DonRocks

Does The 2nd Amendment Provide Absolute Protection To Gun Owners?

Oh man.  6 weeks following the mass murder of 12 innocent people the Virginia legislature abruptly cancelled an emergency session called by the governor to specifically deal with gun legislation.  Both the upper and lower houses have narrow GOP majorities.  Very narrow.  The abrupt cancellation stunned Dems and the Governor. 

There were supporters of both sides of the debate in Richmond.  Gun supporters were carrying.   The cancellation of the emergency session, after about 90 minutes really didn't give supporters time to raise their voices.

Come this November there will be another state wide election.  In the last election Dems picked up 15 seats, narrowing the vote in both houses, but there remain narrow GOP majorities in both houses.  Again the cancellation was a surprise to both the Governor and the Dems.

It is really the time to get out the vote and change the composition of the state legislature

• Like 1

I don’t mind 20+ Democrats all feeling that they are Presidential material & all of us tuning in to find out which we might think are correct.  What I mind is the way too little attention given, by the party & the media, to turning the Senate & the state legislatures.  Right now, we could really use the focus that was given to Beto’s Senate run in Texas, etc in order to make sure that states like Virginia don’t remain problematic on major issues like this one.

1 minute ago, Steve R. said:

What I mind is the way too little attention given, by the party & the media, to turning the Senate & the state legislatures.  

Well, you can forget about "the media" - all the major news organizations cater to the lowest-common denominator. 

Have you seen ABC's World News Tonight in the past year? Here's their format:

1. A storm is making its way across the nation.
2. President Trump did something again.
3. There was a high-speed police chase.

and at the end:

4. A disabled child is surprised by his father on military leave.

It's the same, damned thing, night-in, and night-out. 

• Like 1

Yeah, but that’s the National news.  The party needs to sink major resources into state & local races.  I would think that local news media would see this as a money maker and glom onto it, knowing that people like soap operas especially when they know the local “stars”.  Abrams’ race in Georgia, Beto’s in Texas, the Fla. Governor and Senate races — all got lots of media coverage.  From what I can see right now, all eyes are on the current Democrat Presidential clown car and not these other key places.  Shouldn’t Beto have made a run for the other Texas Senate seat, etc?

On 3/24/2018 at 8:49 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Best Signs from the March - I hope momentum increases and pressure follows....I do not think it will happen, but would love to be proven wrong on this topic.

---

[NB - I hope people click on the above "Best Signs" link. Cheers, Rocks (I'll delete my invasive comment in a couple of days)]

So it has been 18 months since this post...what has changed?

It does seem to take energy, devotion, and money to get the results one wants.  Money is a big issue.

I looked at the last election in Va from this past June.  I voted.  It was a "small election".  In Arlington, per this article, there are about 150,000 folks registered to vote  In the 2018 election about 71% or a little over 100,000 voted.  That also means about 50,000 didn't vote.  A big total who if motivated could have made a significant difference.

In the 2019 primary in June in Arlington these were the results:

Commonwealth Attorney : 26,200 total votes: 

Primary for member Va Senate:  A total of 20,000 votes

Member House of Delegates:  6600 votes  (must have been for a different part of the County as not on my ballot.  Source for the Above

I didn't know much about the candidates or issues but I researched somewhat and voted.  Of the 2 county wide elections they received 17 and 13% of the total electorate respectively.  Pretty pitiful.  Of course going back to 2018 that 71% was a record for a non presidential election.  (pretty good).

Of note with regard to the Commonwealth Attorney election George Soros' organization invested rather heavily into the election.  His group evidently invested heavily in elections of this sort around the nation.  It was very heavy--effectively a lot of $ per vote for his preferred candidate.  The winner's campaign outspent the loser's by a mega amount.

Now I haven't been involved in party partisan politics for decades.  (I take it there are or were members here who have been involved).  Decades ago I raised money for a friend and was involved with an old friend who was elected to Congress.  Some of what transpired afterwards disappointed me and I stopped being involved.

In any case the Soros backed candidate won by a relatively small amount of votes in a campaign that didn't have critical issues (as far as I was concerned) but was in an election that garnered the most votes and she won.  In any case there was a mammoth $900,000 raised for this campaign with Tafti raising in excess of $700,00 per this article

I still frankly don't understand the criticalness of the issue from the Soros stance, but what is obvious is that money is a big deal. 

Now back in the 1980's I guess I raised a "bit" of money, though I have no recollection of how much it was.  Again, money is a big deal.

I agree with @Steve R. that locals need to get enthused and earnest and raise a lot of money and have the bodies to register voters and vote for your candidates.  You do that on a local basis across the country and on a local basis gun supporters will lose.   And that would be a good thing IMHO.