One Night at the Loew's Hotel in Midtown Village

reedm

Short notice trip to the area this weekend. Spending just one night downtown (Loews). I've never been to Philadelphia, so I'd appreciate a couple of suggestions somewhat close to the hotel. (Midtown?)

No real restrictions, but my wife is not as enthusiastic as I am about seafood, and casual attire is preferred. 

We're in Philadelphia fairly frequently and some of our favorites are:

Vedge: this is very near your hotel.  It's one of the top restaurants in Philly (but totally casual).  It's vegan and believe me, you will not miss the meat and there will be no seafood in sight.  Truly a fantastic, unique restaurant.

Fork: a bit further afield, but still close in Old City.  It's a fine dining restaurant serving what I would call American food, but I've seen plenty of people casually dressed there.

Amada: also in Old City.  An oldie, but a goodie.  Spanish tapas -- yeah, I know, been there, done that.  This restaurant is still our favorite in Philly and, frankly, I think it's better and more soulful than Jaleo.  You can have a fantastic octopus dish while your wife has something land-based.

Pizzeria Vetri: if you want to go extremely casual and eat really good pizza.  It's across the street from the Barnes Foundation.  We walked there from the Sofitel, which is probably the same distance as your hotel.

Two others have mentioned Zahav and it is a very good option as well (best hummus you'll ever have).  I just wanted to offer you a few more choices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Just go to Reading Terminal, walk around and try lots of stuff.  And then take a pint of hummus and some pita to go from Diznengoff (the hummus specialty store from Zahav, must be ordered in advance, see their website).  

I would go to Reading Terminal for *breakfast*. Last time I went, I stayed in the Loew's hotel also - it's a really nice place (and I'd *really* appreciate a review of it), and I didn't have a car. I remember trying several places, including Morimoto, but don't remember any really outstanding places within a couple of blocks. 

Consider Barbuzzo for dinner (they had, and may still have, a *great* pastry chef in Erin Stafford, and were also long-listed for a James Beard "Best New Restaurant" award in 2011) and Dutch Eating Place (spring for the real maple syrup with your blueberry pancakes, trust me) for breakfast, and if you've never tried scrapple, this is the place to start - you'll leave *stuffed*.

• Like 1

**Bump**

I'm headed to Philly for 2 days, one night in late December, and am wondering if there are updated suggestions for dinner. Note that location isn't really an issue, but I will have a (well-behaved) 5 yr old in tow.

And, if you'd care to convince me as to where i should get a cheesesteak, I'd love to hear your arguments! I prefer a well-chopped meat, which I believe points me in the direction of Dalessandro's (given what I've read). Still, while location isn't really an issue, I am curious to know if there's an equivalent more centrally located.

For a cheesesteak, I've always been partial to Jim's at 4th & South, which are in the same vein as Dalessandro’s.  But cheesesteaks are like relationships -- the first one you truly fall in love with will always be special, and the standard against which you judge all that come after.  NY style pizza is the same way.

I lived in Philly briefly in the 90s and make a point of going back a couple of times a year.  I always want to go Oyster House and Zahav.  Every time.  DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market is also a favorite.

All of these places are pretty obvious and highly touristy, but I still love them.  I guess Philly is more of a nostalgia trip for me than anything else.

• Like 1