Girlfriend's 30th Birthday Dinner - Special Occasion Meal To Pamper and Please

funkyfood

Hi all,

My lovely girlfriend is turning 30 next month.  We have been together for a while now and live together, so this isn't a celebration for someone whom I expect to be in my life for the short-term.  The night before her birthday, I want to take her out to a nice dinner.  Her favorite food is sushi ("I could eat it every night"), but she is quite an adventurous eater as well.  Recently, while at Kinship, when I was discussing the impending hoping of Metier and its likely cost (I guessed around $300 a person), she expressed disdain for such expense.  Still, she enjoys being pampered on her birthday, and this is a big one, so I want to take her somewhere special.  With that in mind, I'm debating between the below options (none of which any of us have previously been to).  Each has pros and cons:

• Komi: Great, cozy atmosphere, supposedly great food.  I've never been, but it seems like it is a bit heavier, with a mix of seafood and fish.  Definitely befitting of a special occasion.  Price tag may make her uncomfortable.
  • Pineapples & Pearls: We both love Rose's, but no one knows what the menu at P&P will be like.  Similar pricing to Komi, but she'll never see the bill.
  • Sushi Taro: She loves sushi, omakase counter is befitting of a special occasion.  We loved Sushi Capitol and I worry that Sushi Taro just isn't as good, despite the price tag (anyone been recently?)
  • Fiola Mare: No prix fix, so she may be uncomfortable ordering lots a la carte.  Beautiful room, heard wonderful things.  Lots of raw and cooked fish that she'll love, plus she likely wouldn't leave as overfull as she would with a tasting menu.

Any of these jump out to you? I'm leaning toward Fiola Mare as of now.  It's not as "cool" as the others, but it may just be up her alley.  I wish they'd have a prix fix menu so she would not have to worry about feeling like she is spending too much (despite my efforts to assuage her of those concerns).  Any other picks I'm missing?

I doubt you can go wrong with any of those (with the caveat that obviously I've never eaten at P&P, and it's been a few years on Sushi Taro). I'd throw Kinship into the mix as well. It's absolutely fantastic, and would absolutely work for a special meal. 

I agree re: Kinship, but we ended eating there on a whim on a Tuesday a few weeks ago, which may tarnish its "specialness".

The sushi counter at Sushi Taro is world class. I've never been to Sushi Capitol so I can't compare. The fact is, I haven't even been motivated to drive across town to eat at Sushi Capitol (because I don't believe the two are even comparable - but I could be way off base).

Interesting.  If it really is that great, that may be the best pick.  Thanks.

Go for the Sushi Taro omakase. Regular sushi Taro is not as good as Sushi Capitol, but the omakase counter is an awesome experience. Seki and Sushi Capitol are both very good, but the omakase will be an occasion that you will both probably remember for the rest of your lives.