Sign in to follow this  
DonRocks

Bryce Harper (1992-), Washington Nationals Right-Fielder (2012 - 2018), Precocious Baseball Superstar, 2015 NL MVP, and Now on the Philadelphia Phillies

On May 9, 2016 at 6:08 PM, DonRocks said:

Bryce Harper hasn't had an official at-bat in his last 12 plate appearances.

Really.

12. BB
11. BB
10. SF
9. BB
8. IBB
7. BB
6. BB
5. IBB
4. HBP
3. BB
2. IBB
1. IBB

That's 0-for-0, with 1 RBI, and an OBP of .917

"Bryce Harper's Controversial, Frustrating, Record-Setting Day Versus The Cubs" by Chris Chase on foxsports.com

At the game on Tuesday I remarked to my brother that Murphy's average was a full .150 higher than Bryce, yet their OBP and OPS were within a couple of percentage points (both outstanding).  A walk is as good as a hit!  We'll see if the switch to Murphy hitting behind him will get him some more official at bats.

13 hours ago, TedE said:

At the game on Tuesday I remarked to my brother that Murphy's average was a full .150 higher than Bryce, yet their OBP and OPS were within a couple of percentage points (both outstanding).  A walk is as good as a hit!  We'll see if the switch to Murphy hitting behind him will get him some more official at bats.

After today, Bryce Harper's on-base percentage is up to a ridiculous .456. For those who've been following the Nats lately, a major story is that Harper is walking at a tremendous rate - on May 8th, Harper became the first player in MLB history to reach base *seven times* in one game without an at-bat - that is an unqualified record: It has never been done before.

As amazing as all this is (especially considering Harper's batting average is only .278), I want to reiterate that Ted Williams had a *career* on-base percentage of .482.

He walked 3 more times today (one intentionally), to lead the league with 40 total and 10 IBB. (Not playing the second game because he's serving his suspension.)

The season's only 10% over, but what a monster start for Bryce Harper. After 17 games:

BA .393
HR 7
RBIs 20
BBs 17
R 20
OBP .526
SLG .836
OPS 1.362 (!)

• Like 1

The first full games of spring training are imminent, and he still isn't in camp (NO COLLUSION!  NO COLLUSION!!).

The next labor battle is a-comin', and it won't be pretty.

On 1/9/2016 at 4:40 AM, DonRocks said:

Bryce "Ice" Harper enjoys a cone at Ice Cream Jubilee, jubilant, alongside owner, Victoria Lai, elated - I love this picture!

post-2-0-78913100-1452333625_thumb.png

Aww, I never saw this! I had a few meetings with Victoria Lai when she worked for my agency (before her foray into ice cream). I think that means I'm only one degree separated from Bryce Harper!!

Adios Bryce.  It was nice knowing you....though it appears we will be seeing a lot of you in the future   ....as a Philly

Not only will the Nats be better off without him in the long run (though not having him will hurt their chances this year), there are at least 5 or 10 players who are better and will be hitting free agency in 2020, 2021, and 2022.  In other words, they're better off spending the $300M offered to Harper on someone else.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Are we factoring in how often he's injured? Isn't 2015 the only year he hasn't suffered a significant injury?

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

But what hairstyle will all the young boys wear now... 

Soto seems to wear his as kind of a buzz cut.

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

Not only will the Nats be better off without him in the long run (though not having him will hurt their chances this year), there are at least 5 or 10 players who are better and will be hitting free agency in 2020, 2021, and 2022.  In other words, they're better off spending the $300M offered to Harper on someone else.

heh!!   Spoken like a GM with a background in salary cap analysis.   (I write that with admiration!!!)

Bryce need to take a lesson from Alex Ovechkin and take the long view.  Folks were willing to call Ovechkin over the hill and ready to be traded.  He reinvented himself and won a Stanley Cup.  Not the highest paid player but the best and arguably enjoys every minute he plays.  Goodbye and goodnight Bryce.

Harper has already boosted ticket sales in Philadelphia. I wonder what will happen here? He was a draw, that's for sure.

I prefer us to have a team mentality, as in St. Louis, if I can get across my point. Mentality is not quite the word.  Ethos? It would be fitting since we are a city known to be made of people passing through as well as a lot more natives than the rest of the country realizes! The passing through aspect sort of captures what I mean about the kind of team I hope we will be moving forward post-Harper. Our stability could come from overlooked names, not the brightest stars. The Houston Astros of the 80s were such a team. The country probably couldn't name the players other than stars like Nolan Ryan but the team was very solid!

The Cardinals have had stars for sure but you always were seeing new players. The team and the city meant more than the celebrities. (I mean post Gibson and Brock, Cepeda, and the lot). The players were interchangeable parts, in a way. With a star like Harper gone maybe the Nationals will be more like St. Louis. I am sure that around the country if you brought up the subject of DC baseball it's Harper who would come to mind, more than the team itself. If we can succeed with THIS group of players sans Harper the city might fall in love! It was something like that in 2012.

3 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

Harper has already boosted ticket sales in Philadelphia. I wonder what will happen here? He was a draw, that's for sure.

I prefer us to have a team mentality, as in St. Louis, if I can get across my point. Mentality is not quite the word.  Ethos? It would be fitting since we are a city known to be made of people passing through as well as a lot more natives than the rest of the country realizes! The passing through aspect sort of captures what I mean about the kind of team I hope we will be moving forward post-Harper. Our stability could come from overlooked names, not the brightest stars. The Houston Astros of the 80s were such a team. The country probably couldn't name the players other than stars like Nolan Ryan but the team was very solid!

The Cardinals have had stars for sure but you always were seeing new players. The team and the city meant more than the celebrities. (I mean post Gibson and Brock, Cepeda, and the lot). The players were interchangeable parts, in a way. With a star like Harper gone maybe the Nationals will be more like St. Louis. I am sure that around the country if you brought up the subject of DC baseball it's Harper who would come to mind, more than the team itself. If we can succeed with THIS group of players sans Harper the city might fall in love! It was something like that in 2012.

To the extent that I follow the Nats closely I'll miss Harper.  To (mis)quote Reggie Jackson Harper was the straw that stirred the drink.  When he was hot he could carry the team.  He certainly was a feared batter accumulating a bucket load of walks.  His persona had a lot of energy.  His "greatness" was erratic, but other than Mike Trout, there are no other Mike Trouts.

Of course I'm not the owner, the GM, or the expert on salaries.  It's not my money.  That being said I would of paid the guy to keep him here.  

• Like 1

I will miss Harper too!

IF Trout signs with Philadelphia that'll be a potent lineup! I still wish he had signed out of division, or even out of league, but better Philadelphia than Atlanta or NY! YMMV!

Sun Ra quote on Philadelphia (ha!)

"To save the planet, I had to go to the worst spot on Earth, and that was Philadelphia, which is death's headquarters."

It will be interesting to see what happens to Harper for  publicly trying to recruit Trout to the Phillies. Nothing might have happened, but the Angels made a formal complaint to MLB, which may change things. The crazy thing is that, regardless of where Harper signed, the likelihood Trout would go to the Phillies when he became a free agent in 2020 was already pretty high. Harper didn't need to do this. It sounds as though his conversations with Trout during his own free agency helped persuade Harper to go to Philly, so this was a weird unforced error (i.e., Trout wasn't the one who needed to be persuaded.)

Presumably he was just inserting himself into Trout's situation to get attention. The way he's been talking, he sees himself as a LeBron-like character who is going to recruit all the best to play around him. (MLB does not need to become more like the NBA, in my opinion.)

Last year MLB reprimanded Aaron Judge for commenting that Manny Machado would look good in pinstripes, which got me to look up news from the time to see if the Orioles complained. It looks like they didn't, just that it was so blatant it went right to MLB's attention. I had completely forgotten about Harper trying to recruit Giancarlo Stantion to the Nats back before Stanton signed an extension with the Marlins. MLB didn't punish him for that. Regardless of his behavior, over the past 7 years, MLB has seemed reluctant to punish Harper.

Because there was a complaint of tampering filed by Trout's team, I think Harper will get at least a formal reprimand this time. A fine doesn't seem likely, maybe a small one.

Trout will not be joining Harper in Philly. His 12 year $430m extension with the Angels will be the largest contract in pro sports history. Here and all over the internet.