College Professors - Please Stand Up and Take a Bow

DonRocks

There are numerous College Professors among us, and I'd love for them to come forth and identify themselves here in this thread so that we may show our respects to you.

I've always wished that everyone on this website can know people the way I do, and think it's a crying shame that they can't, but privacy must take precedence.

Maybe threads like this will bring people out of the woodwork, and as long as we're discussing colleges, Go Tigers!

Secondary-school educators, I haven't forgotten about you - you're coming soon.

I would love to have enough members come forward so that we could have a Services Directory people could use - maybe that's just one of many dreams I have, and maybe since it's 4:05 AM, I should go to bed and try and get some sleep.

But before I do, I'd like ti say thank you to all our educators, military personnel, officers, firemen, National Guard, physicians who service the underprivileged, attorneys who represent the underprivileged ... it would be wonderful if we could get 100 names; until then, please don't forget about our Professionals and Businesses forum - I know it's work writing this stuff, and it may seem risky signing your name, but the quality of posts in that forum is ridiculous, and i don't want to change it.

Does your sibling, parent, child, spouse, or best friend merit an entry for the work that he or she does? Tell us about it. This is *national* in scope, and should come up on page one of Google searches, so it will translate directly into dollars in their pockets. You don't even need to tell them you wrote it - they'll find you, and thank you for having written it. It has happened to me several times, and I feel wonderful when it does because I meant every word I wrote, and it's *so* hard to find good, honest help these days - more difficult than ever.

Associate Professor, Marketing, Fisher College of Business, THE Ohio State University.

This is my 25th year in this job (well, the untenured version and the tenured version). I am retiring at the end of the 2016/2017 academic year. It's been a good run, but I am just burned out on the teaching front. For everyone out there who has a romantic notion about the fulfilling joys of shaping young minds, know there is another side...the crushing boredom of repeating the same material to huge classes every term (7 weeks, for many classes) , administrators who care more about money than education, rules and regulations that suck the life out of anyone with creative ideas, the constant pursuit of donors, and the offspring of helicopter parents who need to be told, in excruciating detail, how to do even the most basic things. I teach mostly seniors, and they don't respect the faculty nor do they respect each other. There are delightful exceptions, of course, but much of what we do is designed to maintain AACSB accreditation and show better in the rankings, whether it enhances the educational experience, or not. Sorry to air my cynicism In a forum that Don designed as a place to show respect!

• Like 2

It's been a good run, but I am just burned out on the teaching front. For everyone out there who has a romantic notion about the fulfilling joys of shaping young minds, know there is another side...the crushing boredom of repeating the same material to huge classes every term (7 weeks, for many classes)

Watch the first four minutes of this video.

• Like 1

And as I sit here preparing for class in 30 minutes, we are under a threat posted on an internet site referencing a "15th hour" shooting to occur here on campus. Seriously, we have been threatened for 3:00, right smack in the middle of my scheduled class. The University has not closed any buildings or cancelled any classes or events, but students are freaking out. I am getting too old for this crap. With everything that's happened at Virginia Tech, I can't blame students for being fearful. But I am angry that any campus is probably no longer a reliably safe place.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2015 at 3:53 PM, dcandohio said:

Associate Professor, Marketing, Fisher College of Business, THE Ohio State University.

This is my 25th year in this job (well, the untenured version and the tenured version). I am retiring at the end of the 2016/2017 academic year. It's been a good run, but I am just burned out on the teaching front. For everyone out there who has a romantic notion about the fulfilling joys of shaping young minds, know there is another side...the crushing boredom of repeating the same material to huge classes every term (7 weeks, for many classes) , administrators who care more about money than education, rules and regulations that suck the life out of anyone with creative ideas, the constant pursuit of donors, and the offspring of helicopter parents who need to be told, in excruciating detail, how to do even the most basic things. I teach mostly seniors, and they don't respect the faculty nor do they respect each other. There are delightful exceptions, of course, but much of what we do is designed to maintain AACSB accreditation and show better in the rankings, whether it enhances the educational experience, or not. Sorry to air my cynicism In a forum that Don designed as a place to show respect!

Having been in the business world for that many years and more, those friggin students should take it seriously .... ah but repeating yourself for all that many years must get tiresome.

• Like 1

And as I sit here preparing for class in 30 minutes, we are under a threat posted on an internet site referencing a "15th hour" shooting to occur here on campus. Seriously, we have been threatened for 3:00, right smack in the middle of my scheduled class. The University has not closed any buildings or cancelled any classes or events, but students are freaking out. I am getting too old for this crap. With everything that's happened at Virginia Tech, I can't blame students for being fearful. But I am angry that any campus is probably no longer a reliably safe place.

ah, shit. As it happens, I'm in business with the Virginia Tech Volunteers Foundation - founded of parents of victims of VaTech. We've got some cool efforts going on - check out www.32nsci.org . Again, FULL DISCLOSURE - I have a business association with this organization.

• Like 1