Nielsen's Frozen Custard, A Small Utah-Based Franchise on Church Street in Vienna - Closed (While Looking Where To Relocate) Dec 20, 2015

After stuffing ourselves silly at Chase The Submarine, my young dining companion and I stopped into Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It was the day before it was closing at this location permanently, reportedly in order to relocate, so I wanted to take home some samplings.

They were running very low on stock, and I felt fortunate to purchase some Pre-Packed Vanilla Frozen Custard ($5.95, Pint), which was delicious when tasted in the store. After I got home and put it in the freezer, I saw what my cryogenic treatment did to it, and allowed it to warm up a bit in the refrigerator for a good half hour before even attempting to get some for, um, Matt.

I'm not sure if Nielsen's uses corn syrup or sugar as their sweetener, but I am sure that this custard tastes really good - it was (and hopefully will be) a worthy competitor to The Dairy Godmother in Del Ray, but I'm having trouble thinking of any other frozen custard in this area that even approaches this level.

It will be sad if Nielsen's doesn't reopen, and I hope they're being straightforward when they say they're merely looking to relocate; if not, their equipment will be up for auction soon. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying the new location, and branching out from Vanilla. I don't need Tutti-Frutti Bubble-Gum Zing Pop Crunch, but (aside from not having it), Nielsen's doesn't rely on kiddy-sweet plastic flavors for their high quality - vanilla does just fine, and actually has a taste that resembles vanilla-bean syrup.

The pint lasted us through Christmas, almost.

I'm not sure if Nielsen's uses corn syrup or sugar as their sweetener, but I am sure that this custard tastes really good - it was (and hopefully will be) a worthy competitor to The Dairy Godmother in Del Ray, but I'm having trouble thinking of any other frozen custard in this area that even approaches this level.

Carl's in Fredericksburg which has original Electro Freeze machines.  The only original Electro Freeze machines left in the state of VA.  Frozen custard there (when it openes in the spring) tastes exactly as it did sixty years ago. And, in the summer, the lines will be as long.

Best wishes to Neilsen's and The Dairy Godmother.

I'm really sorry to hear this news! While I couldn't stand being in the shop because of the stench of old frier oil and the racket of their custard machines, I really like the ability to pop in for a great custard. I could never understand, though, why their machines were so noisy when custard machines at other places seemed to be much more quiet.