K.J. Wright Bats Ball Out of End Zone in the Oct 5, 2015 Seattle Seahawks - Detroit Lions NFL Game

NiceDocter

There is absolutely no question that K.J. Wright intentionally batted the ball out of the end zone. I can't find it now, but last night I saw an exquisitely clear film (slightly tinted blue), looping over-and-over, with the back judge right on top of the play, and he flat-out missed the call. Also, there's this:

"K.J. Wright Admits To Intentionally Batting Ball Out Of End Zone" by Sean Wagner-McGough on cbssports.com

You raise an interesting point about "Why shouldn't a player be allowed to bat a ball out of bounds?", but my guess is that the "end zone" in football is unlike any other area in any other major sport, so this particular area has special rules (if you think about it, this isn't all that different than the goaltending rule in basketball, where swatting the ball away is an easy way to prevent your opponent from scoring).

My understanding is that neither side can bat the ball out intentionally anywhere on the field, not just the end zone. Maybe I can see if its the offense, but defense? Anyhow, the ref on site missed the call but they covered for him and said "he thought it was by accident"!  Hahaha he didnt know the rule any more than we did! Had that deer in the headlights look on his face! And so why didnt they reverse it?  My theory is that batting the ball intentionally involves a penalty..... no flag was thrown, so there was no penalty and nothing that was reviewable!  You cant go back on a video tape and call a penalty like holding or pass interference if no flag was thown, so the ref blew it and they had to cover his butt.   Still a stupid rule if you ask me..........

• Like 1