Restaurant Week - Winter 2007

crackers

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have the link to the RW website for 1/2007? To get a list of parcitipating restaurants? It'll be here before we know it with the holiday approaching!
Typically the list can be found here: www.washington.org or on Open Table.

My favorite week of the year to eat at home...

What do you recommend between:

Asia Nora

Kinkead's

Oceanaire

Oya

Palette

Taberna del Alabardero

We're trying to go to a $$$ if possible to get our money's worth since we can only go out to a nice restaurant every so often. And we're trying to do somewhere new.

Any other suggestions? In the past for RW I've done Butterfield 9, Corduroy, Tabard Inn (lunch), DC Coast (lunch), Acadiana and Notti Bianche.

Not tied to the above options, but they were a jumping off point. Also entertaining Vidalia with a different group (since one friend is already going there with her boyfriend that week).

Thanks!

Foodie,

I've been to 4 of your 6 (not Asia N. or Oya), and I think the one that takes RW most seriously is T del A. I think the best word for that restaurant is "professional." I would also call Fogo de Chão to your attention -- an unbelievably tasty and sumptuous meal. Don't forget the sangría!

Not to be contrary, but Fogo de Chão?!?

New Foodie please go back and spend your hard earned Restaurant Week dollars at Corduroy, Acadiana or Notti Bianche again (or Dino, or Circle Bistro, or Restaurant Kolumbia, or Rasika, or Café Atlantico!!) before you try this rapid fire meat on a stick…

Not to be contrary, but Fogo de Chão?!?

New Foodie please go back and spend your hard earned Restaurant Week dollars at Corduroy, Acadiana or Notti Bianche again (or Dino, or Circle Bistro, or Restaurant Kolumbia, or Rasika, or Café Atlantico!!) before you try this rapid fire meat on a stick…

At all the restaurants you mention, you can get dinner for around $30. So what you're really getting for $30.06 is free dessert. Fogo is an "all you can eat" restaurant. You could do some serious damage there. <not trying to be contrary>

At all the restaurants you mention, you can get dinner for around $30. So what you're really getting for $30.06 is free dessert. Fogo is an "all you can eat" restaurant. You could do some serious damage there. <not trying to be contrary>

I would take a free dessert at any of those places over "serious damage" at Fogo anyday.

Thats just me, to each his own.

Fogo only had the restaurant week special at lunch last time. I don't know what their normal lunch price is.

In reference to Taberna del Alabardero's RW performance, my one attempt there was not at all impressive. Few choices, uninventively prepared, with disappointing service, and follow-up tales from subsequent RWs have not changed my initial perception. However, I 've heard that the regular service and food are rather extraordinary (which is why I wanted to try it in the first place), and that you can do well to eat tapas at their bar-ish area, especially (price-wise) during the happiest of hours.

In reference to Taberna del Alabardero's RW performance, my one attempt there was not at all impressive.

I have to completely agree. I love TdA, especially for happy hour, but when I went during RW, none of the items on their RW menu were on their regular menu (I think). And, I should mention the dishes I tasted during RW were poorly executed, yet every other time I've gone (non-RW times) the dishes were excellent.

The service I received, on the otherhand, was (and still is, everytime I go) spectacular.

If you want to try TdA, if you can afford it, I would try going there during non-RW, or if you can't afford it, try the happy hour (and the sangria).

I have to completely agree. I love TdA, especially for happy hour, but when I went during RW, none of the items on their RW menu were on their regular menu (I think). And, I should mention the dishes I tasted during RW were poorly executed, yet every other time I've gone (non-RW times) the dishes were excellent.

The service I received, on the otherhand, was (and still is, everytime I go) spectacular.

If you want to try TdA, if you can afford it, I would try going there during non-RW, or if you can't afford it, try the happy hour (and the sangria).

Same here. Generally love Taberna, but thought the choices were terrible (ended up ordering off of regular menu anyway, which is very good). Do restaurants generally post RW menus ahead of time?

Asia Nora

Kinkead's

Oceanaire

Oya

Palette

Taberna del Alabardero

We're trying to go to a $$$ if possible to get our money's worth since we can only go out to a nice restaurant every so often. And we're trying to do somewhere new.

Any other suggestions? In the past for RW I've done Butterfield 9, Corduroy, Tabard Inn (lunch), DC Coast (lunch), Acadiana and Notti Bianche.

Not tied to the above options, but they were a jumping off point. Also entertaining Vidalia with a different group (since one friend is already going there with her boyfriend that week).

Thanks!

asia nora is not participating this year

some successes for me in the past have been at Tosca, 1789, Ceiba, and restaurant kolumbia

i would seriously recommend these

this year i am going for cordoroy, ceiba, and ps 7

Asia Nora

Kinkead's

Oceanaire

Oya

Palette

Taberna del Alabardero

Thanks!

I agree with the other posters... Avoid Taberna del Alabardero (during RW) at ALL costs!!! I went there last January and the RW items were terrible. I was with 2 other people and they both got different things for each course and we all hated everything except maybe one thing that was a RW offering. I ordered from the regular menu (It was Friday and I just I couldn't stomach 3 more courses of anybody's food) and it was fabulous. Steak tips in some kind of mushroom sauce. We all LOVED it!! But it was clear that for RW, they just threw together whatever was in the fridge and about to expire and then served it to the people looking for bargins. The service was great and they even exchanges 4 out of the 6 courses that my friends had. But every single thing we had was all terrible. That was when I developed my RW rules (see below).

I would do weither Kinkead's or Oceanaire. Both have really good foor and offer RW courses from the regular menu. THAT is the key!! I never do RW at restaurants that create special menus for the week. It's not a good representation of what the food from the restaurant is like and the portions are usually much smaller. It usually us NOT worth even the RW price. So if you still can't make a final decision, then call the restaurants and ask which ones 1) are offering items that are on the regular menu and 2) are offering more than 2 or 3 choices for each course.

Happy eating!!!!

Same here. Generally love Taberna, but thought the choices were terrible (ended up ordering off of regular menu anyway, which is very good). Do restaurants generally post RW menus ahead of time?

Yes, they usually do. It is usually on their website.

OR our hard-working Rockwellian Jason (of www.dcfoodies.com fame) does a pretty good job of posting on his site whether a place is offering their full menu or a limited one and he will mention whether the RW menu is posted on their website.

D'Acqua will be doing Restaurant Week for lunch and dinner, hope to post the menus shortly (the full menu is posted in the D'Acqua thread.)

801 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Reservations: 202.783.7717

Danielle

Danielle Piacente, on behalf of D'Acqua

Publicist

Linda Roth Associates, LLC

Anyone doing RW lunch downtown next week, that has an open seat or wouldn't mind adding another guest, drop me a PM. Everyone from my office flinches at spending more than $10 on lunch, regardless of circumstance. Walkable to Farragut Square preferred, but will travel for food...

I have a reservation at Farrah Olivia for 2 people at 7pm on Saturday, Jan. 13. We now can't make it. Before I cancel the reservation, I was wondering if someone had a reservation for Wednesday, the 10th, (preferably) or any other weeknight that they wanted to trade. Please PM me.

Circle Bistro

Bistro Bis

Palette

Acadiana

The DR dinner at Circle Bistro made me want to repeat it. The others I have never been to. Hoping that I will not be disappointed. I told my husband we need to stick to the $30.05 and one glass of wine in order to be able to do all 4. We usually stray by adding an additional appetizer and a bottle of wine (plus sometimes an upcharge). I don't think we've ever gotten away with anything under $135 per dinner. We have no willpower.

Restaurant Kolumbia's RW menu is on the website www.restaurantkolumbia.com as is the new $9 lunch but please note that during RW we do not offer the $9 lunch at the bar, all in the interest of best servicing the train wreck oops I mean people on the train.

Dahlia has a big sign outside stating that they're participating, but a special menu wasn't posted. How are they doing in general? The menu sounded interesting, I suppose, but the prices put it out of reach for a casual meal. I'll be in NYC for most of RW so I can't try it out.

Good morning, and happy Restaurant Week! I'm a new member, and this is my first post, so hopefully I won't mess anything up.

I usually try to hit 3-4 places during RW, but due to an expensive trip this coming weekend, I've only got one reservation on the books. But it's at PS 7's, which I'm very excited to try--their RW menu is available here, in case anyone is interested.

I've done three or four rounds of RW, and so far the best experiences have been at Vidalia (my favorite restaurant in DC) and Acadiana/DC Coast. The selections were plentiful, the food was delicious, and the service was lovely. IndeBleu was so-so; they made up for their lack of options with superior execution, but the service was nothing to write home about. My least favorite RW visits were to Taberna del Alabardero (but the previous posters are correct that Taberna is excellent when it is NOT Restaurant Week) and Palette--very underwhelming.

Good luck, and have fun!

Notti Bianche Reservation is available on Opentable Wed 12/10 at 7:30pm for 4. I had to cancel (the menu is so small and not too friendly to fish, but not shellfish eating folks). I know people like this place, so go grab the res while it is still there.

As for me, this RW looks like Circle Bistro tonight and the Oval Room tomorrow.