Where Did You Dine?

Past two weeks: salads at Holy Cross Hospital. FWIW, they have a very nice salad bar in the cafeteria. (Dad needed emergency surgery, but is doing well now and recuperating at home)

Much needed short getaway vacation: Greek City Family Restaurant in Ramsey NJ. (See post on egullet) Absolutely highly recommend if you are in the area. Worth the short drive from Paramus or other nearby NJ or Hudson Valley, NY cities.

Since Thursday...

Dinner at Dino--the wild boar pasta was terrific as always. Wife and I split the three-cheese polenta with mushrooms--what a satisfying dish.

Yesterday for lunch, chicken biryani at Ghar-e-Kabab in Silver Spring. This little Indian/Nepali restaurant continues to turn out some really good food. (If you haven't done so, check out their lunch buffet--the choices are limited, but what is served is oh-so-good. It's the only Indian buffet I really like, other than Woodlands.) Dinner was burgers at our house--I mix in some Worchestershire sauce and a little aged balsamico when forming the patties, then cook them over wood charcoal and mesquite chips. Some sweet corn-on-the-cob on the side and fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Today I had an early lunch at Pho 75 in Rockville--#12. That broth has so much depth and richness--still the best!

*added for definition

**Awaiting details in the appropriate threads...but please expound on this one first!

Pan roasted black grouper filet, braised summercrisp lettuce, a faux pho brodo of duck and country ham stock, aromatics and thai basil/cilantro. I think i out a duck skin cracker on this one. the 69 was a less than subtle reference that was meant to elicit laughter for don and koji.

La Sandia in Tyson's Mall last Monday evening. It may end up being more successful than Pauli Moto's, but it definitely will not be better, and that isn't saying much since Pauli Moto's was pretty bad. Nothing more than a regular Tex Mex place, but with higher prices and a menu that reads a bit better, but really isn't that different and, at times, much worse. Our server tried to upsell us on everything, all of the time. We would order a $12 margarita and he would recommened one over $20 because, "it is better." One of the guys that I was with asked for combination fajitas and were told that they can't do it. What do you mean "can't!?" You sell chicken fajitas for $14.95 and steak fajitas for $15.95. You give the guy half an order of chicken, half an order of steak, charge him $18.95, he is happy and you make more money.

This place will be successful, it was pretty crowded on a Monday night, in spite of itself. It is maddening sometimes, isn't it!?

Quick roundup of the weekend's eats:

Thursday: Dinner at 2Amys. Went with the Abruzzese and English Pea and Prosciutto crostini, which unfortunately came out of order, but didn't make either of them any less delicious. The crostini was particularly excellent and a very festive looking item. A particular noteworthy occurrence during dinner was the poor waiter who tripped on the stairs on the way up and sent half his very fully-stacked tray of wine-glasses flying and crashing down the stairs. The crazy thing was how one just kept hearing the shattering and tinkling of glasses for a good 15 seconds or more. It must've felt like an eternity to the poor kid.

Saturday: Late lunch at Ray's Hell Burgers and the indoctrination of my Franco-Greek cousin into the cult of the hamburger. 10 oz. of freedom with gruyere and I'd say this one was a score for America.

Sunday: Cantler's in Annapolis for steamed crabs and scenery. Also, in addition to our delightful crustaceans, we got to see what appeared to be a possible BUI (boating under the influence - pronounced "buoy" har har) on Cantler's pier with an injured boater doing a perp walk.

Thursday - CD cafe in Solomons - still not as consistently good as it was a year ago or so. I had a down meal here (bad prep, flavors lacking), especially compared to when they were one of the best places in the area.

Friday - Vincezo's Grill - Probably my new favorite in the area. Consistently good food, and consistent is an issue down here. Stopped in for appetizers and a glass of wine at the bar after the rain cancelled our outdoor plans. They have a beautiful view and we could watch the local fireworks while toasting the country with their house made limoncello. http://www.vincenzosgrill.com/

Saturday - Brunch at The Heights for a pretty good Crab Cakes Benedict and the requisite Bloody Mary.

Last night - Dinner at Joe's Noodle House for the mouth numbingly delicious H20 (Fish Filet & Soft Bean Curd in Szechwan Sauce). Though the bean curd was a little too soft and so it was a bit difficult to eat with chopsticks. We also got the Steamed Buns with Pork Filling, which were okay, but disappointing as I was expecting more juice inside.

Friday night - Ambrosia Grille in Rockville. Perfectly decent, if not spectacular Greek food, but they are just two blocks from Montgomery College, where Rockville has it's fireworks display. It's very convenient to have dinner there about 8, get out at 9 or so, and walk 5 minutes to the grounds. Avoids all of the traffic after the show, too! The owner is very defensive of his parking lot starting about 8:30, but very friendly to those who dine in before the show.

Mykonos is a much better (and more expensive) Greek restaurant only a mile away, and we're there far more often than Ambrosia Grille. I don't know the entire sordid history, but there used to be one Ambrosia Restaurant in Rockville, and I guess the two partners split (doesn't sound like it was a friendly breakup), so now there's "Ambrosia Grille" up by Montgomery College, and "The Original Ambrosia" at Montrose Crossing.

I like AG better than TOA, but there's not THAT much separating them. They both do a decent job on moussaka, spanikopita, pastitsio, etc. AG I think does a better job on the appetizer "spreads" like hummus, taramasalata, melitzanosalata, etc. Neither does a great job on gyros and souvlaki. The lamb dishes at AG are pretty good (I particularly like the Lamb Youvetsi - baked with tomato and orzo pasta), so I guess that's what draws us there. They're more kid-friendly than Mykonos, and as I said before, substantially cheaper, and they never have a wait for a table (at Mykonos, at prime dining time especially on weekends, reservations are a must).

My wife was feeling a little better after severe allergies kept her home the last few days, and she was craving a bowl of Pho. My tennis game was rained out, so Pho 75 (Rockville) it was. They close at 8, but there was still a pretty good sized crowd at 7:30. Regular #1 was spot-on, as always.

Let's see ... here are some highlights, starting in a parking lot on July 4th:

Bud Light at Thirsty Bernie (was that or Miller Lite or Becks)

Ray's Hell-Burger with Vermont Cheddar

Strawberry cupcake from Baked and Wired

Lousy, Weaver-tasting turkey sandwich (on decent bread) at Baguette Republic

Another Korabella at Dino

Chilled Pea Soup at Equinox

Fantastic Pan-Roasted Chicken at The Source (Grazie, FT and MT!)

Crummy Fried Ipswich Clams at Hank's Oyster Bar

French 76 and Meat Loaf at The Majestic

Tandoori Chicken Tikka at La' Jawab

Life-Changing Papri Chaat at Restaurant Eve (anyone who downplays the importance of sourcing may wish to try this, and reevaluate their flawed theories)

Ceviche at Pesce (excellent second time in a row)

Rocks Burger at Burger Joint (had to)

Kitfo at the now-overrated Etete (you heard it here first)

Last night - Dinner at Bistrot Du Coin. Pâté de campagne Maison for the app and the Monkfish Medallions for the entree. I really like this place, but it seems they could do a better job with preserving the the wine bottles used for the "by the glass" orders. We tried a couple and they tasted like they had been a bit oxidized.

Can you really call this a "highlight"?

Can you really call this a "highlight"?

I could have had a Miller and called it a "highlife." :lol:

(Bud Light is the only thing I had there, actually, so I guess the highlight was the singer who looked like Chris Cunningham).

I just received this PM:

damn dude you get around like a hooker at a sailor convention!!!!!!

want to piggy back on ya one day

come by ill buy ya a beer

Hey I'll consider the beer but I'll take a PASS on the piggy-back! :lol:

Highlights from my 2 and a half day, 4th of July romp through DC:

-1 Saltena and 1 Turkey and Spring onion Empanada from Julia's (perfect drunken AND hungover treat)

-Assortment of slices from Pete's Apizza (winner was the Sausage and onion)

-Hell Burger with Amish Cheddar, bacon, grilled onions, lettuce and tomato (half with mustard half without)

-Too many fantastic things to list at Cork (will throw a shout out to the Asparagus, Pea soup and Flat iron though, how the HELL do they get a flat-iron steak so tender??)

-Way over-priced cocktails at Tabaq (my little sister wanted to see the roof deck)

-3 pounds of assorted Mayorga coffee beans

-Teaism for a French toast, salmon and eggs breakfast with a chai shake/salty oat cookie combo to be consumed during the sad drive back to NJ...

Taqueria Poblano, Arlington.

cebollitas

3 tacos al pastor (little dry but tasty)

pork taquitos (yummy)

1 fish taco

1 l.a. crispy beef taco

cheese quesadilla (large, 9y.o.)

cheese quesadilla (small, 7y.o.)

1 diet coke

5 lime coolers

2 baskets of chips and salsa

and

Mayan chocolate fritters

$65.something...

It was all pretty good, and they have new menus

I just got a physical and found out that my cholesterol is a little in the "strokey" area, so no Hell Burgers, Dino Lasagna with Wild Boar, or fried shit at Blue Duck.

Instead:

Sushi at Wasabi downtown- has the menu EVER changed since it opened? I will keep going back because it is quick and cheap and I love the chicken antichucho but damn, change it up, yo.

Good Salmon on top of peas and rice at Ceiba

A chicken shwarma salad at the Art Gallery Grill on Eye Street. I love that little ol waiter that grabs your arm and tells you about the specials.

I want a cheeseburger. And cheese. And fat.

Went to Wagamama last night and was unimpressed. I had the very bland ginger chicken udon. Only the barest hint that someone had waved some ginger near the plate. Friend had miso ramen and it was also way underseasoned. Given the price, I'll be exploring the many other cheaper noodle options in the area before considering going back.

Breakfast at the Cracker Barrel outside the entrance to Raleigh-Durham International Airport. The only other option was Waffle House and client's wife rejected that. Of course, right after we ordered she said "you know, I have gotten sick every time I have eaten at Cracker Barrell!" I was, like, "um, thanks for the info." It was nothing special (at all), but I made my flight on time.

Breakfast at the Cracker Barrel outside the entrance to Raleigh-Durham International Airport. The only other option was Waffle House and client's wife rejected that. Of course, right after we ordered she said "you know, I have gotten sick every time I have eaten at Cracker Barrell!" I was, like, "um, thanks for the info." It was nothing special (at all), but I made my flight on time.

The only meal to eat at Cracker Barrel is breakfast....and best you limit your choices to eggs, biscuits (not great, but OK), sausage, bacon, and pancakes (a place that serves warmed minis of real maple syrup can't be all bad!). Like you said, nothing special. But when it's 7 AM and you're on the road and hungry, it beats most other options.

Highlights over the past week:

Banh Mi Paté Cha at Huong Binh, Eden Center

Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho at Poste

Tofu Tindaloo at Indebleu

Ravi Kabob Special (chicken, ground beef kabobs)

LittleWing Cheese Plate at Old Hickory Steakhouse

BLT (the drink, not the panini) at PX

Vegetarian Tasting Menu at CityZen

Large Bowl of #1 (the works) at Pho 88, Beltsville

Chile Relleno at Buck's Fishing and Camping

Victory Prima Pils at Comet Ping Pong (during a 21-2 victory)

Tofu Delight sandwich at Kasha's Kitchen

Salt-Cured Moulard Duck Breast at Teatro Goldoni

Garlic Chicken Press at Tarbouch Mediterranean Grill

Iced Americano at Murky Coffee

Beef Empanada at Pizza Zero

Grilled Lamb Minute Steak at New Heights

Falafel at Max's Kosher Cafe

Grilled Asparagus at Cork

Seemingly everyone not at the beach was at Open City this morning. Parking, as usual, was awfully hard to find (I ended up on 29th Street). I got my usual breakfast - French toast with Nutella and bacon - and my friend had the Open City omelette which he seemed to enjoy.

Later, lunch consisted of one perfect slice of pepperoni pizza from Vace.

ditto... 45 minute wait at OpenCity at 11 this morning.... we walked by The Diner on the way there... and it seemed to have a significantly shorter wait... but we were already meeting another couple there who was driving (and parking). French toast was good... and bacon is surprisingly very good here. The running theory is it gets so crowded here for brunch because except for events like Mother's Day, etc, brunch is not something people go far for... they stick in the neighborhood (within a few blocks), and in Woodley Park, there's just not many brunch options at that price point... compared to places like Dupont Circle. Basically, compared to dinner, brunch isn't an "event"... it's a lazy Sunday, little advanced planning or effort, kind of thing. But there is the dim sum exception to this rule....

Matchbox on Friday evening before the fringe festival... another 40 minute wait.. but once you get seated, the service was quite fast... Q Special pizza... wasn't the best effort I've had there. Didn't know they started to offer gouda cheese on the miniburgers... but will need to go back to get that with others besides my non-red meat eating gf.

...meant to go to tryst, but no seats— walked by the diner, even worse. What to do? We darted across the street and up the alley and over to Cashions, where we were lead to a nice table and had a very fine brunch of oj, omelette, bacon, and bison burger.

The busboy who had been bribed by Nick's parents to take pictures of us together was there, and happy to see us. (We had had one date there early on, and the entire staff ratted him out to his parents, who then demanded to know who was this GIRL nick was taking to dinner. The parents met me before we went back, but the busboy is still happy— I expect they paid in advance.)

Too bad I am still full from dinner this evening; I'd hoped to get a dessert waffle there this evening.

Highlights since last Friday:

Greek Omelet at Lilit Cafe

Northern Neck Sweet Corn and Potato Ravioli at Mendocino Grille

Hugo's Mojito at Citronelle Lounge

Ray's Hell-Burger with Aged Cheddar and Bacon

Traditionally louched Lucid Absinthe at Johnny's Half Shell

Nicoise Salad at Marvin

Franziskaner Hefeweissbier at The Saloon

Baked Dark-meat / Fried Drumstrick Chicken Dinner at Oohhs and Aahhs

1998 Daniel Rion Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" on repeat visit to Citronelle Lounge (a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do)

Large Classic Yogurt with Kiwi, Strawberries, and Mango at Tangysweet

Cheese-Stuffed Kulcha at Passage To India

Friday dinner at WestEnd - salmon rillettes (great!) and skate in brown butter. Either skate is a very delicate flavored thing and sauces tend to overpower it, or this particular one was not very flavorful.

Saturday lunch at Raku-Bethesda - Huge bowl of red curry udon soup with shrimp. Beyond hearty meal and a good value at that. Absolutely loaded with shrimp and vegetables. Also had the "Seoul" Train roll of tuna and kimchee. No spice at all, but still kinda tasty (or I was just really hungry)

Sunday dinner at Rustico - hearts of romaine salad with framoboise onions + grilled shrimp. Shrimp were nice and plump, and the onions on that salad do me in everytime, I love them. Splits a vegan pizza there with my buddy too w/ a chickpea crust, spinach, and mushrooms. That kind of crust is a bit too dense for me, but the crispiness was nice.

Ruan Thai for my Nam Kao Sod fix.

On Sunday we were going to go to Bombay in White Oak to try their non buffet menu but unfortunatly we hit in the afternoon deadzone when it was closed so we tried the chinese place next door. They had spicy wantons and shreded pork with dried tofu, both good.

Cà phê sữa đá (iced coffee) at Pho Saigon, Eden Center

Insalata Composta (with local asparagus) at Etrusco

1966 Leacock Bual Madeira at New Heights

Heirloom Tomatoes with Kalamata Olives and Feta at Proof

Ray's Hell-Burger with Vermont Cheddar

Yellowtail Hamachi Carpaccio with Cantaloupe and Cucumber at Mendocino Grille (line up for this)

Vichyssoise "2008" at Citronelle Terrace

Local Corn Custard, Smoked Peaches, Jalapeno, and Thyme at The Oval Room (a work of art on a plate)

Campari and Soda at Paper Moon (no questions allowed)

Spike's 5 Napkin at Good Stuff Eatery

Whole Roasted Chicken at El Pollo Rico

Lobster Sashimi (in shell) at Sushi Ko

This past week:

Chihuahua at Lost Dog Cafe

Seared Barnegat Light Sea Scallops with Shiitake Rice Porridge at (the solidly three-star) Corduroy

Eel Donburi at Asia Nine

Chocolate Maya at Co Co Sala

Macrobiotic Tofu (lovely name) at Sunflower

Spit-Roasted Katsikaki For Two With Homemade Pita (the greatest Indian, yes, Indian, dish I've ever eaten) at the incredible Komi

Pan-Roasted Chicken at Grapeseed

BBQ Cornish Hen at Yoder's Bar-B-Que (in the Dutch Country Farmers' Market)

Tillamook Cheddar & Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Roasted Tomato Soup at Town Hall

Victory Prima Pils at BreadSoda

Grilled Cheese Panino at EatBar

Bacon Naan (mmmmm!) at New Heights (cheers John)

Pinkus Ur Pils (perfectly poured by Darrell) at Bedrock Billiards

Wild Mushrooms with Tuscan Liver Sauce over Soft Polenta at Cashion's Eat Place

Slice of Homemade Lemon Cake at Arax Cafe

An amazing preview of Nathan Anda's Charcuterie soon to be offered at Tallula (welcome Andrew)

Pork Rib from Capital Q

Glass of Badoit Water at Bistrot du Coin

Salty Oat Cookie at Teaism

Last night was Il Pizzico in Rockville.

Appetizer: Carpaccia

Main Course: Rissotto of the day (had Figs and Pancetta in it = YUM!)

+1 had Shrimp and Scallops

Dessert: Tiramusu and Panne Cotta (sp?)

All in all, a very lovely meal. If I could do it again, we would have split the risotto and each gotten additional entrees, as the shrimp and scallops wasn't quite filling enough for the SO. It was our first time there and despite that, we were quite pleased.

Saturday: Low key meal at Carribean Feast (Curry Goat, Fried Snapper, Meat Pies (YUM), Coco Bread, Ginger Beer)

Friday: China Bistro - Delicious Mamas special dumplings and Beef/Celery dumplings, Scallion Pancakes Special (kind of bland, actually... not sure if they are supposed to be that way) and Almond Bubble Tea. (My first bubble tea experience, it was delish!)

Dinner at Montmartre. It was quite busy. Very good food. Not so very good service.

Belgian endive salad and hangar steak for me. Avocado and feta salad (greens-less) to start and then flatiron steak with Caesar salad for my husband. The Caesar had an interesting construction, kind of built on top of a wedge of romaine.

A friend and I drove up Rt. 97 to Gettysburg yesterday on his bike, and stopped for a surprisingly good club sandwich, slice of pie, and cup of coffee at Dunlap's Restaurant. What an utterly gorgeous day for a ride.

Heading today to Bear Creek Open Pit BBQ in Callaway, MD, and will report back.

Bear Creek isn't too far from 2 other SoMD classics - Scheibels and Courtneys (local dive places that reportedly have good food but lack a bit in atmosphere down the road in Ridge). Friends swear by Courtneys. Plus Evans just reopened (after Isabel rennovations) and has been getting good reports.

Evan's Seafood (16680 Piney Point Rd., Piney Point, 301-994-9944

Scheible's Crabpot Restaurant, 48342 Wynne Rd., Ridge, 301-872-5185; http://scheibles.homestead.com/ScheiblesRestaurant.html

Courtney's Seafood Restaurant, 48290 Wynne Rd., Ridge, 301-872-4403

both reviewed here sometime ago (some places are long gone, RIP Lighthouse): http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A...anguage=printer

Bear Creek isn't too far from 2 other SoMD classics - Scheibels and Courtneys (local dive places that reportedly have good food but lack a bit in atmosphere down the road in Ridge). Friends swear by Courtneys. Plus Evans just reopened (after Isabel rennovations) and has been getting good reports.
Thanks for the info! I remember Courtney's from trips down to Point Lookout in high school.

My ride today got postponed, so i opted for a trip to the portrait gallery and a very disappointing lunch at Poste.

Evan's Seafood (16680 Piney Point Rd., Piney Point, 301-994-9944

Scheible's Crabpot Restaurant, 48342 Wynne Rd., Ridge, 301-872-5185; http://scheibles.homestead.com/ScheiblesRestaurant.html

Courtney's Seafood Restaurant, 48290 Wynne Rd., Ridge, 301-872-4403

both reviewed here sometime ago (some places are long gone, RIP Lighthouse): http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A...anguage=printer

My first job as a cook was at Spinnakers @ Pt. Lookout Marina, Courtney's and Scheibles were our neighboors. A typical day began at Scheible's for the dirt cheap fisherman's breakfast, a morning fishing, then to Courtney's for a brilliant Fried Rockfish Sandwich and 10oz Budweiser, followed by dinner service at Spins. I can't believe someone else remembers these two gems. Often heard at the marina was the, "By God, I'ma gonna go down to Cohrtneez and get myself a fried rawckfish sandwich". Classic.

Angeethi - Herndon - Weekend Lunch/Brunch - our home away from home 2 weekends a month

Chibas - Vienna - Brazilian BBQ - beautiful place, tasty food too

Moorenkos - McLean - Sundaes at ten paces

Panera Bread - Herndon - Snackie - (Sometimes the carmel pecan coated Brownie cries out... Eat me.)

Burger King - Reston - Breakfast and lunches... (Hey, I wanted to drive thru I was in a rush! Also I was out of OJ!)

KFC/Taco Bell combo - Sterling - for a quickie lunch I wanted to try the new items they potato crisps (like chips) and the new chicken sandwich. Of course they messed up the order and they said the chicken was "off" (hebrew word for chicken _IS_ off :lol: ) so I ended up getting a grilled chicken sandwich and a corn on the cob which was okay enough.

Uptown Brick Oven Pizza - Herndon - Friday night - OMG YUM 1st time!

Bob's Noodle House - Rockville - Saturday - Very authentic style food we like Joe's noodle house too in the same area

Entemanns store to pick up some "specials" 3 boxes of junk for only 4.00 oy such a deal!!!!!

NEXT, I really REALLY would like to find a place where I can try a little bit of everything (sort of like a buffet or tapas or tasting menu) near Reston or Great Falls or Sterling or Vienna - a mezes or appetizer plate of goodies not a huge portion.

A day in Alexandria:

Cod and chips at Eamonn's: when they call large fries, i call a potato feast. Massive. Great stuff, but a bit messy for eating while driving.

Dinner and drinks at Vermillion. (full disclosure, I work at Rustico, in the same group) Great house-cured charcuterie (chicken parfait! country pate! saucisson-sec!) and a solid lineup of lounge menu stuff: hanger steak, softshell creb, braised pork sliders, and a nice cheese plate to finish. 60-Minute on tap.

Charcuterie, Tuna tartare, sweetbreads, day scallops at Restaurant Eve last Thursday with my sister--a home run!

Crispy fried squid, pickled ginger salad, fried fish cake salad, pork ahchochet, and spicy seafood with ham at Myanmar for lunch Friday.

Chef's choice sushi for two at Jasmine Garden for lunch Saturday.

A great couple of days with my sister visiting from Philly!