Misnomers by Sports Announcers - "He Was Carrying That Ball Like ...."

NiceDocter

Just about every football game Ive ever watched there comes a time when someone is running with the ball (frequently the quarterback) holding it out from his body, palming it and swinging it around and lots of times this ends up in a fumble or darned close. At this point the announcers say " he was carrying that ball like a loaf of bread!" REALLY? I've been in grocery stores for 60 years now and I've never seen anyone carry a loaf of bread palming it and swinging it around, have you? Thats the last way I'd ever think of carrying bread......

I'm jus sayin........ <_<

• Like 1

Mama Lovehockey does not like the "Loaf of Bread" problem. It is indeed a problem.  It's when a player doesn't hold the ball close to the chest.  When it isn't (held loosely), it's vulnerable to a fumble when a defensive player tackles or smacks the ball out.  It happened in the FCS Championship game today with North Dakota State and Jacksonville State.

" ... always gives 110 percent ..."

This falls into the category of "personal pet peeve" because I almost always exclaim, aloud, "*Idiot*!" - even if I'm alone. And it goes both for sportscasters talking about players, and players being interviewed.

As long as I'm launched, I used to think it was a sign of humility when a player turned to God after winning, or making a great play, essentially thanking Him for the blessing. Then, I started to use my mind a little bit - why should God bless *you* and not the other person, or your team and not the other team, you *Idiot*? It's not humble; it's thoughtless and perhaps even selfish, as well as being just plain stupid.

If I were playing in a close match, and barely won, I would write it off to luck, and wish my opponent better luck next time because luck always evens out among equals in the long term. Then again, "luck" also favors the person who works just a little harder, who doesn't tense up or blink at the last moment, or who just feels a little better that day - in other words, two people or teams are never exact "equals."

This doesn't have anything to do with sports announcers, but is anyone else as irritated as I am by the obligatory "fall to the ground" moment after winning a Major Tennis Singles Championship?

In this year's French Open, both Djokovic and Muguruza waited a bit, then realized, 'Oh, wait a minute, I'm supposed to collapse now,' and then sprawled out onto the court. 

The first person I can remember doing this was Björn Borg, who dropped to his knees and looked up to Wotan after winning at Wimbledon, but didn't seem to partake in the "total body collapse" photo ops that *everyone* seems to do these days. Does anyone remember the last time someone won a Major Singles Championship when they haven't done this? Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't have any specific recollections of Serena Williams dancing the TBC, but I'm not sure.