Joe's Place Pasta and Pizza - Joe Farruggio's Mini-Chain in Arlington and Vienna - Open since 1978

I was surprised to not see a thread for Joe's Pasta and Pizza.  After all its been around for decades in various locations; the North Arlington and Vienna locations remain.  Its simply a mainstay as a neighborhood restaurant. 

Admittedly I know or more properly knew and was friendly with Joe.  So I'm a fan of the restaurateur and his restaurants.

Quality of food?   Well even as I ate at the different locations quite a lot, I'd never call it the best quality.  I would call it great value and friendly, and a perfect place for inexpensive Italian comfort food.  My personal favorite were always the buffets, and my recent trip took me back there.  Do you want to fill up on Italian comfort food?   Go to Joe's.  Eat up.  In fact, pig out if you can.  Then nap for the rest of the day and be glad you didn't have to cook.   :D

For my tastes the buffet and the roasted chicken within it were always the highlights.  Now for many many many others in the areas where they have been ( North Arlington, Vienna, formerly Fairfax, Gaithersburg, and Bailey's)  I've known its always been both a dependable takeout option, and its an absolutely great place for families, kids and groups. 

The pizza?   Well as much as I liked Joe, it was never my favorite. 

But the buffet.  Had it again recently.  It still is a great deal.  In my book emphasize the roast chicken and add some other items....and its a terrific way to fill your tummy with Italian comfort food and leave the cooking to Joe et al.

Joe's used to be my go-to pizza delivery place but now my favorite is Lost Dog.  Joe's minestrone soup is terrific.  They also give you lots of food.  I wish they had pizza like they do at Il Canale (sister restaurant).  Then I might eat there again.

• Like 1

On July 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM, hopsing said:

Joe's used to be my go-to pizza delivery place but now my favorite is Lost Dog.  Joe's minestrone soup is terrific.  They also give you lots of food.  I wish they had pizza like they do at Il Canale (sister restaurant).  Then I might eat there again.

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on Joe's if only b/c it has been very popular for takeout for decades, not just years.  Even more surprising I couldn't find it for Vienna, Arlington, or multiple locations for pizza or Italian.  Oversight I guess, but my gosh the volume of drivers that must have worked for Joe's.

Drove by Joe's today and noticed their signage was down.  Visited their Facebook page and found this:

We have some exciting news to announce...

Since 1978, we have been dedicated to providing a family oriented Italian restaurant experience to our beloved customers in Arlington and beyond. With that, we have decided to make it even better by partnering with our cousin, Joe Farruggio, owner and founder of il Canale in Georgetown, to bring his world renowned Neapolitan Pizza and Italian cuisine to Joe's Place in Arlington. il Canale has been ranked in the "Top 70 restaurants with Pizzeria" in the world.

We are excited to update you on the menu changes and our new chef from Italy in the coming weeks and look forward to your feedback

Stay Tuned...

I'm excited about bringing the Il Canale pizza over to Joe's!  Maybe some other dishes too.  We went once to Il Canale a few years ago.  We liked the food but not the parking situation in Georgetown nor the cramped confines of the restaurant.   Neither one will be a problem at Joe's.

Had lunch here yesterday and was very impressed.  Impressed enough to contemplate what I would order next time I go there.  My friend and I both had the spaghetti del mare (fresh big juicy mussels, shrimp, scallops, and octopus).  Felt like I was at the Amalfi Coast.  They have a great lunch deal ($11 for any pizza or  pasta).

365476563_amodomio.JPG.e73ee380310519d917e90a4691767f0c.JPG

• Like 2

Did carryout from A Modo Mio last night.  What a great meal. Caprese, minestrone soup (same as the old Joe's soup), lasagna, and paccheri bolognese with added meatballs. My husband said the meatballs were better than the old Joe's meatballs.  My husband enjoyed his paccheri bolognese and I thought my lasagna was excellent. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the lasagna I was so focused on eating it.  paccheri.JPG.d1e9c8cf613d379dfce6bc55421a72f4.JPG I'm putting this restaurant in my regular rotation.

minestrone.JPG

caprese.JPG

• Like 3