porcupine

What Are Your Favorite Movies, And Why?

Just found this great thread. I see a lot of my personal favorites already mentioned. I will review my collection and circle back. By favorites I will mean movies I can watch multiple times. 

Forgot a couple that I really liked, but haven't seen in ages so don't know if they hold up. 

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?  A break-out film for both Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio.  Depp (Gilbert of the title) a teenager in a nowhere town with a nothing job trying to hold together a family straining under the loads of grief and poverty, with a brother (DiCaprio) with developmental disabilities and morbidly obese housebound mother.

Bagdad Cafe -- an isolated desert gas station/diner/motel whose inhabitants/regulars are changed by the arrival of a German tourist after she leaves/is dumped by her husband nearby.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:34 PM, DonRocks said:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" for sure - I adore this film, and have seen it at least twice in the past couple of years. It's my very favorite Western, and I can't really think of a runner-up (it would probably be "The Shootist," which I also love, but that has some gaps; "Liberty Valance" is pure poetry). Interestingly, John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart are in both movies (click on both of those links to see why I contend that we're so much more than a "food website").

Would someone who doesn't know this, watch it, and give an honest opinion? I'm wondering if it's just me.

I have favorite directors and favorite scenes and films I admire and favorite movie-going experiences, but I don’t think I have favorite films.  I rarely rewatch films (or reread books, for that matter).  Don’t know whether that makes me weird (among cinephiles or bookaholics), or if there’s just a basic split between people who gravitate toward intensive vs extensive approaches (wrt particular pleasures).  Food (making and eating) and music are categories where I appreciate regularly revisiting favorite things.  Visual arts and games occupy a more middle ground for me — I appreciate both novelty and revisiting in those cases, with games closer to the movies end of the spectrum and visual arts closer to food. 

23 minutes ago, smithhemb said:

I don’t think I have favorite films.  I rarely rewatch films

I used to consider myself a cinephile before having a kid (now I rarely get to the theater and can't often stay awake to watch an entire film at home), but I'm the same way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smithhemb said:

I have favorite directors and favorite scenes and films I admire and favorite movie-going experiences, but I don’t think I have favorite films.  I rarely rewatch films (or reread books, for that matter).  Don’t know whether that makes me weird (among cinephiles or bookaholics), or if there’s just a basic split between people who gravitate toward intensive vs extensive approaches (wrt particular pleasures).  Food (making and eating) and music are categories where I appreciate regularly revisiting favorite things.  Visual arts and games occupy a more middle ground for me — I appreciate both novelty and revisiting in those cases, with games closer to the movies end of the spectrum and visual arts closer to food. 

Watch Babette's Feast if you haven't - I'm willing to bet that will be a favorite film.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:11 AM, DonRocks said:

This is a tough one for me as well, but one film that came to mind, especially after last night, is "Deliverance."

There are so many fims - not just films, but "moments within films," that would qualify them on this list for me - I'm going to continuously update this post over time.

I can't shake "Deliverance" from my Favorite Movies list.