Instant Pot (2009-) - "Third-Generation" Pressure Cooker Designed in Ottawa, Canada

Genevieve

Weighing in on the IP, I still make broth weekly, lately I roast a small chicken, then use the carcass & bones for broth (sometimes adding stuff for pho),  I also use it for simpler things-hardboiled eggs, parboiled potatoes (w/ salt & vinegar) for s&v homefries, beans, veg.

• Like 2

Picked up a corn beef brisket at Wegmans and I'm planning to cook it in the Instant Pot. I usually cook it on the stove top -- we'll see how it goes -- I'm aiming for sliceable corn beef. The IP recipes for corn beef have quite a bit of variation; I may cook to the minimum time, check on it and see if it needs more cooking. Has anyone cooked corn beef in the IP?

Ok, so this recipe for carnitas is awesome!  I loved it, Hubby loved it, agreed we would totally make it again.  As a note, I halved it and didn't mix the braise liquid together beforehand, I just added all the stuff to the pot after the pork was cooked.  I didn't see any advantage to dirtying another bowl to mix it.  I also didn't make the salsa because Hubby isn't a big pineapple person.  So we had it on these really good store bought tortillas (a little more expensive, but they say handmade style from Harris Teeter) with onion, radish, lettuce and some hot sauce.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/instant-pot-crispy-carnitas/  It was a good night and I think we are both eyeing up the leftover pork.  I had a defrosted full two pieces pork tenderloin, and I saved a little for a stir fry another evening, but perhaps I should have made the whole thing.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 10:41 AM, curls said:

Picked up a corn beef brisket at Wegmans and I'm planning to cook it in the Instant Pot. I usually cook it on the stove top -- we'll see how it goes -- I'm aiming for sliceable corn beef. The IP recipes for corn beef have quite a bit of variation; I may cook to the minimum time, check on it and see if it needs more cooking. Has anyone cooked corn beef in the IP?

How did it turn out? Mine goes in today. I am corning my own and got a late start.... 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, Smita Nordwall said:

How did it turn out? Mine goes in today. I am corning my own and got a late start.... 

Funny you should ask... I decided to sous vide the corned beef at 60C for 57 hours. Turned out great but I still don't know how it would have cooked up in the Instant Pot. I think it that would also be very good and I need to give it a try. Sorry I can't report back on this yet.

Cool that you corned your own! I'm curious how you think it compares to store bought corned beef. Good luck, I'm sure it will be great however you decide to cook it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, curls said:

Cool that you corned your own! I'm curious how you think it compares to store bought corned beef. Good luck, I'm sure it will be great however you decide to cook it.

I cooked it in the IP for 75 minutes. Could have done 10 less. The flavor is outstanding... I used to love store bought but I found the flavors in home made much cleaner. I also mixed my own pickling spice.  

• Like 3

On 3/23/2018 at 4:20 PM, Smita Nordwall said:

I cooked it in the IP for 75 minutes. Could have done 10 less. The flavor is outstanding... I used to love store bought but I found the flavors in home made much cleaner. I also mixed my own pickling spice.  

Glad to hear it turned out well! 55 minutes to delicious corned beef! 

Would you mind sharing your brining process / recipe? Also, how large was your corned beef & did you use natural or quick release?

I had 6.5 lb. brisket from Springfield Butcher, trimmed. I made the pickling spice using the recipe from Serious Eats. The beef went into a 2-gallon Ziploc bag with 1 gallon of water, 1c Morton's Kosher salt, 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 the pickling spice mix. Brined for 9 days. Before cooking it, I rinsed it, put it in the IP with water to cover and pressure cooked it for 0 minutes. This pulled out all the excess salt and scum. Washed out the pot and returned the brisket with fresh water to cover and the rest of the pickling spice. And yes, I would do 65 minutes. 

Oh, I only cooked half the brisket. The other half is at a friend's being turned into pastrami as we speak. 

• Like 2

Well I had an instant pot fail meal- I should have known better, even brussles sprouts cook for a far less time than chicken.  It was my own fault, I wasn't following a recipe, and I kind of knew better.  I used the chicken out of it and used the sauce and mush of brussles to make a sauce for a casserole and turned it into a casserole.  

But last night I made the brisket.  It wasn't made in all the glory I would have liked and that makes me sad because I was really excited to try some of the above.  I did cut it in half and wanted to try it both ways (insta v sous vide), but last night I got home and the sink was supposed to be replaced, so I was planning on take out, but they cancelled last minute.  We just got groceries, so I felt like I had to make dinner.  Looking at the brisket sitting unthawed in the fridge, I knew it was it's destiny.  So I rubbed it with barbacoa spices (cumin, ground chipotle, chipotle flakes, onion flakes, garlic powder, oregano, (no cilantro because yuck) paprika, pepper), let it sit for 30 minutes, then it went into the instant pot with lime juice.  It was supposed to have water or beef broth, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, BUT I had a spicy chicken broth left over from making chicken breasts last week with a rub that was too good to throw out staring at me from the fridge, and a little less than a cup of wine that was no longer consumable (I tried) sitting on the counter, so I used that because well why not really (this is how things like mushy Brussels sprouts happen, I have a tendency to experiment).  So that was the braising liquid with the lime juice.  I set the pot to 45 minutes.  It turned out very good actually, we made it in tacos and while not as good as the carnitas, it was really good.  We have some leftovers that will likely become a bowl and/or sandwich.

• Like 2

Has anybody else repeatedly gotten the "burning" error message? I lift the lid, see nothing amiss, reset the insert inside the pot, and still get the message.  As dinner time  was marching closer, I had to abandon the pot and move to Plan B, which was frustrating.  This happened one other time as well but three other times cooked with no problem at all.  Any tips on what I 'm doing wrong?

6 hours ago, Seanchai said:

Has anybody else repeatedly gotten the "burning" error message? I lift the lid, see nothing amiss, reset the insert inside the pot, and still get the message.  As dinner time  was marching closer, I had to abandon the pot and move to Plan B, which was frustrating.  This happened one other time as well but three other times cooked with no problem at all.  Any tips on what I 'm doing wrong?

I have not, but know a lot of people get the message. The problem appears to be improper deglazing. If you sauteed or browned something before building pressure, make sure you really scrape the bottom of the pot.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I have no need for another contraption such as this in my kitchen.

To hear enthusiasts describe it, you won't need anything else in your kitchen-- you can toss your stove, microwave, blender, toaster, and probably even your refrigerator. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarkS said:

It has its place.  Can do duty as crock pot, pressure cooker, etc.  Definitely useful but not life changing.

I politely disagree that it isn't life changing, hahahahhaa.  I have been using mine lately for a lot of curries.  I also used it to make some baked beans from scratch- that was great as I could saute the bacon in the pot then add everything else in and start it.  Has anyone used it for "risotto" if so any recipes you liked to do it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I politely disagree that it isn't life changing, hahahahhaa.  I have been using mine lately for a lot of curries.  I also used it to make some baked beans from scratch- that was great as I could saute the bacon in the pot then add everything else in and start it.  Has anyone used it for "risotto" if so any recipes you liked to do it?

I have made risotto in it... works very well. Try Serious Eats' mushroom risotto recipe.  I use used TJ's ginger miso stock in it. Incredible!  And I am with you about the IP. Ever since I got it, I am making way more Indian food... lot of pot in pot.

• Like 1

I ended up doing some pork ribs as my first go in the pot.  Moist & a bit too tender at 25 minutes; 22 would have sufficed, and finished with some commercial BBQ sauce under the broiler.  Not as good as long smoked & grilled, but so dang easy and clean--up was easy as well.  

• Like 1

I made the risotto above without the mushrooms as Hubby isn't a mushroom person.  I used Charleston Gold Rice as I was trying to use it up.  I thought it turned out pretty good.  I will try next with the arborio rice I need to use up.

Tonight I am making a chickpea curry.  This week I am going to make homemade baked beans.

• Like 3

I overbought fresh corn at the market last week, so I nuked what I hadn't used up and, once it cooled, cut the kernels off the cobs.  The cobs I then broke in half and put in the Instapot with about 4 cups of water and a pinch of salt.  Cooked under pressure about 8 minutes.  Fabulous corn stock.  I refrigerated it and this morning  put together a chilled corn soup.  I'll pick up some crab while I'm shopping today for a lovely cold soup dinner tonight.

• Like 2