sheldman

Tail Up Goat, Chef Jon Sybert, Beverage Director Bill Jensen, and Service Director Jill Tyler All Come from the Komi Team - Adams Morgan

Had dinner there last night with a dear colleague.  Both of our first times trying and we were both extremely impressed with everything from the wine to the food to the decor / service.

It was also my first opportunity to try a wine from Lightwell Survey (Sebastian Zutants label) - "You're a Wild One" which is a unique blend of mostly Cabernet Franc with a bit of Petit Manseng thrown in.  This was amazingly drinkable stuff that I thought was pretty unique.

In terms of food we had:

- BBQ Carrots (I literally almost licked the dish clean - would highly recommend)

- Einkorn Sourdough with Chicken Liver Mousse - loved the char on the bread which really complemented the smoothness of the mousse

- Tagliatelle - while this was good - I likely would order a different pasta next time.  I didn't get a lot of flavor out of the breadcrumbs and my dining partner commented that it almost felt like "eating sand" in the pasta

- Lamb Ribs - the accolades folks have heaped on them are well deserved in my opinion.  A huge plate of meaty ribs - I was pretty stuffed after we demolished this plate.

- Dessert we had the Oat Cake and Apple Sorbet - I liked the clean flavors in the sorbet, and the surprise hit of tumeric actually worked quite well

It wasn't a cheap meal but we also basically rolled out of there due to being so full - what a wonderful spot and one that once the twins grow up a bit more and give my wife and I some freedom back, we'll be heading to for a date night in the future.

• Like 2

Had dinner here two weeks ago with @MichaelBDC to celebrate our five years of dating bliss. I was battling a stubborn cold, but had really been looking forward to TUG and insisted we keep our long awaited reservations. 

We started with two glasses of lambrusco and then had yellowfin tuna crudo, a spring salad over red grits, Einkorn Sourdough, salami cotto, and a tomahawk pork chop that was on special. Midway through the meal, I switched to a riesling while @MichaelBDC had a glass of red wine. The food was delicious despite my taste buds being a little off due to the aforementioned cold. Each dish was interesting in its own way, had good texture, and was well executed. Service was warm and friendly. Looking back, the overall impression we were left with at TUG was just how solid the experience was. Our only regret was not ordering the lamb ribs, which looked amazing coming out of the kitchen. Next time...

• Like 4

Notice what is *not* on the current TuG menu.  I, for one, think it's a welcome development--but I suppose if the signature dish were your favorite, or go-to, dish, it might take some getting used to.

That’s brave but understandable,  maybe they could have just added a dish. I don’t really love lamb ribs, though It was a really well made and well thought-out dish. After the first visit I always ordered the fish

i was there two weeks ago and still think it’s very good, especially the fish, the focaccia and sherry pork tagliatelle.  Service at the bar was terrific. I live only a few blocks away, and would be a regular if I could afford it.

3 hours ago, Harbinger said:

That’s brave but understandable,  maybe they could have just added a dish. I don’t really love lamb ribs, though It was a really well made and well thought-out dish. After the first visit I always ordered the fish.

I agree that it was a really well-done dish, but one I rarely ordered because it was so rich and the other offerings were better value.  Jill Tyler asked me to send along this message from TuG regarding the change-of-pace:

"The lamb ribs had a great run but the kitchen is excited to be shaking things up.  Most importantly, we weren't able to work with local farms to get our lamb because of the sheer number of ribs we were selling.  Now all of our pork, beef, poultry, rabbits and seafood are from farms and fisherman that we have personal relationships with -- that matters.  It means we are supporting other small businesses and supporting better food systems."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Notice what is *not* on the current TuG menu.  I, for one, think it's a welcome development--but I suppose if the signature dish were your favorite, or go-to, dish, it might take some getting used to.

You know what? I had no idea the lamb ribs were their signature dish; if you'd have asked me, I would have guessed it was the bread courses (which I suppose are "just" crostini on exotic steroids).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

You know what? I had no idea the lamb ribs were their signature dish; if you'd have asked me, I would have guessed it was the bread courses (which I suppose are "just" crostini on exotic steroids).

We had an amazing meal at TuG last summer but my wife is not a lamb fan so we didn't get the ribs. The pork loin/belly entree might entice her though, but honestly, the other courses are so good you really don't need the entree.

Nooooo I would've wanted to try the lamb ribs one more time before they went off menu although everything I've there over 4 visits has been so amazing I'm not terribly worried about them filling in something else amazing.

I meant to get them last time I went about a month ago but they had a dairy cow strip steak special with ramp butter... this was probably the best steak I've ever had (small pieces of wagyu excluded) - even besting Kinship's incredible ribeye in my opinion.  

I'm sure I'll be back soon to try the new pork (or whatever else) being that at the moment Tail Up Goat is pretty easily my #1 favorite place in DC outside of tasting menu spots.

Finally made it here last night with the wife. Some parts were great, but others disappointing. Maybe I chose poorly, but I was not hugely impressed.

We had:

Crispy salt cod: this was solid, though the smoked cauliflower was a little rich.

Salami cotto: also good, though more acid in the accompanying peperonata would have cut through the fat better.

einkorn sourdough  with yoghurt and smoked trout roe - my favorite dish of the night, though the bread was a little too charred at the edges.

corzetti and garganelli - the pasta itself was good, particularly the garganelli, but the pesto with the corzetti was a one-dimensional. Like Rovers2000 I found the breadcrumbs with the corzetti a little like eating sand.

Then we split the pork loin and peach glazed belly - this was the low point of the meal for me. The peach glaze was horribly sweet, and with the fatty belly almost inedible. No desire for dessert after that.

The wine was great, but overall I found the food too rich. It is also extremely expensive. It was packed though, so clearly the prices are not high enough to put anyone off.

• Sad 2

Dinner here on a blustery evening yesterday was a highlight and made me wonder why we hadn't been yet.  I was disappointed to learn that they didn't allow corkage, but the sommelier guided us to a lovely red from the Loire Valley that paired well with all of the offerings.  The food was fantastic; we loved the crispy salt cod, it was rich and good winter food, and really enjoyed last night's cheese course.  The stuffed porgy was wonderful; perfectly cooked and well spiced, restaurants don't always do these share dishes well but knocked this one out of the park.  I agree with some of the posters above about this not being the cheapest meal, but it also doesn't compare to places like Joe's Stone Crab or RPM.  We got a $60 bottle of wine, 5 courses and dessert for under $200, and 2 small gratis courses from the kitchen.  Not necessarily a place to hit every night, but this will definitely be in our rotation a couple times a year.

• Like 4

Pictures I took from the innaugural brunch service at TuG on 12/2 (thank you window lighting).  Really enjoyed the meal and at only $40 a person for 3 courses a pretty damn good deal all things considered to try the awesome cooking here.  I managed to get NYE reservations here which I'm extremely excited for.
  • Like 3