Other Travel Forums

porcupine

In addition to this forum, what travel-related websites do you go to for detailed, in-depth information when planning a trip? I'm tired of sifting through tripadvisor and lonelyplanet and all the other travel sites that pop up whenever I'm trying to research. I'd love to find a forum that is to travel what dr.com is to the DC dining scene! Thanks.

I rely quite a bit on Design Sponge (http://www.designsponge.com/category/travel)  Not all the cities are up to date but I have found interesting neighborhoods, restaurants, and especially, local shops in many cities worldwide featured on the website. The site itself is a great resource for design ideas and has a most fun column called "Living in" where they feature a movie and its costume and design elements. 

• Like 1

I would be interested in this as well!! I don't know of a good forum like DR for travel-related discussion. When I research a trip, I come here :), look at Eater's 38 lists, look for a Tom S. postcard in the WaPo, check Serious Eats for city-specific articles, and scan TripAdvisor, Yelp, and do internet searches for the "top" activities in a given area. The 36 Hours In XXXX column in the New York Times usually has some good ideas. Cross referencing these resources usually gets me to a list of things I'd like to do. Oh, and I'm usually working in whatever National Park Service site is in the area. 

• Like 1

I haven't hit upon a satisfactory clearing house for all cities.  TripAdvisor is probably the best overall, but required a lot of drilling down and there are often misses (some of their#1 ranked places are clunkers).  Open table and thefork reviews are pretty good too.  Yelp is very hit and miss outside of a few big US cities.  I haven't been impressed with NYT 36 hours series, I think SeriousEats's travel content is great overall but they are not as exhaustive and can be uneven.

For single city, Parisbymouth would be my gold stand.  It's usefully organized and I found it very reliable for my tastes.  Usually you can hit upon a couple good best of lists for each city, most bigger cities have at least a few papers and magazines that puts out annual lists.  Then look at the menu and TripAdvisor.  After my trip last fall, I definitely would not fully trust Michelin, whatever they grade on had only a passing relationship to the quality of the food and service. 

For travel guides, I think Frommers and Fodor's seem to have the most consistent and thorough foodie coverage.  Rough Guides and Moon are heavily author dependent.  My experience with Rick Steve's and Lonely Planet has been consistently poor. 

• Like 1

FlyerTalk, AINEC.  The signal-to-noise ratio could sometimes be a bit better on certain forums, but folks there are as (knowledgeably) obsessed about travel -- and gaming the airline, hotel, or credit card "loyalty" programs -- as people are here about food and cooking.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

FlyerTalk, AINEC.  The signal-to-noise ratio could sometimes be a bit better on certain forums, but folks there are as (knowledgeably) obsessed about travel -- and gaming the airline, hotel, or credit card "loyalty" programs -- as people are here about food and cooking.

AINEC? A google search yielded a lot of poker talk. There is no "ainec.com". Please elaborate.