Petros, Petros Benekos' Greek-Californian Chain in Several Area Locations

My other really enjoyable meal in Southern California was at Petros in Manhattan Beach. I dined there with my boss and two colleagues (one a tremendously picky eater) late Wednesday night and thought it was quite a find. My client who lives in MB recommended the spot as he goes there often and knows the staff by name. We weren't disappointed.

After sampling warm bread with olives and complimentary garlicky white bean spread, I chose the lamb pasta for my entree and a Greek cheese plate. The lamb was described as slow cooked and indeed it had a lovely tender texture. Also in the dish: a long pasta slightly thicker than spaghetti, roasted peppers, broccolini, olives, kefalotyri cheese and oregano ($22). Having missed lunch, this was exactly what I needed to feel sated and happy.

The cheese plate was as salty as I had hoped. tongue.gif Seriously, I have never had a cheese plate focused on Mediterranean selections that wasn't salty. The plate featured Epirus Feta, kasseri, kefalograviera and kefalotyri plus two types of olives for $12. Everyone but the picky eater enjoyed sharing this.

My colleagues seemed to enjoy their meals across the board. Their selections ranged from Avgolemono (chicken and rice soup with lemon) which I definitely would have tasted had I been dining with friends. It looked delicious, to a whitefish entree, to lamb pasta to roasted chicken.

Although the night was cool, we dined outside on the very pleasant courtyard patio. Their powerful heat lamps did the trick and I wasn't cold at all. Our service was top-notch; our young server expertly described any dish we asked about and pronounced the Greek names with confidence.

While it's a relatively elegant restaurant, it's also family-friendly. My group laughed that we were the only gang lacking the seemingly requisite adorable baby.

Petros is a great spot.