Problems with the New Invision Version Upgrade

DonRocks

I just did a little testing with one of my other machines, and unfortunately the Delete Cookies button does not affect the outdated "www.donrockwell.com" cookies; it only affects the current ".donrockwell.com" cookies. You'll still have to either delete those cookies by hand, or clear all cookies.

One thing I've noticed is that if I turn off my laptop (actually power it down), then turn it back on again, I'm signed on as an anonymous user.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did a little testing with one of my other machines, and unfortunately the Delete Cookies button does not affect the outdated "www.donrockwell.com" cookies; it only affects the current ".donrockwell.com" cookies. You'll still have to either delete those cookies by hand, or clear all cookies.

I heard back from Invision about this one:

---

"Yes.. No way around that one, i'm afraid. The older cookies just won't be used, but they will sit around until they're cleared."

When I was out of town, and tried to sign on using my brother's computer, every time I attempted a post, I got signed off without the post going through. Very frustrating--I could read but not chime in to the discussion.
O-O-O-H. That's a problem when it comes to YOU. I hope you NOW will consider posting at whatever sites strike your very frustrated fancy. :P

A number of these bugs have been fixed...if you are still having problems (as listed above or otherwise), either re-post them here or PM me. I'm going to maintain an informal list of oustanding issues so we can work with invision to get back to the functional state of yore.

Also, happy new years, everybody. Be safe.

I am not able to send messages. I was only 36% full and I just deleted a bunch of messages that I am now down to 25% full. I am still getting this message;

The following errors were found

Your Personal Messenger box is full. You have reached the limit set for this board. You will need to delete some of your currently saved messages from either your inbox, or your saved items folder.

This personal message has not been sent

I was able to save it in unsent messages, so I will try to send again later.

I am not able to send messages. I was only 36% full and I just deleted a bunch of messages that I am now down to 25% full. I am still getting this message
I've found that if you deselect "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" it'll go through. Only stumbled on this "workaround" in the last 10 minutes. :P

I also don't get email notification of new PM messages. :D

Okay I'm sending in a problem report to Invision about the PMs.

Here's their response:

Hello,

This was a bug that was fixed in IPB 2.2.1, upgrading to the newest version will resolve the error.

Thank you,

So I'll request an upgrade. When we upgraded last time, the board was down for a half-hour or so.

Cheers,

Rocks

We were upgraded to Invision Version 2.2.1 last night. In theory, the "Sending PMs" problem should be fixed, but who knows, and now there may be another set of new problems. Please continue to report here, especially anything you notice that's different than what you noticed on Friday. Cheers, Rocks.

When viewing my own user profile, whatever scripting they've done to figure out how wide the three columns should be doesn't work under the Safari browser - the middle "Content" column ends up with the width of the entire window the first time, which causes a horizontal scrollbar. Subsequent reloads causes it to render somewhat narrower, but still maybe a hundred or so pixels too wide.

This is browser-specific. It renders properly on the same machine under Firefox. It also doesn't occur when I visit other users' profiles.

When composing a post, clicking the italics button inserts both the begin and end italics symbols, with the cursor positioned after the latter. Then I have to move the cursor with the left arrow key back one position to add the text between the begin and the end. A minor annoyance, certainly, but it used to work correctly: click the button, type the text, click the button again.

When viewing my own user profile, whatever scripting they've done to figure out how wide the three columns should be doesn't work under the Safari browser - the middle "Content" column ends up with the width of the entire window the first time, which causes a horizontal scrollbar. Subsequent reloads causes it to render somewhat narrower, but still maybe a hundred or so pixels too wide.

This is browser-specific. It renders properly on the same machine under Firefox. It also doesn't occur when I visit other users' profiles.

Invision's response:

"Hello,

Would you mind adding this a bug report on http://forums.invisionpower.com ?

I'm fairly sure I recall this being reported previously with a different browser, and that it's already being fixed, but if you post it the developers can confirm."

When composing a post, clicking the italics button inserts both the begin and end italics symbols, with the cursor positioned after the latter. Then I have to move the cursor with the left arrow key back one position to add the text between the begin and the end. A minor annoyance, certainly, but it used to work correctly: click the button, type the text, click the button again.

Response: "This is normal function in IPB 2.2.. Tell the user to highlight the text they wish to bold, italicize, or underline, and then click the button."

Invision's response:

"...I'm fairly sure I recall this being reported previously with a different browser, and that it's already being fixed, but if you post it the developers can confirm."

I'll post directly to Invision's bug forum. I'm 99% certain that what is happening is that their image thumbnailing script is failing in the profile view. When it renders properly, a particularly wide image I linked is thumbnailed and shrunken to 67% of its original width. When it renders improperly, the image gets embedded at full width, along with a half-hearted scrollbar for that post.

An uncommon but "normal" combination of things have to occur to trigger the bug (which happened to be satisfied by my recent Tokaji posting). Hillvalley, would you mind clicking on *my* profile and seeing if it renders correctly for you? Thanks.

Response: "This is normal function in IPB 2.2.. Tell the user to highlight the text they wish to bold, italicize, or underline, and then click the button."
That's kind of pathetic. It should work either way, just as it does in practically every other Windows application that involves text composition, such as Word, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, Outlook, etc. When you want to italicize something already present, highlight and click. When you want to start italicizing what you're about to type, click to turn it on, type whatever it is, click to turn it off. Calling it "normal function" doesn't excuse poor design.

Anyone else now (in the last few days) getting two PM notification emails for every one PM? :lol:

So it seems that this is an intermittent problem (mktye and i just traded a few PMs and only got single emails for each)...if anybody else sees this issue, lemme know (post here or PM)

Not that it is essential, but I can't add emoticons to my replies anymore. The array of emoticons that used to appear at the side of the reply space is no longer there, and the smiley face button above the space does not function.

Any other mac users seeing this? I don't have one to test on, so I can't speculate as to the cause.

It's been playing "groundhog day" with new postings for weeks now...seemingly at random, it'll take threads that I caught up with hours ago (sometimes a day ago?), previously marked with the grey "fully read" icon, and mark it as having new unread content. Just now, it did this to a thread where the last item is a message that I posted nearly four hours ago.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the site no longer sends me an email when I get a PM. It used to, and, yes, I double-checked to make sure that I have that indicated in the preferences under my controls.

No biggie. But if someone PMs me, don't feel bad if I don't get right back to you! :lol:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the site no longer sends me an email when I get a PM. It used to, and, yes, I double-checked to make sure that I have that indicated in the preferences under my controls.

No biggie. But if someone PMs me, don't feel bad if I don't get right back to you! :lol:

Old IT trick - no idea if it will work. Turn the option off. Save your changes. Exit the settings page. Go back in to the settings page. Turn the option back on. Save your changes.

Sometimes the flag is set improperly even though it represents the desired setting, and toggling the option can kick it back on.

Congratulations if you got something to go through as a PM that's 19,000+ characters long.
I sent it to myself to make sure it went through. No problem.

However, the board appears to not be able to accept attachments that have parentheses in. Or may be commas in. I didn't test all possibilities before settling on 'Ackerman 4 2' as a comma-less, paren-less attachment filename.

:lol: Don't know where to put this, but NEVER experienced audio spam before on browser. When I clicked on my bookmark to return to this site, before logging in, I first heard loud sighing of some sort and then a bit of a television (?) promo on the new season of "The Hill" :unsure: (not sure). Something about Lauren not getting a pass... I just deleted cookies...if not before the window with links to Italian recipes and the news about this weekend's soccer match changed to Tractorhouse.com.

Happened to anyone else before?

:lol: Don't know where to put this, but NEVER experienced audio spam before on browser. When I clicked on my bookmark to return to this site, before logging in, I first heard loud sighing of some sort and then a bit of a television (?) promo ...

Likely an onExit script or similar from the page you were visiting right before clicking on the DR.com bookmark...sort of a parting shot from the other site.

Just had problems posting. Bottom of browser frame told me it was in the middle of contacting this site after I clicked the button to deliver the post. However, I got a message from my browser saying the site could not be found.

I simply back-tracked, found my post intact, and posted successfully.

All of a sudden, I have to "log in" almost every time I click on this site. Which means that I can't just look at the PMs people are sending to me through Yahoo mail. The log-in function is automatic, but it's kind of a pain, now that everybody in the universe wants to eat Tom Power's cassoulet. Just sayin'

If you're experiencing the "login" problem, try deleting your existing cookies and logging in once more...I was seeing the issue yesterday afternoon, and I deleted all of my cookies around 8:30pm. Haven't seen the problem since (although I'll post here if it recurs)

bookluvingbabe, what problem are you referring to? the login thing?

The site is intermittently forgetting that I am logged in. I am reluctant to delete my cookies because (i) deleting all cookies introduces a world of inconvenience for me, because much of my online activity depends on them; and (ii) I am just a caveman, frightened and confused by the prospect of trying to figure out how to delete specific cookies (and figuring out which ones to delete). I guess I'd rather deal with logging in more often.

...frightened and confused by the prospect of trying to figure out how to delete specific cookies...

No need to fear, if the site was working well for you before. Don's recent tweak appears to use the same cookies as last week, so you can safely use the "Delete cookies set by this board" button mentioned upthread by hillvalley. You'll find it on the topmost page, nestled just above the "Board statistics" section. Close all other dr.com windows before resetting cookies.

No need to fear, if the site was working well for you before. Don's recent tweak appears to use the same cookies as last week, so you can safely use the "Delete cookies set by this board" button mentioned upthread by hillvalley. You'll find it on the topmost page, nestled just above the "Board statistics" section. Close all other dr.com windows before resetting cookies.

That was liberating. Thanks. (Somehow I missed that post.) Now we'll see if it sticks.