Gianandrea Noseda (1964-) - Italian Classical Music Conductor, Named Music Director of the U.S. National Symphony Orchestra on Jan 4, 2016 Beginning with the 2017-2018 Season

DonRocks

I got a nonsensical email yesterday from one of my two big classical music friends (from Dallas) addressed to me and another guy in New York:

"Now that the National Symphony has a real music director and and Citronelle has closed, when do we drink Krug?"

The guy from New York replied: "Rocks help me parse this email. You are in DC."

Dallas: "No just thirsty in Dallas."

---

This made no sense to me until I saw this just now:

"National Symphony Orchestra Names Rising Star Gianandrea Noseda as Music Director" by Anne Midgette on washingtonpost.com

I know virtually nothing about Gianandrea Noseda, but I know enough about the person sending this email to be 100% sure that this must be some type of enormous coup for the NSO, so this is great news for the city of DC.

Founded in in 1931, the National Symphony Orchestra will have only its eighth Music Director with the appointment of Noseda. As you can see, it has been a relatively turbulent time since 2008:

1931-1949: Hans Kindler

1949-1970: Howard Mitchell

1970-1977: Antal Doráti

1977-1994: Mstislav Rostropovich

1996-2008: Leonard Slatkin

2008-2010: Iván Fischer

2010-2017: Christoph Eschenbach

2017-          Gianandrea Noseda

"National Symphony Orchestra Names Rising Star Gianandrea Noseda as Music Director" by Anne Midgette on washingtonpost.com

I know virtually nothing about Gianandrea Noseda, but I know enough about the person sending this email to be 100% sure that this must be some type of enormous coup for the NSO, so this is great news for the city of DC.

This looks promising for an orchestra that really needs a music director to get it to step up to the major leagues.

• Like 1

This looks promising for an orchestra that really needs a music director to get it to step up to the major leagues.

We saw his guest appearance here late last year. It was really a good concert. I have high hopes!

In case anyone has trouble remembering his challenging name, start by recalling "John Andrea knows Edda."

Of course, now you have two names to remember, as well as a 13th-century Icelandic poem. :lol: But if you watch this entire video, you'll never be able to forget them (the names, at least):

The_Great_Gazoo.pngThe_Great_Gazoo.pngThe_Great_Gazoo.png

No lip-syncing in *this* video. Nope. No sir-eee. Especially not at the 2:55 mark.

And believe it or not, this ball of cheese has had a long and successful career with a Grammy and an Emmy! He even aged some.