Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson & Wales University (1989 - ) a Teaching Museum that Preserves and Interprets Culinary and Hospitality Heritage in Providence, RI - Closed to the Public

dracisk

I just came across the Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson & Wales University in the "Where Have All The Diners Gone?" article posted in the Greek-Italian Diners thread. Despite having grown up in RI and still visiting several times a year, I had never heard of this museum, but I thought others might be interested to check it out if they find themselves in the Ocean State. Also, I always love to promote anything RI-related. If I make it there myself I'll report back!

On 11/20/2015 at 2:36 PM, dracisk said:

I just came across the Culinary Arts Museum at Johnson & Wales University in the "Where Have All The Diners Gone?" article posted in the Greek-Italian Diners thread. Despite having grown up in RI and still visiting several times a year, I had never heard of this museum, but I thought others might be interested to check it out if they find themselves in the Ocean State. Also, I always love to promote anything RI-related. If I make it there myself I'll report back!

I love learning about the history of Culinary practices. This may certainly inspire a improptu road trip. I'd love suggestions  of where to stop along the way, or better yet just wander,and see where I land.

Will explore for food,

kat

On 12/8/2016 at 9:28 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I'd love suggestions  of where to stop along the way, or better yet just wander,and see where I land.

I'm only in RI a couple of times a year, and lately my food explorations have been hindered by a toddler. Last year I enjoyed Cook and Brown Public House on the East Side of Providence (near Brown University), and a couple of years ago I enjoyed Mill's Tavern, which I think is in what would be considered Downtown Providence (North Main Street). Julian's on Federal Hill in Providence is a funky place known for brunch, although I've only been there for dinner. Federal Hill (the Italian neighborhood of Providence) has tons of Italian restaurants, but I don't know which ones are good and which aren't. Al Forno (in Fox Point, Providence) is known for grilled pizza, which I think is a Rhode Island thing. I've been there but not in years, and I sadly haven't had the pizza.

Oberlin in Downtown Providence was recently named the seventh best new restaurant in America by Bon Appetit. I haven't been. I think it's currently a no reservations long waits situation.

If you don't mind a drive to the beach, Matunuck Oyster Bar (in East Matunuck, South Kingston) is very popular. They harvest oysters from a pond right next to the restaurant (among other nearby locations). I visited for the first time recently and enjoyed my oyster-heavy meal, including raw oysters (I'm very much a raw oyster neophyte, though) and oyster stew. They don't take reservations in the summer and crowds are insane, but they do take them in the winter. There are tons of clam shacks in that general vicinity, too (Aunt Carrie's, Iggy's, George's, Champlin's). You could have a classic shore dinner.

There's a Connecticut and Rhode Island thread that you might find helpful. If you do go exploring please report back!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dracisk said:

I'm only in RI a couple of times a year, and lately my food explorations have been hindered by a toddler. Last year I enjoyed Cook and Brown Public House on the East Side of Providence (near Brown University), and a couple of years ago I enjoyed Mill's Tavern, which I think is in what would be considered Downtown Providence (North Main Street). Julian's on Federal Hill in Providence is a funky place known for brunch, although I've only been there for dinner. Federal Hill (the Italian neighborhood of Providence) has tons of Italian restaurants, but I don't know which ones are good and which aren't. Al Forno (in Fox Point, Providence) is known for grilled pizza, which I think is a Rhode Island thing. I've been there but not in years, and I sadly haven't had the pizza.

Oberlin in Downtown Providence was recently named the seventh best new restaurant in America by Bon Appetit. I haven't been. I think it's currently a no reservations long waits situation.

If you don't mind a drive to the beach, Matunuck Oyster Bar (in East Matunuck, South Kingston) is very popular. They harvest oysters from a pond right next to the restaurant (among other nearby locations). I visited for the first time recently and enjoyed my oyster-heavy meal, including raw oysters (I'm very much a raw oyster neophyte, though) and oyster stew. They don't take reservations in the summer and crowds are insane, but they do take them in the winter. There are tons of clam shacks in that general vicinity, too (Aunt Carrie's, Iggy's, George's, Champlin's). You could have a classic shore dinner.

There's a Connecticut and Rhode Island thread that you might find helpful. If you do go exploring please report back!

omg. 

are you for hire?

I too am a bit if of a traditiionalist when it comes to the consumption of oysters. 

Thank you for your input. I will glad take your suggestions and report back on my delicious findings. 

kat,

consumate food voyeur 

• Like 1