Depends.  Pork or beef?  Spicy or non-spicy?  Annandale, Centerville, or some place in MD?

We go to Anan-Gol for spicy marinated pork (the spicy pork in Super-H in Fairfax is almost as good though it's not cooked at your table...just so you know).  We like Kogiya but it can be totally crowded and almost impossible to get a seat.  Honey Pig Gooldaegee is good now and then.  I think that might have something to do with phases of the moon.

Escoffier--What are your thoughts on Yechon?

Great Duk Mandu Guk.  My standard for that at every other Korean restaurant.  BBQ is so-so.  They have sushi but it's way better at other Korean places (Momo or Yamazato in Alexandria for example),  the hot pots are good, the banchan varies.  A good spot to go to when you are out late and don't want to eat the emaciated hot dogs at 7-11.

• Like 2

Lighthouse Tofu can always be relied upon, though a rather limited menu.

The seafood soo doo boo is one of my favorites, but Lighthouse isn't really in our regular "go-to" places.  Now Gom Ba Woo is.  If you go to Gom Ba Woo, try the mandu and the haemool paejun.  Both are excellent but are obviously not BBQ.

Kogiya is current favorite but like Escoffier said it can be hard to get into and the wait long even on weeknights. Lighthouse Tofu is reliable but not as festive one would like for a Korean BBQ experience. Honey Pig is good for what it is, usually no wait quick service BBQ. 

Kogiya is the best bet, but it's merely passable. The marinated meats are really too sweet, but that's true of most bbq in the area. There isn't great korean bbq in the dmv. Among Koreans, we like Nakwon. But only for samggypseol. (That's where I go with my embassy friends and other out of towners with traditional Korean palates ... not necessarily the place to go if you have an Americanized palate)

--- 

To Sok Jip (Escoffier)
Nak Won (Escoffier)

This is not in Annandale, but I cast my vote for the to-shi-sal at Hwa Gae Jang Tuh in Rockville.  It is hanger steak cut into thickish slices with a less noticeable marinade, so it is more like eating galbi than bul-go-gi, but with less fat and sugar (it seems, at least to me) than galbi.  It's my favorite type of Korean BBQ, and for whatever reason, I never see this cut at any other Korean restaurant.

On 4/14/2016 at 2:26 PM, tobychun said:

This is not in Annandale, but I cast my vote for the to-shi-sal at Hwa Gae Jang Tuh in Rockville.  It is hanger steak cut into thickish slices with a less noticeable marinade, so it is more like eating galbi than bul-go-gi, but with less fat and sugar (it seems, at least to me) than galbi.  It's my favorite type of Korean BBQ, and for whatever reason, I never see this cut at any other Korean restaurant.

Now that's a thought for the hanger steaks currently sitting in my fridge! 

22 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Saw someone recommend Nak Won on Facebook (Washington DC Foodies).  Anyone been?

It has been a few years, but I have been to Nak Won a number of times. My daughter attended Fairfax HS, and one of her friend's mom owns Nak Won. (I do not have any Korean heritage, and I've never even been to Korea, but I enjoy many Korean dishes. Read: I am not an expert).

We enjoyed every visit to Nak Won, and it seemed to be a favorite with the local Korean community. They also operate(d) a catering business next door which seemed popular.

That's not much to go on, but I'd certainly recommend Nak Won.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to 9292 Korean BBQ and Puzukan Tan recently.  9292 has AYCE and Puzukan Tan has various combinations.  Since we don't pig out, Puzukan is actually a better deal (price-wise) and we end up with 4 proteins (each combo is 4 proteins) whereas we usually only get 3 while doing AYCE.  Both joints have corn cheese - not my thing but apparently very popular.  Both places also serve steamed eggs, again not my thing.