dslee

Shouk, Fast-Casual, 100% Plant-Based, Modern Israeli Street Food on 6th and K Street in Mount Vernon Triangle

I made my introduction with Shouk's Falafel Bowl with add-on Schug, Harrisa and Hummus (not in photo). Crazy good especially with the Hummus, which takes it over the top. I can't go back to pita!  Next, I look forward to trying out the Falafel Bowl with 1/2 mixed greens and 1/2 rice & lentils.  Eating my veggies has never tasted so good.

494266381__dinnercopy.jpg.3cb44016fe103b86fd62edb403d6fbf5.jpg

• Like 5

On January 17, 2019, Shouk debuted BASTA, an Israeli street food stand in Union Market.  BASTA is offering 2 menu items:  Shawarma and Falafel.  Both can be served in a pita or in a bowl with rice & lentils or mixed greens.

Shawarma is a NEW menu item and a true game changer.  So crazy delicious that it surpasses the meat version.  I could eat this every day.  The photo below shows how It is brilliantly composed of Oyster Mushrooms, Pickled Green Cabbage, Cucumber & Onion Salad, Arugula, Tahini in a bowl with my choice of fresh mixed greens + add-on Schug.  Chef Dennis Friedman is genius!

_basta.jpg.80d87ec1e0d4058bd1d86ef03b0c6080.jpg

• Like 5

UPDATE:  SHOUK's Oyster Mushroom Shawarma is no longer available at BASTA in Union Market, but currently available at both SHOUK locations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslee said:

UPDATE:  SHOUK's Oyster Mushroom Shawarma is no longer available at BASTA in Union Market, but currently available at both SHOUK locations.

We went to Mount Vernon last Saturday, looking for the Shawarma, but they didn't have it (it wasn't on the menu, and the cashier said they had it only at Union Market).

However, the Falafel (both in a bowl, on rice-and-lentils, and in a pita) and the Hummus were terrific.

IMG_0048.jpgIMG_0049.jpgIMG_0050.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0052.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

We went to Mount Vernon last Saturday, looking for the Shawarma, but they didn't have it (it wasn't on the menu, and the cashier said they had it only at Union Market).

However, the Falafel (both in a bowl, on rice-and-lentils, and in a pita) and the Hummus were terrific.

The Shawarma is NOW available at BOTH Shouk locations:  Mt Vernon Triangle and Union Market District.

BASTA by Shouk inside Union Market is currently serving ONLY Falafel.

3 minutes ago, dslee said:

The Shawarma is NOW available

Emphasis on NOW - got it, thanks.

I'd have a tough time choosing between Shouk and Chaia.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, DonRocks said:

Emphasis on NOW - got it, thanks.

I'd have a tough time choosing between Shouk and Chaia.

You are welcome.

For me, I choose Shouk every time. 

For Mexican and with vegetarian options, I'm waiting for Amparo Fondita from Christian Irabién Gamboa to open at La Cosecha, the new Latin American Market in Union Market District.  Article by PoP:  La Cosecha “mercado. arte. cultura | Opening Summer 2019” in Union Market.  Last Summer, I visited Christian Irabién Gamboa's insanely delicious pop-up 9 times in a 8-week period at District Space.  Lots of Seafood and Vegetarian offerings.  Tortillas made with nixtamalized organic heritage corn by Manos de Maíz is a revelation.  The BEST and only Mexican food I will eat in DC to date!