Pokémon Go

DonRocks

A situation:

I have a 100 IV Feraligatr (fully leveled up), and I also have a 100 IV Croconaw, which is currently at Level 20.

My strategy has been to assemble, essentially, one of each Pokemon, getting the highest-IV representative I can. For things over 2000 CP, I don't discard anything (I'm currently at Level 32). 

Using this strategy, it would dictate that I'd Power Up the Croconaw and not Evolve it - especially since I'm finding that it really doesn't matter what you leave in Pokegyms. (Just in the past few days, I've developed a brand new strategy for that - one that I believe will work very nicely under the current rules of the game: If I get a good, but not great Pokemon, I rename it "A," then leave it in a Pokegym - when it goes down, I merely Transfer it rather than spending a Revive and Potion to re-power it up. Why I didn't think of this before now? Because I'm somewhat dim.)

Do I Power Up my Croconaw to Level 30, and leave it as a Croconaw? Or do I Evolve it and have two 100 IV Feraligatrs? Under the current rules, I see very little need for extremely strong Pokemon, and I could always Evolve it later. As a supporting example, I had a good Igglybuff, and Evolved it; now, I have none, and I regret having done so. I guess I'm more of a "collector" than a "fighter" at this point, especially since I don't know other players and don't do the gigantic Raids.

On the other hand, an 1800 CP, "Not Great" Dragonite at Level 20 is probably still a better fighter than a 100 IV Croconaw at Level 30. Plus, I'm finding Stardust to be the rarest of commodities - I have 97.8 Pokemon at Level 20, such as Cloyster and Gengar, that would probably be a better use of 75,000 Stardust than the Croconaw.

I'm not even considering Movesets in this scenario - I still haven't figured out how important they are. However, I've only gotten *one* item that will change my Short Attack (which I'm saving) - I've never seen another, for either a Short Attack, or a Long Attack.

I suspect if I continue to level up, I'll run into variations of this issue - does anyone have any ideas? 

---

In case anyone needs an Alakazam, I found what appears to be an Abra hatchery.

To get the TM cards (which changes a Pokémon's attack moves), you have to participate in raids.  They are offered as reward for winning raids.

I keep some Pokemons because they look cool, otherwise I only keep Pokemons that are good attackers or are good defenders.  As for attacking, you don't need 100%IV (since the Pokémon defenders deteriorate over time). 

Regarding the new release of Generation 3 Pokemon today, I just caught a wild Clefairy that was Level 32-33 ... I'm pretty sure the previous maximum was Level 30. Note also the "cloudy weather" bonus.

Welp, guess my next 200 coins are going towards a bag upgrade.

Yesterday, I had 350 spaces in my Pokémon bag; this morning I had 400. It seems that with the release of Generation 3, sorry, *Hoenn* Pokémons, Niantic has given people 50 extra spaces in their Pokémon bag.

However, a friend already had 400 spaces in her bag. Instead of being bumped up to 450, she instead got 50 extra spots in her "Items" bag, giving her 650 instead of 600.

So I wonder if they made 400 the dividing line between giving you 50 in your Pokémon bag vis-a-vis giving you 50 in your Items bag.

This is odd: For the Holiday Event, Pokemon had three boxes on sale - as of today, the contents (and maybe even the cost) of the boxes have changed: I'm certain about this. Does anyone know if the expiration date of the sale has changed? I can't find anything on the internet about it.

This morning (shortly after midnight), I caught the best wild Pokemon (for its type) I've ever caught: a 100 IV, Level 35 Furret with the best-possible Moveset for a Furret. Granted, it's a Furret, but it's fully evolved, fully powered, and there's literally nothing I can do to make it better.

Were that they would all be this easy.

This afternoon, I caught my first-ever Strong (and third-ever) Snorlax, and took down a Sandshrew in a Raid - I've had good fortune in this game over the past month.

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I’m level 40

:blink:

I've always wondered how people get there - it seems impossible; yet, there are a shocking amount of Level 40s in this area. Do you buy coins, or speed up your distance in some way? (You can PM me if you're doing something contra). :)

I have yet to spend a dime on this game, just like I've yet to make a dime from this website. 

I'll die "poor, but proud," as my granpappy used to say.

9 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I work next to Tysons mall.  I walk thru every morning and lunch time.  On weekends I often go to fdr.  I mass evolve every week, using 2 devices and lucky egg.  I raid regularly.  I get coins from gyms.  I grind harder when xps are doubled during events - I got 1,000,000 xp in 3 days once.

This is not possible. When you say "devices," do you mean the Technical Machines? If so, how on Earth do you get them? I raid most days, and usually get 50 coins a day; yet, it sounds like I'm about 10-15% of where you are. Are you putting your cell phone on your dog or something? :lol: Seriously, do you have any special software? I'm playing a "clean" game (with the exception of too much driving to places), and I'm at an early Level 33 - I started in the Summer of 2016, play quite a bit, and don't see how this is possible under any circumstances. Maybe you know something I don't? How do you get 50-70 Pidgeys (or equivalent) in a week?! Is there a way to get Mega-XP that I'm unaware of? 1,000,000 XP in 3 days is impossible, even playing 24 hours a day. I'm not doubting you; I just want to know for myself! Lately, it seems like I can get about 12,000 XP per day (not including things such as Pidgey Parties, and I've been pretty happy with that; what you're talking about is an order of magnitude higher.

What is FDR? The Memorial? Is that fertile ground? 

I catch a ton of pokemons, mostly pidgeys, ratata and sentret.  I pinap the weak ones for double candies.  My goal was to evolve 140 Pokemon’s per week, using a phone and an iPad and a lucky egg - that’s over 100,000 xp just from evolving.  When I got 1,000,000 xps in 3 days, I mass evolved twice, for over 400,000 XP’s.  Tier 5 raids were 20,000 xps, 40,000 if you lucky egged. I used 1 lucky egg once and did 3 tier 5 raids for 120,000 xps.  

Some guy got 5,000,000 xps in one week, most from raiding during double xp event with lucky eggs.

a ton of people in my neighborhood are now lvl 40.  I have a neighborhood group that raid together, and then there’s discord fir raid coordination.

Can these two devices use the same game? I didn't realize that. 

One problem I have is that I have only one partner (DIShGo, Level 32) to Raid with - we can take out something that's *maybe* 24,000 CP, but nothing more than that. I took out a 12,000+ CP Sandshrew today, by myself, and was delighted.

We should probably come hang out with you one day - the best way to learn is "trial by fire," IMO.

Also, is there any way to get in touch with another player? 

16 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Can these two devices use the same game? I didn't realize that. 

One problem I have is that I have only one partner (DIShGo, Level 32) to Raid with - we can take out something that's *maybe* 24,000 CP, but nothing more than that. I took out a 12,000+ CP Sandshrew today, by myself, and was delighted.

I should probably come hang out with you one day - the best way to learn is "trial by fire," IMO.

You can play two accts at the same time on 2 devices. I only do that when mass evolving.  I’m not an expert on discord, it’s a chat and you have to get the server invite for your locality.  There are also Facebook groups for Pokemon.

I seem to have an intractable problem. Does anyone have any recommendations for what (if anything) to do when amassing ridiculous numbers of candies for non-evolving Pokemons? 

For example, I have a 95.6 IV Murkrow. Every so often, I'll catch one with the vague hope that it will be 97.8 or even 100.0 (but they never are - so I discard them, and add 4 candies to my ever-growing number). 

Is there anything at all to do with these, other than to power up a Pokemon I really don't feel like powering up?

Pokemon should give users the option to trade 100 candies of any given Pokemon for 1 special candy - I think that would be a great idea, and ideal for someone in a position like this.

Eric, in addition to standard Evolve, Feebas needs to be walked 20 km as a buddy. Do you know if "any old Feebas" qualifies for that 20 km, or does it need to be the specific one you Evolve?

(Also, do you know of a good reference, so I don't need to keep asking you these questions? I'm not sure anyone else even reads this thread.)

Silph Road Reddit (very good reference, if something of a "fire hose" of information) has a thread that strongly suggests that the specific Feebas you want to evolve must be walked for 20 km.  Any Feebas can be walked for candy necessary to evolve, however.  Also possibly in flux is the issue as to whether you can evolve the 20km-walked Feebas while it is still your buddy, or must it be swapped out.

4 hours ago, JBag57 said:

Silph Road Reddit (very good reference, if something of a "fire hose" of information) has a thread that strongly suggests that the specific Feebas you want to evolve must be walked for 20 km.  Any Feebas can be walked for candy necessary to evolve, however.  Also possibly in flux is the issue as to whether you can evolve the 20km-walked Feebas while it is still your buddy, or must it be swapped out.

This implies that you must walk 20 km for each Feebas you wish to evolve.

Maybe one day we can all be like this guy (whom I drove to many junior tournaments when he was a kid - if I recall, he was also National Champion in Yu-Gi-Oh! before switching over to Pokemon).

15 hours ago, JBag57 said:

I think it is the case that you must walk each Feebas that you want to evolve that full 20K.  Now if I could just catch one...

I've got 1 Feebas so far.  Just so you know, there are several Corphish nests at Meadowlark Gardens (in Vienna) right now.  I plan on going this weekend  until I have enough to evolve a Crawdaunt.

I live relatively close to Meadowlark Gardens (I pass it on one of our two routes into downtown Vienna), and I went there on Monday and snagged 4-5 Corphish in just the parking lot.  I am about halfway to evolving, so I need to go back this weekend, if not sooner.  I mostly missed out on the Wailmers at Southside/Yeonas park, in that they did not seem to be spawning as much during the evening as they apparently were during the day. 

Does everyone have their Dratinis Evolved?

I wanted to offer up a cautionary tale so you won't repeat my mistake: I was about a mile from home, and clicked on a gym when I was parked. Then, I drove home, and once the 120-second countdown began, it said I was too far away - not only didn't it let me Battle, but I lost my raid piece for the day.

FYI, on the website pokeassistant.com, I had a Feebas for which I entered the stats. There were four possibilities - I powered it up *TEN TIMES* hoping to resolve any ambiguity, and all four still remained. Beware - this particular one still ranges from 82.2 - 91.1. NOT FAIR - I was told via many sources that things would resolve after five power-ups; I wasted about 30,000 Stardust.

When they talk of Pokémon, what do they mean by "bulk?"

Also, I understand this is essentially "Rock, Paper, Scissors," but what are the best attacking legendary Pokémon? (I'm thinking of using some rare candy to power up, and need to decide between a 93.3 Articuno, an 88.8 Kyogre, and an 88.8 Latias.)

One other question that is a bit more complex (*): I have an 86.7-IV, Level 30 Tyranitar with a Bite (Dark) / Stone Edge (Rock) move set. Apparently, you want to have either Bite / Crunch (both Dark) or Smack Down / Stone Edge (both Rock). If I use a Quick TM, I'm guaranteed to get the latter; if I use a Charged TM, I have a 50% chance of getting the former. If this sounds like a no-brainer, it's made more complicated by my already having an 84.4-IV, Level 28 Tyranitar with the former - is there any wisdom to gambling on the best Dark move set, so I can have one with the best Rock move set, and another with the best Dark move set; or do I play it safe, and have two with the best Rock move set?

Have any advanced players here *not* found Discord? I read the "South South Arlington" channel (here's a list of NoVa communities), and these folks are seriously hardcore - if it wasn't for them, I'd have my Mewtwo (via a chance EX-Raid Pass), but wouldn't have made the connections needed to get other legendary Pokémons - if someone really wanted to, they could participate in numerous legendary raids each day (I wouldn't recommend participating on Discord unless you've advanced to at least Level 30 - you can certainly read it, but I wouldn't write a whole lot because these people are quite knowledgeable and devoted). You'll know when it's time to stop lurking and start participating - it's a very friendly group.

(*) - Never mind: That question is flawed - one of the South South Arlington players reminded me that Smack Down was an Event-only fast attack, and can no longer be attained. (Thanks, Teeeeeeeacup! I gambled with a Charged TM, and got Bite / Crunch on my first try.)

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I'm a Tropius away from collecting all the available Pokemons.  I have one lined up but my trading partner and I are waiting until we become "ultra" friends.

The more hardcore players are trying to collect every variant of every Pokemon (i.e., shiny, alola).

It's insane what people do - some of the people on South South Arlington Discord have 40-million points! There are an absurd number of Unown variations - I don't have any, but I got my first Deoxys last week.

I'm also trying to get every variant of every Pokemon, but at a much more leisurely pace - its' also about impossible: e.g., there are Blastoises, Shiny Blastoises, Sunglass Blastoises, and Shiny-Sunglass Blastoises (this is actually one I have all four of). I have Generation 1 complete except for Kangkashan - I find trading to be a fruitless endeavor, in my limited experience - high IV Pokemons have their IVs wiped out during the trade.

What is an "Ultra Friend?" I have one "Best Friend," and I thought that was as far as you can go.

DIShGo and I each have a 10/15 Ex-Raid pass at the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia - if anyone out there sees this, and wants them, they'll allow up to 4 people, and you can have them for free - just write me here.

Not sure if anyone knows this or not, but when Appraising a Pokemon, there are a series of messages, and if it's a top-notch appraisal, the last (if you're on Team Valor) is either:

"I'm blown away by its stats - WOW!"

or

"It's got excellent stats! How exciting!"

The former means that its strongest attribute(s) is Level 15.

The latter means that it has no Level 15 attributes, but the ones listed are 13 or 14.

Is there any reason why Niantic doesn’t allow Charged TMs to be used during Community Days that would allow access to the special move set? Even a roll of the dice would be better than no chance at all.  

Also ... wouldn’t it be nice to have a “Devolve” option if you wanted to undo your Evolve?

And, since everyone is so interested ... wouldn't it be nice for Pokemons to randomly turn into Shinies when you Evolve them?