Honeybaked Ham (1957-) - The Hoenselaar Family's Detroit-Based Franchise

DonRocks

It's a real thing. An elderly Detroit based relative sends two honeybaked ham to +1's parents every year for Christmas. They're pretty decent as cooked ham goes. (Of course, a Spain-based relative sending a full Iberico Bellota ham would be way better and let me use that gosh darn ham stand.)

• Like 1

There are two in Falls Church that I know of. The other one is where Famous Daves and the Chipotle are.

Actually this place came up in convo the other day. I feel it's got to be underutilized. I've never been but surely they make a hell of a ham sandwich. I mean, they have to, don't they?

There are two in Falls Church that I know of. The other one is where Famous Daves and the Chipotle are.

Actually this place came up in convo the other day. I feel it's got to be underutilized. I've never been but surely they make a hell of a ham sandwich. I mean, they have to, don't they?

You're right, I forgot about that one. The one by Whole Foods does *not* make a good ham sandwich, or didn't as of several years ago - and although my memory is surely faulty, I remember it not being particularly cheap.

I haven't checked recently, but there used to be a Honeybaked Ham store in the Fair City Mall complex, as well as one on Franconia Road in Alexandria. Their ham hocks do make good soup. I've sent gifts from the website, but haven't been to a brick-and-mortar store in about 9 years. That's my story and I'm sticking to it . . . Don!

• Like 1

Possibly 4 or 5 years ago I stopped at the Honey Baked Ham at the Broadale Village Shopping Center in Falls Church with Famous Dave's. I'm not sure what I ordered but I am sure of this. It was HORRIBLE...could have been a ham sandwich, possibly an early morning ham and eggs....man....what I remember is that it was HORRIBLE.

I've received a couple of honey baked hams over the many years and given some as gifts--all good. But that sit in visit was a disaster. ---really a crazy memory--> horrible. I'd give the gifts now and be grateful for receiving one.  Won't stop off for lunch though.

• Like 1

Actually, the store in Idylwood Plaza (where the Whole Foods is located) closed years ago and moved to the location by the Famous Dave's. My youngest nephew worked at that location three summers ago. We usually get a ham during the Thanksgiving season, but found the one we got last year disappointing. It was mostly bone and had very little glaze. I'm not in a hurry to get another one.

• Like 1

Actually, the store in Idylwood Plaza (where the Whole Foods is located) closed years ago and moved to the location by the Famous Dave's. My youngest nephew worked at that location three summers ago. We usually get a ham during the Thanksgiving season, but found the one we got last year disappointing. It was mostly bone and had very little glaze. I'm not in a hurry to get another one.

Well, *now* it makes sense that there are "two stores" in Falls Church. Has it really been that long? Gosh, I haven't been in there in years, but in my mind, I "see it" every time I'm in that shopping center.

• Like 1

The one by Whole Foods does *not* make a good ham sandwich, or didn't as of several years ago - and although my memory is surely faulty, I remember it not being particularly cheap.

The Honey Baked Ham Company near the Whole Foods -- where I worked every Christmas break in college -- is closed.  The store on Broad street is the only one left in Falls Church.

The Honey Baked Ham Company near the Whole Foods -- where I worked every Christmas break in college -- is closed.  The store on Broad street is the only one left in Falls Church.

Scroll up two posts! :)

If you were on the floor, I'd bet I saw you at that Whole Foods - depending on what years you're talking about, I used to go there pretty often. An interesting story: one day (sometime in the 1990's), Matt's mom was shopping there, and there was a sudden power outage. Within seconds, employees started at the back, and began a moving wall of people (like a search party), ushering customers towards the front door, and getting them out of the store. Whatever they had in their baskets or carts was theirs to keep, free of charge. Obviously, there was some type of well-planned, rapid response for emergencies such as this.