Trendy, Good Restaurant for This Friday Night to Impress New York Gourmets

ktmoomau

Hey DRs,

I am looking for a good restaurant that is on the fun and trendy side to take my brother in law and his girlfriend on Friday night.  They are coming in from New York.  She is a real foodie, he is more along for the ride, but doesn't love really strange things.  It is a little late to get a reservation at some of the places I would like to try (Convivial, Kinship).  Thoughts?

KT

They are coming in from New York. She is a real foodie,

How about Momofuku?  jk jk!!

Thanks to a tip from eatruneat and MichaelBDC, at the Drift dinner, my wife and I hit up Ghibelina for happy hour on Friday night.  We'd never been there before and very much enjoyed the discounted food and drinks.  5 drinks and 2 pizzas only cost us $51 before tip.  It was totally hopping and lively, but I think you have to get there early to get a seat at the bar or window or out front.  We didn't get there as early as we liked, but lucked into 2 front window seats as other folks were leaving.  Pearl Dive Oysters was also hoppin' next door so it was a very lively little scene happening there.  If nothing else, you might be able to start the evening with a happy hour over there.

Also, if you want to still try and do Kinship, call up and get your name on the wait list.  I'm 2 for 2 in doing this only a day before each time!  The other option for Kinship is to get there early and get a bar seat or one of the three booths in the bar.  I think I actually preferred the bar booth to the regular restaurant seating......more secluded and private, although your guests may not be looking for that.

Zaytinya?  Lively and upbeat.

• Like 1

Hey DRs,

I am looking for a good restaurant that is on the fun and trendy side to take my brother in law and his girlfriend on Friday night.  They are coming in from New York.  She is a real foodie, he is more along for the ride, but doesn't love really strange things.  It is a little late to get a reservation at some of the places I would like to try (Convivial, Kinship).  Thoughts?

KT

I think you could get a booth at Kinship if you went before 6.

• Like 1

I seem to recommend the same places over and over, so sorry for the monotony, but trendy foodie and fun all scream Union Market to me, and Rappahannock is one of the city's best.  He can have a true Maryland crabcake with minimal filler, or local oysters, and the rest of the menu tilts esoteric for her.

Maketto is a great choice too.  I think your gang will take home some DC foodie bragging rights that will resonate with those in NYC.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, we are on the waitlist at Kinship, BIL doesn't get into Union Station until 6:30 which is too bad, because they had a 6:30 opening.  But they still have us on the list.  If that doesn't work, I think we will head over to Drift on 7th and grab a couple drinks in Shaw.