William "The Refrigerator" Perry (1962-), Legendary Nose Tackle for the Chicago Bears and Clemson Tigers

DonRocks

To anyone attending Clemson University during the glorious 1981-1982 season, when Clemson defeated Nebraska 22-15 in the Orange Bowl to become undefeated national champions, the name "William Perry" is universally beloved and just as famous as the name Brooks Robinson is in Baltimore.

The Fridge has fallen upon unspeakably hard times, and barring a miracle, his best days are behind him, but he will always be remembered with fondness and affection. Thank you, William, for enriching all of our lives - we all love you.

And I can personally vouch for any and all anecdotes you might hear about Perry's athletic exploits as being 100% true - he was a physical specimen unlike any other.

Jan 6, 2016 - "How William 'The Refrigerator' Perry Changed Betting Forever" by Adam Chandler on theatlantic.com

This is so sad to me, but I've been following The Fridge ever since he was in college, and he's drinking himself to death - honestly, I'm surprised he's still with us, and I don't think anybody can help him. People can talk about CTE, but the sad truth is, William is a lot like André the Giant was, in that he can drink a case of beer, and it's as if he hasn't had anything to drink at all. We all loved him at Clemson, and I don't know of a single person in this world who still doesn't.

And yes, he could dunk a basketball with *ease* - he was the strongest person I'd ever seen in my life.

"The Refrigerator's Stubborn Spiral" by Rick Telander on si.com

I saw the play where Walter Payton fell down behind the line of scrimmage at the 2-yard-line, and Fridge picked him up and threw him over the line into the end zone. The play was called back as a penalty (you're not allowed to do that), but he did it purely on instinct, and not knowing it was illegal - he just picked Payton up off the ground and threw him over everyone.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:57 PM, DonRocks said:

I saw the play where Walter Payton fell down behind the line of scrimmage at the 2-yard-line, and Fridge picked him up and threw him over the line into the end zone. The play was called back as a penalty (you're not allowed to do that), but he did it purely on instinct, and not knowing it was illegal - he just picked Payton up off the ground and threw him over everyone.

"William 'The Refrigerator' Perry and the Start of Big Man TDs"

"These are big rings and they're meant to be seen across the room, no doubt," said Poitras. The largest Super Bowl ring ever produced is a size 25 (the average size for a non-athlete male is 10), for William "Refrigerator" Perry, who won Super Bowl XX with the Chicago Bears in 1986. It is wide enough to let a half dollar coin through.

Jan 29, 2019 - "Big Bling: The History of Super Bowl Ring Design" by Jacopo Prisco on cnn.com