Dal Grano, Homemade Pasta with Combine-Your-Own Sauces in Langley Shopping Center, McLean - Currently Looking for a New Chef

Dal Grano is next to the former Bistro Vivant, now Masala.  Bland is the key word here.  I had fettuccine with seafood white wine sauce.  The dish had some nicely cooked shrimp and calamari rings, and some mussels (not in shell).  I think it was the mussels that made the dish fishy, otherwise it had little flavor.  I also think the pasta is not firm enough.

• Like 1
On 6/13/2016 at 12:11 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Dal Grano is next to the former Bistro Vivant, now Masala.  Bland is the key word here.  I had fettuccine with seafood white wine sauce.  The dish had some nicely cooked shrimp and calamari rings, and some mussels (not in shell).  I think it was the mussels that made the dish fishy, otherwise it had little flavor.  I also think the pasta is not firm enough.

Definitely a different opinion here about Chef Oscar Reyes' pasta:

Apr 14, 2016 - "Dal Grano Review: The Fresh, New Face of Pasta in McLean" by Tim Carman on washingtonpost.com

I went back and tried 3 pastas. Rigatoni with garlic & olive oil, with broccoli added.  Fusilli with sausage, broccoli & cream sauce.  Veal raviolini with butter sage sauce.  I think the pasta is fine; however, the sauces are still a little on the bland side.  For example, I expected the garlic and olive oil sauce to be oilier and with more pungent garlic flavor.  The cream sauce with sausage really should have a little more bite from the sausage - they should use broccoli rabe instead of broccoli for even more bite.  On the other hand, they're not charging a lot of money.  

I don't know how to succeed as a restaurant in McLean.  Maybe they know the palate of a typical McLeaner but I'm not a fan.  

• Like 1

I recently got 3 pastas: [1] gemelli with sausage, broccoli & cream sauce. I thought it was pretty tasty, and would get it again. The deficiencies Eric notes above weren't issues for me. [2] spaghetti with bolognese. A perfectly fine meat sauce, but I'll switch to something else next time. [3] butternut squash ravioli in a sage butter sauce. these were excellent, and adding sage to their brown butter sauce was a good move, and helped the sauce.

My overall impression was favorable. This is, after all, a counter service pasta joint. Good takeout service. Portions aren't big, but neither are the prices.

• Like 1

Enzo Fargione, who now lives in Tampa, posted this on Facebook:

Dear Chef Friends
I have an OPPORTUNITY for one hard working culinary talent in Mc Lean, Va in the Langley Shopping Center, 1386 Chain Bridge Road 

DAL GRANO Deli/Restaurant is looking for a chef the cuisine to run the back of the house ASAP 
52-55 K year salary - 5 Days a week - 11 am to 9 pm - Paid vacations - great and professional working environment 

Please contact my good friend Josef at josef@dalgrano.com with your most updated resume for consideration and to schedule an interview.
Good luck to you all, this is indeed a very rare and wonderful opportunity to showcase your culinary skills.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:47 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Please contact my good friend Josef at josef@dalgrano.com with your most updated resume for consideration and to schedule an interview.

That email is either *very* full, or it doesn't exist - my letter to it bounced.

OopsScreenshot 2017-12-27 at 10.16.52.png

Went next door to buy a birthday present, so we stopped in for an early dinner.  Tried to stuffed pastas - ravioli with short ribs and veal raviolini.  Both were actually excellent for $14 each.  The pasta was firm, the filling tasty, and the sauces nicely flavored.  We also had their rib-eye special for $28, which came with a 12 oz rib-eye, broccolini and potatoes.  I asked for the steak medium rare but it came out pretty much well done.  The steak itself was tender, even if not cooked properly.

• Like 1