Convivial, From the Owners of Mintwood Place - 8th and O Street in Shaw

2 hours ago, eatruneat said:

Chestnut & Foie Gras soup

Years ago, we did a Christmas eve at Vidalia. That was the first time I had chestnut soup. So good. I love chestnut soup now. Foie Gras also one of my favorite things. Together, I bet that was amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had arrived at Convivial early - way early - thinking that I'd be able to nab a seat at the bar at 5 PM, and have a drink while waiting for the restaurant to open at 5:30. Bad assumption: The bar op

Twas a few nights before Halloween.  Our prior visit to Convivial did not support the raves we had heard about Convivial.  Thus our hearts were filled with fright and trepidation.  But like Scooby Doo

Despite there being a rally today, we went into the city for dinner.  Gotta take advantage of warm winter days to eat outdoors! We started with escargot and tarte flambee.  For some reason the ki

Posted Images

13 hours ago, saf said:

Years ago, we did a Christmas eve at Vidalia. That was the first time I had chestnut soup. So good. I love chestnut soup now. Foie Gras also one of my favorite things. Together, I bet that was amazing. 

Tom Power used to put Foie Gras into his Chestnut Soup, but I'm not sure he does any longer (hey Tom, if you're reading this - is there any way to put in a special order for this)?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Tom Power used to put Foie Gras into his Chestnut Soup, but I'm not sure he does any longer (hey Tom, if you're reading this - is there any way to put in a special order for this)?

Jean-Louis Paladin used to make the richest chestnut soup with lots of pureed foie gras in it. Michel Richard also used this recipe. The most decadent soup I've ever had. I used to pair these soups with Tawny Port or Malmsey Madeira. 

• Like 4
On 3/23/2021 at 6:29 AM, zgast said:

God that looks good.  5 months on from my last restaurant meal (other than what can be delivered).

Got the bouillabaisse again this past Sunday for carryout, and it was just as good as it was dining in a week earlier. Wow, what a great dish this is: Throw in all the bread, go heavy on the rouille, mix it all together, and you'll have a great stew that's almost enough for two people (although both will be fighting over the one giant prawn-thing).

• Like 1

Went to eat outside with friends.  We got the three course menu. I started with the cauliflower, which was really good with beet, tahini, zatar, but just  ahuge portion and I ate too much.  I had bouillabaisse which was a really great dish, but I couldn't finish it because I had eaten too much cauliflower and dipped too much good bread in the broth.  For dessert I had a chocolate hazelnut layer cake.  It was too much food, so I took it home and enjoyed it the next day, it was still really good.    The patio was really nice, our waiter was funny and nice, wine was good, we had a really nice meal.

• Like 4