Great American Beer Festival

DanielK

Any Rockwellians going to the GABF this year?

My brother, who lives in the Denver area, had been bugging me to go for years. I figured it was like the better festivals here - long lines, limited access to decent beers, way overpriced.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Yes, there are a ton of people, and the lines to get in the building are long. And the tickets sell incredibly fast - sells out every year within minutes. My brother is a homebrew association member, so we go to the member session, which is $65. (It's $80 for the public sessions).

But once you are in the door, there are long lines only for the most popular dozen beers or so; the other THOUSANDS of beers can be had with either no wait, or just a minute or two. And, while real ales are limited since they can't really bring in that kind of equipment, there is an astounding array of spectacular beers available in the bottle, can, or keg.

Now I go for a quick weekend every year. The +1 goes with me and does a spa day with my brother's wife, while my brother and I drink ourselves into oblivion.

Anyway, highly recommended for the beer geeks. And if you're going this year, or any other year, drop me a line, and we can raise a glass together!

• Like 1

I have not been to GABF, perhaps someday.  Locally, we have some of the best beer events in the country.  Another headliner Brewer's Association event, Savor, which matches beer to food was at the building museum in June.  Also Snallygaster is this weekend at the Yards.  Snally is a pretty cool event because everything is a la carte, and I think may have a better/more obscure beer list than Savor.

Snallygaster does seem interesting, but I can't go this weekend. But the a la carte is a detractor to me, and outdoors for an event like this is a HUGE detractor.

I've considered Savor once or twice, but it's outrageously expensive, and I heard the lines were so long it was hard to get your fill.

I have been to Savor 3 times.  This last time was a bit of a let down.  The food never lives up to the hype.  I have never had issue having as much of the beer that I wanted.  The price is expensive, but I think it is fair.  the a la carte is nice, because you can drink as much or as little as you want and not feel guilty (e.g., I paid $150, so I need to get plastered!)  Last year it poured for most of the day and was pretty miserable, but the beer was fantastic.