What Do To With Leftover Boneless Ham?

Bart

Does anyone have a recipe or any ideas what to do with a bunch of leftover ham?

All the soup recipes I've seen don't use a whole lot of ham in the first place, and require the ham bone.  I'd like to use much more ham and save the bone for stock making later.

I faced this problem after getting a huge ham as a gift from a relative. I ended up just making a pot of beans (large limas from Rancho Gordo) with aromatics, and then adding diced ham near the end to make a more than decent ham and bean soup.

I also crisped some of the ham with shallots and spinach in butter and served over grits with a red eye gravy. Pretty dang good if I say so myself.

• Like 1

We have been eating a lot of ham recently to finish up my pig from last year and clear the chest freezer for beef.  It is great put in scrambled eggs, breakfast for dinner style.  I also like it cubed in a soup with kale and white beans, last night I made grilled ham and cheese with homemade tomato soup.  Cuban or football sandwiches were my next thought.  You could also do chicken cordon blue, a classic cobb salad, casserole, quiche or put it on pizzas?

I would think you could slice some ham off, and put it into multiple, individual freezer bags for later use as sandwich meat - that thought just popped into my head as I read Katya4me's reply, so this is not something I've been pondering.

That said, I suspect you've already done what you're going to do. :)

That said, I suspect you've already done what you're going to do. :)

Not really Don......it's slowly getting eaten the old fashioned way (sandwiches, etc). I still have some weird shaped hunks from the parts near the bone that may get converted into soup but this is turning into less of a problem than I originally thought.

Ham doesn't seem to last very long in our house when it is pre-cut into slices and can be snacked on straight from the fridge. We just learned that cold ham slices/chunks make great salty road trip food (fits easily in a small cold bag). Also, as said above, it goes great in fried rice and freezes well to be eaten later. I threw a bunch into a batch of lentil soup and it mostly negated the health value but was easily the tastiest batch I've ever made (usually it is a vegetarian soup). You could bake it into buns like they do in Chinese bakeries, if you are bored of regular sandwiches. 

As Don noted, it does freeze very well too.  I froze half of mine after our NYD dinner (large boneless so a LOT of ham leftover for just two people).  I will thaw it when we are over our, "No, no, not ham, please for the love of god," phase.  I think if I do a breakfast scramble this weekend we will be though the part I didn't freeze.  I was maybe too ambitious in what I thought we could handle.

Yesterday I made a pot of red beans with some boneless ham. I held back on salt until the ham had simmered in the beans for a while. As it turns out, I had to add more, but the ham (I used just about 3/4 lb. for a lb. of dried beans) delivered luscious flavor. It's going to be wicked cold here next week. Beans and rice will be the perfect antidote to the freeze!

Ham doesn't seem to last very long in our house when it is pre-cut into slices and can be snacked on straight from the fridge. 

A shockingly large amount of my ham went bye-bye this way.  So much so that I did end needing to or making the soup I bought ingredients for.......looks like another ham may be in order!     :wacko:

• Like 1

For at least 2 decades I've turned excess roasts, fish and fowl into a hash.  Corned beef is not the only hash alternative!!!!   Diced ham goes well with a hash and you can flavor and spice it to your hearts content.   Cripes I even found a hash cookbook.   (nuts I should have done that....I've been hashing for decades)

I also crisped some of the ham with shallots and spinach in butter and served over grits with a red eye gravy. Pretty dang good if I say so myself.

Really not that different in theory than what Josh did with grits.  Endless variations.

....and then the reference brought me back to a favorite winter dish from my youth...thick split pea soup with ham.   Its the kind of dish that makes cold weather tolerable.