DonRocks

Takumi, Sushi Bistro on S. Washington Street in Downtown Falls Church - Chef Jay Yu Comes From Kaz Sushi Bistro

On 3/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

The 9 piece nigiri set was good, at $22 there wasn't anything exotic though.

This mirrors my recent experience.  We'll definitely order more adventurously next time.  The place was dead when we arrived for lunch at 12:30 but started filling up quickly after that.

On February 13, 2017,  I enjoyed the following 17-piece Sashimi Plate.  Fish selected and prepared by Jay Yu.

16707288_10210635501715556_2744276021413727749_o.jpg

• Like 2

I visited Takumi for the first time about a week ago, and I thought it was fantastic. We enjoyed a variety of nigiri and I loved it all. The fish fresh, tender and full of flavor. I will definitely go back.

38 minutes ago, DIShGo said:

I visited Takumi for the first time about a week ago, and I thought it was fantastic. We enjoyed a variety of nigiri and I loved it all. The fish fresh, tender and full of flavor. I will definitely go back.

More accurately, we told the server we'd each like a $60 sashimi/sushi omakase. This remains the second-best restaurant for sashimi and sushi in the area (with the distinct possibility of Sushi Taro being an exception), after the Sushi Bar at Sushi Ogawa.

Takumi is more "Kaz-like" than Ogawa - if you're familiar with DC sushi, you'll know what I mean.

• Like 1

I had a fantastic meal there this past Saturday night.  I've been here around 5 times, and almost every time I've left the restaurant with a sensation of giddiness / extreme satisfaction that I've only really felt with sushi (maybe this is just the sensation of excellent food minus excessive fullness or drunkenness but I digress...).  If Mercury poisoning wasn't a thing I'd probably eat here multiple times a week.  Anyway I got my usual order of the Sushi fresh cuts of the day for $40 - one thing I did not realize is that at lunch they'll bring you out a small salad and miso soup with this order while at dinner this is not included - not a complaint, just an FYI. 

IMG_5419.JPG.5e0fc1df03d94f96d3a797405826cb51.JPG

*Apologies for the giant image size.

From left to right / top to bottom as best as I can remember : Branzino with a hint of lime, Artic Char (I think the topping was a small bit of Japanese mustard), white fish I can't quite recall, lean tuna, Japanese yellowtail with uni, Monkfish liver (I think with a bit of yuzu jelly),  other white fish I can't recall, fatty tuna, I think some time of jack fish, torhced salmon belly, and then 3 fatty tuna rolls, and 3 rolls with a white fish and jalapeno.  Except for the one in between the fatty tuna and the salmon every single piece was a knockout.  I recently got what would be the equivalent of this order at Sushi Taro at the bar for lunch and to my taste thought this was definitely a bit superior.  The freshness of this fish is fantastic, but what sets Takumi apart in my book is the little individual touches on each piece of nigiri that perfectly complement each fish.  My main dining companion has never been as big of a sushi fan as I am was also blown away by this meal.

I had room for a little more and decided to spring for the Bluefin tuna tasting pictured below for $22 (I know from a sustainability POV I shouldn't order this, but I'd never tried it before).

IMG_5418.JPG.2da6bcc0d2c7e35a30c93c2bc5b747c5.JPG

From left to right : lean tuna, fatty tuna, I think they called the 3rd a tuna carpaccio roll,  and torched tuna.  One again this was phenomenal.  A waitress had previously told me during a mid-week lunch that they had the best variety of fish in on the weekend which definitely seemed to be the case from the tasting and the large number of specials listed on the sign outside.  Next time I can get a seat at the counter I am definitely looking to try the Omakase option mentioned on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, FranklinDubya said:

Next time I can get a seat at the counter I am definitely looking to try the Omakase option mentioned on here.

Omakase is always a good choice  if your wallet can afford it. It is worth every bite. I usually always opt for it when I go for sushi, on account I like the watching the masters at work. It is the equivalent of dining at the Chef's table. Your meal looks amazing. I will need to add this spot the next time I am in the DMV. 

You had me at sushi,

kat

22 minutes ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Omakase is always a good choice  if your wallet can afford it. It is worth every bite. I usually always opt for it when I go for sushi, on account I like the watching the masters at work. It is the equivalent of dining at the Chef's table. Your meal looks amazing. I will need to add this spot the next time I am in the DMV. 

You had me at sushi,

kat

Of note: Takumi is still one of very few restaurants here with a 100% positive-approval "rating" (i.e., posts).

I urge anyone living in Falls Church, Arlington, Fairfax, or McLean to become regulars here - can you imagine if this were to close for lack of business?

28 minutes ago, MarkS said:

I work in Reston and will plan on lunch here soon.  Sounds phenomenal.

You'd be well-advised to lower your expectations a tad:  It is not phenomenal, nor is it trying to be.  It is, however, something rarer than that around here:  A very fine sushi place at a reasonable price, run by very nice folks.  Only thing comparable these days is the Sunday Mirai pop-up.

• Like 2

The Stevester and I had lunch at Takumi yesterday.  We sat at the sushi bar and asked for the omakase.  We were first presented with an expertly dissected scallop (one each).  Never had a whole scallop raw before.  Surprisingly all the parts were pretty good, including the coral.  The texture ranges from soft to crunchy, and the taste ranges from sweet to slightly bitter (from the coral).  A lovely experience.

The sushi came in two waves.  There were some nice chutoro and otoro, snapper, artic char, etc.  The ice fish  was interesting.  I couldn't really taste the fish because the nori had a stronger flavor.  The Steve-meister spat his out.  Can't take that gaijin anywhere.

Some comments - I thought the rice was bland and Steve-arino thought the rice was too dry.

With 1 large beer each, total with tax & tip was $90 pp.

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

• Like 1

The rice was bland, dry, and there was way too much of it.  It ruined the the experience of eating such exquisite fish.

1 hour ago, Sthitch said:

The rice was bland, dry, and there was way too much of it.  It ruined the the experience of eating such exquisite fish.

That's odd -- the rice has never been dry when I've been there.  Not the greatest sushi rice ever, but hardly dry.  

When I'm desperate for sushi, and don't want to commute, I go to the serviceable, but largely mediocre, Takohachi  - which features dollar sushi, and self-service wasabi (you literally have to take the fish off the rice, put on your own wasabi, and plop the fish back on top) - if you have their menu, they'll also prepare a carryout platter for you, but make sure you ask them to have it ready when you arrive.

If I'm feeling flush, and want something of much higher quality: I live something close to midway between Takumi and Sushi Capitol, so I choose one or the other - the quality of these two fine restaurants is similar, but Takumi is a better value for the money. 

Last night, we went to the sushi bar, and requested a $60 omakase, primarily sashimi (the best way to fly here, is to request an omakase (also to say how you want it weighted (mostly sashimi, mostly nigiri sushi, mostly maki sushi, mostly from the kitchen, or an even balance (*)), and to say how much money per person - it isn't considered boorish, and actually makes the chef's life easier). Chef Yu had some remarkable fish last night, including some of the best toro I've had recently (has anyone noticed that at the top end, really good toro has gotten easier to find in recent years?) He started with a salad of scallop and cucumber, progressed to an Italian-influenced dish of salmon, olive oil, salt, tiny tomatoes, and basil, went on to a tuna tartare that was out of this world - then, the sashimi started arriving. It was an incredible meal, and never even got to $60 per person - they got one heck of a tip just to make sure. Takumi also has really good Japanese beers (Echigo, Hitachino, etc.) and sake, both of which we enjoyed.

Takumi is a Top 3 restaurant in Northern Virginia.

(*) In case you think I'm so wise: At the end of the meal, Chef Yu asked if we'd like anything else. I asked for a Tekka Maki, and he diligently made and served a tuna roll. I had a brain malfunction; I meant to say Temaki.

• Like 4

Since I rarely get to FC these days, I had not heard of Takumi until it came up in a Yelp search this very afternoon.

Lately I've been going mainly for sashimi instead of sushi to minimize my carb intake, so the fish had better be good. Takumi's is excellent. I got scallops, sweet shrimp, enoki mushrooms, a yellowtail, maybe an amberjack, one other delicious fish, and a roe. (See pic) Also got the tuna tartare napoleon app, which turns out to be four canapes instead of a single napoleon. Not exactly what you'd expect but it was quite tasty. (See pic)

Takumi is not cheap, but the fish is top-notch and the vibe is really good.

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

• Like 4