Flying Dog Naughty (Belgian Dark Ale, 9.0% ABV) and Nice (Belgian Blonde Ale, 8.3% ABV), Flying Dog Brewery, Frederick, MD

pras

So it is no secret that I am in Flying Dog's Junto Society beer club, which means that I go there once a month and get to sample whatever they happen to have on tap at the moment, some of which never make it outside of the brewery tasting room.  Last night they showcased their Naughty (Belgian Dark Ale) and Nice (Belgian Blonde Ale).  Nice is a pretty solid "Belgian Strong Ale" clocking in 8.3% abv.  It is a pretty good representation of the style with the yeast front and center as the star.  It drinks very well, with the alcohol well hidden with a good amount of sweetness (but not too sweet).

Naughty is the really the star of the duo though.  It pours an almost mahogany color, and hits you in the face with a strong anise aroma and some smoke/roast from the dark malt used.  The initial taste is very similar to the aroma.  Once you get past the initial taste though this beer catches on fire with a really intense hot pepper heat that you can feel in the back of your throat.  I have never had a beer like this before.  I am not going to say it is good or bad, certainly an experience, and one I would try again, but you certainly can't power through a six-pack in one sitting (both because of the heat and the 9% abv).  I have a six pack and I am going to put it in the cellar to get some age on it.  I want to revisit it in about a year to see how it develops.

Matt Brophy, brewmaster at Flying Dog said that Naughty is kicking off their new "heat series" as the strongest in the series.  Look for 4 more heat beers from Flying Dog in 2016.