Jinya Ramen Bar, A California Ramen Chain in Several Area Locations

Mosaic District is Pokémon central for Doduos.  After a glass of wine at B Side, I had some tempura sprouts and a bowl of Cha Cha Cha at Jinya Ramen.  My sprouts arrived immediately (and the bartender sheepishly told me that they were prepared in large batches - just like Mickey D's with their fries!).  They were crispy, not too greasy, but there was no tempura dipping sauce.  I made my own sauce with soy and chili paste, which made the otherwise bland dish palatable.  The ramen was actually pretty good.  I think the broth was flavorful without being overly rich.  The egg, with its soft liquidly yolk, was actually cold in the middle (presumably it was taken from the refrigerator). 

I don't eat ramen very often but this stands out as better than the other options that I've tried recently (Tampopo, Kizuna, Yona, Daikaya). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Mosaic District is Pokémon central for Doduos.  After a glass of wine at B Side, I had some tempura sprouts and a bowl of Cha Cha Cha at Jinya Ramen.  My sprouts arrived immediately (and the bartender sheepishly told me that they were prepared in large batches - just like Mickey D's with their fries!).  They were crispy, not too greasy, but there was no tempura dipping sauce.  I made my own sauce with soy and chili paste, which made the otherwise bland dish palatable.  The ramen was actually pretty good.  I think the broth was flavorful without being overly rich.  The egg, with its soft liquidly yolk, was actually cold in the middle (presumably it was taken from the refrigerator). 

I don't eat ramen very often but this stands out as better than the other options that I've tried recently (Tampopo, Kizuna, Yona, Daikaya). 

There is an outpost of Jinya in Houston that has gotten some reasonably good reviews.  With this report added to the mix, I'll definitely have to check it out soon.

Last Sunday, my wife and I popped in for a bite after a movie. Surprisingly, the quoted wait time was about 15 minutes, but we ended up sitting at at the bar when seats opened up. 

Based upon reviews here and elsewhere, my expectations were not overly high. That said, while the ramen is certainly different than Toki and Daikaya, it was delicious. I've found the Toki version to be incredibly rich, highly seasoned, and delicious. Daikaya's ramen was not as rich, but it was well-seasoned and delicious as well. 

I ordered the Jinya #1, which is a spicy chicken ramen. The broth was not as "full-bodied" as other ramens I've enjoyed, but that's not a criticism. The seasoning was just about perfect, and while I enjoy spicy food, the heat was subtle. My wife ordered a chicken ramen and added brussels sprouts and a poached egg. The sprouts were a standout--nicely roasted and slightly smoky. 

I'd certainly go back and explore more of the menu.

Loved the broths, "flavorful with being overly rich" written above is the right description for both the traditional and chicken.  Noodles (we got thin) were disappointing though.  No real bite, possibly overcooked even when we first got them.  Not worth a special trip, but totally fine if you're already in the area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

Loved the broths, "flavorful with being overly rich" written above is the right description for both the traditional and chicken.  Noodles (we got thin) were disappointing though.  No real bite, possibly overcooked even when we first got them.  Not worth a special trip, but totally fine if you're already in the area.

I had the Tonkatsu Black broth, which was not bad. On the fattier side of the spectrum, and flavorsome enough to clean up the bowl. The noodles unfortunately were the weak link. I had the thick noodles, which were the same general form as normal ramen noodles, but critically overcooked to the point of Qlessness. Adequate and easily satisfied my ramen craving but, as silentbob said, not worth a trip. And I'd definitely pass on the formless, spongy and salty pork buns. 

I think the quality control has moved on and this place is running on the ignorance of its customers.  Everything appears to be prepared according to recipe without anyone knowledgeable tasting the end product.  Overcooked noodles is common.  Overly salty broth is another common issue.  Food precooked in batches and brought out as soon as you ordered indicates they want you out of there ASAP.  No way this can be a thriving business if the customers have higher standards.

We're regular take out customers at the Mosaic District location. I appreciate the care with which they package their product to go: separate containers for broth and accoutrements. The seasoned egg retains a gooey center, showing care in preparation, which they've also packaged separately for us. I've always liked the broth and noodles (ample portions of both), just the right amount of seasonings and spice level, and never noticed the broth was too salty or noodles were overcooked, tho I also don't claim to have high standards! It's certainly the best ramen we've found in the area (or at least better compared to Ramen Factory 42) and we've seemed to have made the switch from Pho to Ramen in terms of soup preference...

Upon finding our Ren's was not open until 5, had a mid-afternoon lunch/dinner at the Pike and Rose location.  Hard to find tucked into the corner, but surprisingly full (no wait, but not really any open tables either).  Thick noodles were great, thin were meh.  Seaweed salad was a surprising star.  The Tonkatsu black was fine and came with a full egg, but I was shocked to discover the (don't remember the name of the dish) one with half chicken half pork broth was excellent, more flavorful than the pure pork broth.  Gyoza were on point.

• Like 1