Wild Salmon

pras

This past weekend we visited friends in Baltimore.  They asked us if we wanted to go to the "Salmon Guy" and buy some wild salmon.  There is this guy that lives in Baltimore who heads to Alaska every season to fish for wild salmon.  He owns his own small processing plant where he cleans, prepares, vacuum seals, and freezes a portion of his catch and ships it back Maryland.  In addition to un-cooked salmon, he cold smokes a bunch for 4 varieties of lox in a smokehouse in his back yard (traditional, maple, cracked pepper, and citrus).  When we were there he had king and sockeye, along with roe, heads and carcasses, and what I call the "wings").

We bought the traditional and black pepper lox ($20/lb), a piece of un-cooked King ($22/lb), wings, and roe.  We had the lox for breakfast, everyone raved, we also tried the roe which I thought had a very good flavor (better than the bland stuff at a sushi bar), and for dinner the "wings", which had alot of meet on them.

Pricing for sockeye fillets is $14/lb, the carcasses, heads, and wings are $5/lb.

He has some other presentations, but I am not sure of the prices.  He is a very nice guy who will talk your head off if you let him (I would have stayed and chatted for longer, but my wife and daughter were ready to go!).

If anyone is interested, I can email you his information/arrange an introduction.

This past weekend we visited friends in Baltimore.  They asked us if we wanted to go to the "Salmon Guy" and buy some wild salmon.  There is this guy that lives in Baltimore who heads to Alaska every season to fish for wild salmon.  He owns his own small processing plant where he cleans, prepares, vacuum seals, and freezes a portion of his catch and ships it back Maryland.  In addition to un-cooked salmon, he cold smokes a bunch for 4 varieties of lox in a smokehouse in his back yard (traditional, maple, cracked pepper, and citrus).  When we were there he had king and sockeye, along with roe, heads and carcasses, and what I call the "wings").

We bought the traditional and black pepper lox ($20/lb), a piece of un-cooked King ($22/lb), wings, and roe.  We had the lox for breakfast, everyone raved, we also tried the roe which I thought had a very good flavor (better than the bland stuff at a sushi bar), and for dinner the "wings", which had alot of meet on them.

Pricing for sockeye fillets is $14/lb, the carcasses, heads, and wings are $5/lb.

He has some other presentations, but I am not sure of the prices.  He is a very nice guy who will talk your head off if you let him (I would have stayed and chatted for longer, but my wife and daughter were ready to go!).

If anyone is interested, I can email you his information/arrange an introduction.

Is this Kwee-Jack Fish Co.?

There's a guy in DC who basically does the same thing.  His company is called Cold Country Salmon, and his products are great.

I hope he returns to the forum. He offered bulk orders on black cod and salmon in 2013 which I stupidly didn't take him up on:

It has been a couple years, but I've always maintained a good relationship with Traveler Terpening of Cold Country Salmon, and could reach out to him.

You should write DanielK about this as well.

Actually, I checked, and my previous email from him was on Dec 15, 2015. I wrote him just now, and alerted him to this thread.

---

Probably as long as thirty years ago, I ordered an entire salmon through the mail, which arrived cold-packed. I served it at a small dinner party, and it was a *smash* hit - I can't remember the name of the company, but there are several now who offer similar things:

The Wild Salmon Co., for instance.

Cold Point Seafoods

Obviously, I can't vouch for the quality of any of these places, but they do exist. I wish I could remember the name of the place I ordered from - it was phenomenal.

I'm going to be enjoying some of Traveler/Cold Country's salmon for dinner tonight. I've ordered a share the past few years - a mix of sockeye and sablefish - and have enjoyed every bite of it!

Hopefully, Traveler will stop by and post an update - he's got some exciting things going on and new plans in the works. I'll give him a few days to share, but if he doesn't, I'll post some info.

• Like 1

I'm going to be enjoying some of Traveler/Cold Country's salmon for dinner tonight. I've ordered a share the past few years - a mix of sockeye and sablefish - and have enjoyed every bite of it!

Hopefully, Traveler will stop by and post an update - he's got some exciting things going on and new plans in the works. I'll give him a few days to share, but if he doesn't, I'll post some info.

Exactly what she said. I've ordered from him the past 3 years (King and Sablefish) after he posted here and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

Hi guys, this is Traveler of Cold Country Salmon.

I'm very flattered by some of the comments here. Thanks! It makes all the difference when you know all the work is appreciated.

As you have probably noticed, my logo and business name aren't Cold Country Salmon anymore. This is my new business Salmon & Sable. Here's the story. I'm in the process of selling Cold Country Salmon to Zac Culbertson right now. He will own the business name and do the farmers markets. The part of the business that presold Shares of the catch and shipped them to your door has remained with me, as have customers and their personal info. Develop a relationship with Zac if you'd like to shop at the local markets, or if you like the fish I catch and fillet shipped to your door, then check out my new business Salmon & Sable.

As it happens, I just launched my new business today on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. I launched here to get some new exposure and also to raise money for my new fillet space at my remote fishing site in Western Alaska. Between today and April 10, my Kickstarter page will be the only place to preorder:

"Salmon & Sable: Alaskan Seafood Shares" by Traveler Terpening on kickstarter.com

After April 10, folks can preorder like they always have, but at my new site: www.salmonandsable.com. But, If you'd like to preorder a Share of my catch this season, Kickstarter is the way to do it since there are some solid discounts on a few limited quantity seafood Shares.

A big part of me branching off is that I wanted to focus entirely on preselling Shares of my catch. I also wanted to really get serious about closing the loop between net and plate. For me that means I catch it, I fillet it, I send it to you. End of story, no BS. Lots of folks claim to be doing this, few actually are. My kickstarter campaign in part is about raising money for my new fillet facility at my remote fishing site in Western, Alaska. Another key element of my new business is 100% transparency. I want anyone who is interested to be able to learn everything they want to about how their seafood gets to them. In that spirit, one of my Kickstarter rewards is the opportunity to visit my remote fishing site this summer to live in my cabin on the beach and learn to fish and fillet, then head home with a 25 lb. box of salmon you helped catch and fillet yourself.

I'm doing some new things this year in regard to folks preordering Shares. The easiest way to learn about it is to visit my Kickstarter page and watch the video. Enjoy. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/salmonandsable/salmon-and-sable

Traveler

Salmon & Sable

www.salmonandsable.com

• Like 1

Hi guys, this is Traveler of Cold Country Salmon.

I'm very flattered by some of the comments here. Thanks! It makes all the difference when you know all the work is appreciated.

As you have probably noticed, my logo and business name aren't Cold Country Salmon anymore. This is my new business Salmon & Sable. Here's the story. I'm in the process of selling Cold Country Salmon to Zac Culbertson right now. He will own the business name and do the farmers markets. The part of the business that presold Shares of the catch and shipped them to your door has remained with me, as have customers and their personal info. Develop a relationship with Zac if you'd like to shop at the local markets, or if you like the fish I catch and fillet shipped to your door, then check out my new business Salmon & Sable.

As it happens, I just launched my new business today on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. I launched here to get some new exposure and also to raise money for my new fillet space at my remote fishing site in Western Alaska. Between today and April 10, my Kickstarter page will be the only place to preorder:

"Salmon & Sable: Alaskan Seafood Shares" by Traveler Terpening on kickstarter.com

After April 10, folks can preorder like they always have, but at my new site: www.salmonandsable.com. But, If you'd like to preorder a Share of my catch this season, Kickstarter is the way to do it since there are some solid discounts on a few limited quantity seafood Shares.

A big part of me branching off is that I wanted to focus entirely on preselling Shares of my catch. I also wanted to really get serious about closing the loop between net and plate. For me that means I catch it, I fillet it, I send it to you. End of story, no BS. Lots of folks claim to be doing this, few actually are. My kickstarter campaign in part is about raising money for my new fillet facility at my remote fishing site in Western, Alaska. Another key element of my new business is 100% transparency. I want anyone who is interested to be able to learn everything they want to about how their seafood gets to them. In that spirit, one of my Kickstarter rewards is the opportunity to visit my remote fishing site this summer to live in my cabin on the beach and learn to fish and fillet, then head home with a 25 lb. box of salmon you helped catch and fillet yourself.

I'm doing some new things this year in regard to folks preordering Shares. The easiest way to learn about it is to visit my Kickstarter page and watch the video. Enjoy. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/salmonandsable/salmon-and-sable

Traveler

Salmon & Sable

www.salmonandsable.com

Zac Culbertson né of Radius Pizza and Cowboy Cafe, right?

• Like 1

I looked at your kickstarter page and I'm confused. I'm new to kickstarter and I'm new to the concept of "shares" so I guess I was expecting a typical price list/menu.

The only prices I see are for shipping. How much does 1 share cost and what's in it? I know 1 share = 10 pounds of fish, but what fish and how much? (as in servings per fish, or serving per share, or pounds per variety).

Is it possible to get 5 lbs of sockeye and 5 pounds of sable in one share, for instance?

Can I make up my own order or do I have to stick with the kickstarter menu choices?

What are the regular prices of this fish vs the kickstarter prices?

• Like 1

Hi Bart,

I am launching on Kickstarter so I will only be preselling my fish there between March 10 and April 10. After that folks can preorder at my site. 1 Share is 10 lbs and that is the smallest amount that can be ordered. Its also the smallest species increment. For instance, you can get one Share (10 lbs) but if you do that the shipping is the most costly per pound and you can only get one species. If you get 2 Shares (20 lbs) you can get 2 species (or 20 lbs of one species) and the cost per pound of shipping drops 57%. At 6 Shares the shipping is free. Although some of the cost of shipping is build in to the per pound cost of the fish. A Share of sockeye is $205 on Kickstarter. There is one reward that is $45 off for 2 Shares of sockeye. The high cost of shipping smaller amounts is why my minimum has always been 20 lbs. This year I am offering 10 lbs. just in case someone really cant handle 20 lbs.

On the Kickstarter page you will see the rewards on the right. The price you see there is the price of the reward, the price of the fish listed there. Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform so it's not a store. Although some people treat it that way. When you select a reward, you will see the shipping price in the next window then you can enter a credit card. You're now a backer. If the campaign is successfully funded (which it is as of today) then your card will be charged when the campaign ends (April 10). You will get your seafood on the date specified in the reward (Mid-May for all orders of halibut, sablefish, and snapper) and late September for all mixed orders and salmon.

If Kickstarter is an unappealing way to do this you can always preorder through my site after April 10. The only dates to keep in mind are the preorder deadlines: April 15 for halibut, sablefish, and snapper. June 15 for salmon. Preordering will be slightly different on my site, in that you will assemble your own order in 10 lb per species increments. Because of the way Kickstarter works, it made sense for me to assemble some rewards (mix and match species) I thought people would like. Preordering on my site will allow more freedom but regular prices. On Kickstarter there are some "Early Spawner Species" that are as much as $50 off.

I hope this helps. Kickstarter (and crowdfunding in general) is a pretty neat concept. I really like backing projects on Kickstarter and following the journey of folks following their entrepreneurial passions. Here is the link again to my project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/salmonandsable/salmon-and-sable

Traveler

Zac Culbertson né of Radius Pizza and Cowboy Cafe, right?

Yes, Zac formerly of Cowboy Cafe.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, dcs said:

I would guess this is the very cheap pink salmon fillets.  I sure hope they are not sending the higher quality species over to "China" for processing. 

Having grown up fishing in Alaska I'm always bothered by advertisements for fresh "Wild Alaskan Salmon" without the species name.  Of the five species (name salmon, I'm not including the two trouts that seem to be salmon these days) there is a HUGE difference in price, quality and taste.