pras

Interesting and nice stuff.  Still a bit bewildering to me.  This is probably not something you can do over the internet and need to actually go to a reputable store and buy it the old fashioned way.  The light it produces is also important as there currently are no hardwired lights in the two rooms.  The journey begins.  Thank you for the suggestion.

This is the Brewmaster.  I think I first saw it in a restaurant or bar in New Orleans.  I had no idea who made it so I did lots of digging around.  As there were no local Fanimation dealers  (when I bought this years ago), I had to shop online, and hired someone to do the installation (his name is Carlos Schirmer, who seems still in business but now is in Culpepper).

post-4391-0-82712900-1459215670_thumb.jp

• Like 1

+1 on The Modern Fan Company and Big Ass Fans. We have used both in our house and are pleased with them.

I've heard that Big Ass Fans uses very aggressive sales tactics, although to be honest, I can't remember where I heard that.

One thing that's very important to me is my kitchen fan, which shuts off my smoke detector within seconds - I'm not sure if having a reversible switch has anything to do with this or not, but with one, you can get air circulating without a direct draft coming down upon you (for all I know, this is a standard feature on all fans - it wouldn't surprise me if it was).

Especially on high speed, having a quiet (especially in the bedroom), well-installed fan that doesn't shake back-and-forth, instilling fear of a Vic Morrow-type incident is imperative, although I suspect that has more to do with installation than the actual fan; still, the blades need to be evenly cut to avoid shaking, I would assume, so buying "the cheapest of the cheap" is probably not a good idea.

I'm not sure if having a reversible switch...

Which reminds me, the one thing I don't like about Modern Fan Co. products is the location of the reverse switch.  In one model it's inside the housing which means you have to get a screwdriver or something to change it (I don't remember exactly, because I haven't done it in 5 years, because it was such a pain).

And yes, having it properly balanced is imperative.  This is more difficult to do the longer the rod on which it hangs (which makes total sense from a basic physics perspective).

When choosing a fan, make sure you have enough clearance for a tall person to walk under - if a room has a low ceiling, look at flush-mount options (I think that's what they're called).  If a room has a very tall ceiling, look at extension rods, but again be sure it's balanced.

Choose the diameter that best suits the size of the room (many models will come with different blade lengths for this reason).

On 3/28/2016 at 2:35 PM, pras said:

So, I need to get a couple ceiling fans installed in our new house and the selection is a bit bewildering.  Does anyone have insight into what brand/style is the best and if you need to buy say a Casablanca over a Hunter?  While price is a consideration, longevity and value or more important to me.

And? And??

"Ceiling Fans 101" and "Fan FAQS" on fanmanlighting.com

PS - Would you dislike me if I told you that Hunter owned Casablanca?

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

And? And??

"Ceiling Fans 101" and "Fan FAQS" on fanmanlighting.com

PS - Would you dislike me if I told you that Hunter owned Casablanca?

So we went with Hunter, and yes, I know that Hunter owns Casablanca, but Casablanca is supposed to be higher end.  For our purposes the Hunter fans have been good.  They are virtually silent, which is very nice.

I also like that fact that 3 years later this thread still had you on your feet with anticipation!

• Like 1