Washington Square Park (1871) - Public Park in Greenwich Village Highlighted by the Washington Square Arch

DonRocks

You may wonder why on Earth I'm writing about Washington Square Park - a beautiful public park in Greenwich Village bisected by an imaginary continuation of 5th Avenue, with half of the park being in East Village, and the other half being in West Village.

Don't get me wrong, Washington Square Park is fantastic; it's just that this is only the second thread in the "Visiting New York" Forum, and we could probably come up with something with a bit more gravitas than this - you know what I'm saying: MoMA, One World Trade Center, etc.

Well, as it turns out, there's a banal reason I'm writing about it, and a profound reason I'm writing about it.

The banal reason is that I'm watching the 1967 version of "Barefoot in the Park," and guess what the park is? Yep. The fountain was originally built in 1852, and replaced in 1872.

The profound reason is the unmistakable mastery behind the photograph in <drum roll> *Google Maps* - yes, Google Maps.

Look at this *amazing* photograph of Washington Square Arch (1892) - the only comment necessary is pointing out that, yes, that's the Empire State Building (1931).

post-2-0-18890100-1458276582_thumb.png