizzeria Vinoteca, that's two pizzerias that closed on the Wilson Boulevard - Glebe Road corridor within a couple months of each other. I don't think this makes a pattern, but I've noticed. Pupatella has nothing to worry about, and Willow's very good flatbreads should continue to be happy-hour favorites; but Il Forno?

I'd be interested in hearing theories about *why* these two pizzerias shut down, whereas others haven't. It could be internal accounting issues, of course, but could it be something sociological?

Along with Pizzeria Vinoteca, that's two pizzerias that closed on the Wilson Boulevard - Glebe Road corridor within a couple months of each other. I don't think this makes a pattern, but I've noticed. Pupatella has nothing to worry about, and Willow's very good flatbreads should continue to be happy-hour favorites; but Il Forno?

I'd be interested in hearing theories about *why* these two pizzerias shut down, whereas others haven't. It could be internal accounting issues, of course, but could it be something sociological?

Aside from the fact that Vapiano sucks (at least the Bethesda location).  Service is slow, the management didn't care, the concept doesn't allow a group to actually eat together.  You need to fight for seats.  Have I made it clear that I think the chain sucks?

I've not had great experiences going to Vapiano's to try to have a meal (which I know is sort of the point...) but it works really well for group happy hours.  There tends to be plenty of space, they have decent drink specials, you can all split a pizza for a decent snack, and most importantly - no splitting of the check because everyone has their own cards.  The 18th St location has outdoor seating in the summer, albeit surrounded by an office building.

The Chinatown location gets a bit... clubby later in the evening - particularly after an event at the Verizon Center.  Last time I was there they had police stationed at the door, and they ended up being needed.

I used to like Vapiano's Ballston for their pizza and their happy hour wine prices.  However, I went about a year ago and had a really bad pizza.  I never went back.  Too many other reliable pizza places around; no need for me to retry one that gave me a bad experience.  I'll cry all the way to Bronx Pizza, Piola's, or Wiseguys...or of course, Pupatella's.

We were at the RTC branch a few months ago and had a similar experience with the low quality pizza. Still think the salads and pastas are decent, but Bartaco is taking some of their business as the new kid on the block. 

I live about a block away and went maybe 1-2 times in the life of the place.  I just didn't like the food.  I liked Vinoteca better, it just didn't stay open for very long.  There is a lot of pizza in the area.  I am surprised it stayed open so long given the quality of the food, but Rock Bottom is still open so what does that say...

Aside from the fact that Vapiano sucks (at least the Bethesda location).  Service is slow, the management didn't care, the concept doesn't allow a group to actually eat together.  You need to fight for seats.  Have I made it clear that I think the chain sucks?

Tell us how you really feel. Haha! Glad I never bothered trying it.

• Like 1