Andrew Zimmern's Baltimore Crab Cakes

timtravels

For Easter I tried out Andrew Zimmerman's purported Baltimore Crabcake recipe.

Ever since I moved away from DC/MD area I've been craving a good crab cakes. Most often than not the restaurants I find have mediocre to atrocious interpretations of my all-time favorite dish.

A friend of mine sent me the recipe

Upon reading the ingredients I was rather unconvinced because of the lack of Old Bay seasoning, but decided to give it a try anyways.

The end result was totally amazing! And I'd really recommend to anyone who misses a good Maryland crab cake.

ps. Always use jumbo lump crab meat, don't get frozen ones.

Bon appetite !

post-11878-0-91061600-1459167252_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've tried a number of recipes, and most are excellent. His recipe for Tom Kha Gai is my go-to for that soup.

Note: I've found many of his recipes are a bit sweet for my tastes. Your experience may vary.

Time to look for some jumbo lump crab.

Great picture!

• Like 1

For Easter I tried out Andrew Zimmerman's purported Baltimore Crabcake recipe.

Ever since I moved away from DC/MD area I've been craving a good crab cakes. Most often than not the restaurants I find have mediocre to atrocious interpretations of my all-time favorite dish.

A friend of mine sent me the recipe

Upon reading the ingredients I was rather unconvinced because of the lack of Old Bay seasoning, but decided to give it a try anyways.

The end result was totally amazing! And I'd really recommend to anyone who misses a good Maryland crab cake.

ps. Always use jumbo lump crab meat, don't get frozen ones.

Bon appetite !

Lump crab cakes made with Maryland/Carolina crab meat are superior to Phillips and other brands which use Pacific Rim crab.  Honestly believe that the Narrows on Kent Island have the best "traditional" crab cakes anywhere. This is their recipe which uses local crab meat when available,

• Like 1

Old bay will overpower the sweet flavor of maryland crab if not used very judiciously. I would apply it afterwards. I use panko crumbs and cook the cakes in a cast iron skillet with a little butter. They also should be chilled for at least two hours before cooking.

• Like 2

Old bay will overpower the sweet flavor of maryland crab if not used very judiciously. I would apply it afterwards. I use panko crumbs and cook the cakes in a cast iron skillet with a little butter. They also should be chilled for at least two hours before cooking.

I just made some this way the other day, using panko.  I added one egg and an extra yolk I had from something else.  Made a killer horseradish sauce to go with them too.  No Old Bay involved anywhere.

• Like 1

This is equally true, IMHO, when having crabs the usual way.  I know this is fightin' words around the Mid-Atlantic, but I think Old Bay should never be used anywhere around crabs.  It overpowers the flavor of the meat, and renders them little more than an excuse to drink excessive quantities of beer.  To continue, the traditional "never boil crabs" admonition is equally bunk.  The best way to have crabs is exactly the same as the best way to have lobster.  Boil gently in salted water, and dip in melted salted butter.  The butter can have a bit of hot sauce if desired.

• Like 2

To continue, the traditional "never boil crabs" admonition is equally bunk.  The best way to have crabs is exactly the same as the best way to have lobster.  Boil gently in salted water, and dip in melted salted butter. 

Everything I have ever read on cooking lobster says it should be steamed, never boiled.

To me, a good crabcake tastes like crab and not filler so I try to use as little binder as possible. I should add that a little bacon or turkey bacon grease in the skillet along with the butter adds a nice flavor.  I pair my cakes with cornbread also from a cast iron skillet.